Small lunchroom offering sandwiches, baked s, cakes, savory dishes, weekly specials, and coffee. Dinner food and takeaway is available later in the day. Biodegradable ware is used for takeaway, or bring your own containers. Situated in the city centre next to a canal, a 15 minute walk from both train stations, and tram 17 stops next door. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, European, Dutch, Bakery, Take-out

First Review by Alison Boyd
Phina
Phina

Great food and good prices

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

I liked this place so much I made an account to write a review for them. A mere 5 min cycle from the Hague Academy, Baklust offers really tasty, filling food at affordable prices. I went there thrice in a row to have the seiten sandwich - the seiten portions were generous, though I thought it could be more spicy! The bread was also really nice, with a good sourish tang as befitting of proper sourdough. I liked the use of spelt as well!

One thing I am rather puzzled about is the inconsistent serving sizes. The first time I ate there, I had a massive serving of seiten, and two thin slices of bread. The vegan sour cream was served in a separate bowl. The second time I had it, the seiten portion definitely shrunk, and the cream was drizzled over rather than in a separate bowl. The third time, the bread slice was hefty, and the tomato slices had changed to cherry tomatoes. This time, having cycled for an entire day, I asked for more cream in a bowl and they very generously provided that for me.

Not really a complaint per se, just something rather odd!

I've also taken away their apple cake (gf, v), empanada (v), and banana walnut bread. The apple cake was quite good, though a bit dry due to the gluten-free flour. The empanada was filled with more seiten and vegetables, and made a really delicious dinner when heated up in the oven. The banana walnut bread was not too sweet, and a tasty dessert.

Pity they are closing for two weeks, but I will come back just to eat here again!

Pros: Great food , Good value , Very friendly staff
Cons: Inconsistent portions
Sarita
Sarita

Variety of vegan food - sandwich and cake

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2014

Some of the dishes I like and some are less. They also have plant based milk for the coffee. They always have a vegan cake to choose from.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday May 20, 2014

Pros: In the city, cozy, vegan options
Cons: Pricy
Lynette
Lynette

super to be fed!

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2014

Vegan options are a little scarce in Belgium. This bakery has some tasty options and soya milk though. Well worth a visit.

Viviane
Viviane

LOVE!

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2014

My favorite place in The Hague where I lived for two and a half years. I like everything about it.

I was/am crazy about their 'pasteitje' (savory pie) and love the grain soy cappuccino.
Love it that it is organic and that they work with season food. I also love how the place looks.

If I could I would have eaten there daily. Service and people are just wonderful.

You feel that the food/menu is made with love.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy and organic, Good service and ambience
xyvox
xyvox

One of my favorite places...

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2013

Really nice place to sit, drink coffee, eat delicious food. The atmosphere is perfect for me. I had the tomato soup with pesto which was tasty.
After that I had the home made seitan steak and that was mind blowing!
Last but not least I had the mocca/hazelnut cake. Big and amazing!

Pros: good food, great staff, cosy atmosphere
acadiechick
acadiechick

Great place!

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2013

I went to Baklust for the first time a few weeks ago. I always thought they only had vegetarian dishes but I discovered that they do have vegan options, which is great for me. I absolutely loved it! The atmosphere is cozy, the staff very friendly and the food was very good (portion sizes were generous). Will def be back.

Pros: Cheap!, good food, great service
Appel
Appel

favorite coffee place

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

I love this place, I've been there for coffee, lunch and dinner. The atmosfere is great, the staff very friendly and the location excellent. The fact its child-friendly is a def. pro for me but i've never seen it crowded with screaming offspring. I highly recommend the "citroentaart", its perfect and the coffee is very good too. If you're not into coffee; try their excellent chai!

Pros: lemon pie, childfriendly, coffee
Cons: portions can be a bit small
Maakun
Maakun

Best atmosphere

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

Baklust is a lunchroom located near the city center. Since a few months they're also open for dinner, but I haven't enjoyed that yet so I'll just review the stuff they have during the day.

While going out for dinner as a vegan can be a bit hard sometimes, going out for lunch is harder, and having a sunday hangover day with cakes is almost impossible. Unless you go to Baklust ofcourse.

While a lot of their stuff is vegetarian, they always have multiple vegan options for lunch (most of which change weekly too) and they always have at least one vegan cake.

I love the atmosphere, which is very cosy and a bit alternative. The staff is absolutly amazing, I don't think I've ever been anywhere where people are so friendly and look so happy to be working there.

The only downside is that the food is not cheap (but it's organic!). And they are a bit too child-friendly for my taste, hahaha.

One of the best places to hang out on a sunday afternoon with friends to sample great food and have some organic drinks.

Pros: Great food, Amazing staff
Cons: I need more vegan cakes :)
kuni
kuni

lovely atmosphere

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

I don't think anybody can dislike the cosy atmosphere here, with all the different chairs etc. On top of that the food is really good. Once inside we didn't feel rushed and really took the time to enjoy. Only downside is the price of the food, which is a bit high at times. It's worth it in the end, but still a bit much for people on a budget.

Pros: atmosphere, friendly staff, location near the canal
Cons: prices
Missha
Missha

Lovely place, well worth a visit

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2013

Very cosy place with friendly staff and a great ambiance . Can get very crowded. We went there for lunch on Sunday and we had to wait a bit for a table but it was well worth the wait. We both had the grilled seitan filet sandwich and it was really tasty. For desert I had a piece of vegan chocolate cake with cherries and cream. Menu is mostly vegetarian, but vegan items are clearly marked.

Pros: lovely food with vegan options, atmosphere, friendly staff
hanswurst
hanswurst

Good food, nice pies :)

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2013

It's a nice little restaurant, with a great ambiance. The look of the restaurant is very much like that of a living room. I've been here lots of times and enjoyed it every single time. The portions are good. The only thing is, sometimes it takes a bit long before your food arrives at the table. The staff is friendly and you have a lot good food to choose from.
Nowadays they're also open in the evening hours (till 09pm/21u)
I would recommend to take a "broodje seitan".

Pros: Friendly staff, Opening hours, Good food (vegan pies!!)
Cons: Waiting time (sometimes), Sometimes so crowded, you can't sit
MelanieSchram
MelanieSchram

Love the cake

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2012

It is a small and lovely lunchroom with the best cake of the Netherlands. You can go and enjoy, you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Nice staff, Homemade, Adjustable
Cons: Crowded at times
bigcarrot
bigcarrot

Cosy with good food

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

Cosy vegetarian lunchroom with vegan options. Friendly and helpful staff. The vegan pie was delicious. Also nice that the confectionery served with the tea was vegan. I sure will be returning here for lunch.

Pros: vegan options, quality of the food, friendly staff
Joloco
Joloco

Lovely place, worth a visit

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

We spent two weeks roaming in the Netherlands, and this was our favourite place. It's a nicely-decorated cafe with friendly staff and a good atmosphere.

The vegan options are marked on the menu, our favourites were the seitan sandwich (so much seitan overflowing from the bread!) and the lentil salad (the name doesn't really do this justice - we're not salad-eating people normally, but this thing is so delicious and loaded with mushrooms and smoked tofu). The "empanada" is also nice (for the Brits, an empanada is essentially a Cornish pastie). Top these off with a soy cappuccino and maybe a piece of cake for dessert!

Well worth visiting, even worth making a diversion for if you're near Den Haag and want a nice veg*n lunch.

Pros: nice setting, nice staff, nice food
eveliene99
eveliene99

Lovely

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

Lovely and cozy little breakfast and lunchcafe with really yummy and healthy food. They also have vegan options or can make some dishes vegan, which is really nice. Super friendly staff and I always have a piece of cake to take home with me.

Pros: Lots of options, Healthy food, Friendly staff
Cons: Only one toilet
Gudrun
Gudrun

Nice veggie lunchroom in The Hague

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

Baklust is one of my favorite hang-outs in The Hague. If it is for lunch - for example for a soup and a filled hearty pastry or an empanada with salad -, or for one of the great cakes and a (soy) cappuccino, I love to pass by whenever I visit the city center. There are quite a few really delicious vegan options, and one soup and one cake of the day are always vegan. I also love the bread, and the chai (made with rice milk).

The staff is very nice and helpful. Sometimes it can take a while until someone comes to take your order, but the general atmosphere in this restaurant more than compensates for this. Just bring some time ;-).

Pros: good food, nice staff, cosy atmosphere
Cons: closed in the evenings
LaurieXB
LaurieXB

Great vegetarian / vegan cafe in the Hague

5 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2012

Baklust is a vegetarian / vegan cafe in The Hague. The decor is cute and individualistic, with lovely mis-matched furniture and crockery. They offer a range of sandwiches, soups, salads and cakes, and always have several vegan options available. They also make their own chai latte and ice tea. Staff is very friendly. A great place for lunch or afternoon tea!

Pros: Vegan options, Nice atmosphere, Tasty food
Cons: A little off the beaten track
Amiskcat
Amiskcat

Yummy desserts

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2011

We really enjoyed visiting Baklust while in the Hague! They have great coffee (and will make soy cappuccinos!) and a small selection of vegan desserts including a great chocolate cake with soy cream frosting.
They also have several vegan options on their menu including seitan sandwiches and empanadas, making this a nice stop for lunch.
A very kid-friendly place, as well - they have a little area with toys for wee ones to play with while you devour your food.

Pros: vegan options, kid-friendly, outdoor patio
VeganBeHappy
VeganBeHappy

Perfect for Sundays

4 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2011

One of the things that I like the most during relaxed days is to go to Baklust and get a nice lovely Vegan cake. This is one of the few places that I have around where they have regular vegan cakes and pastries. The place is really cozy to go with some friends and have a nice chat, also just to go alone and read or just do nothing and contemplate the canal that runs in front of it (look at the pictures on the website). I love the tables, each of them of unique form, color and with all kinds of chairs ... Usually the waiters are young people that speak Dutch and English with no problem. The menu consists of soups of the day, quiches of different kinds or empanada, several salads and main dishes. All the dishes can be chosen with fresh self baked bread. More or less half of the menu is vegan and on request they can veganise dishes if possible. As well they usually have several fresh smoothies and juices. I forgot to mention just as an small note that the products are biological/organic.
Check http://www.veganbehappy.org/?p=1137 for some cake samples! yummy yummy : - )

Pros: self baked food, great cakes, great atmosphere
Cons: Family friendly
mel723
mel723

I wish I could eat there everyday!

5 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2010

Baklust is my favourite place in The Hague. They have great savoury dishes, great cakes and great coffee. The menu is quite large, so there's something for everyone. I think the carrot cake is my alltime favourite.
The atmosphere is warm, welcoming and cosy.
Kids & dogs allowed.

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Cool crew
Cons: Can be busy
Veganismo
Veganismo

Best in Europe!

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2010

This has to be one of the best restaurants for vegetarians/vegans in Europe. I recently toured 6 countries and this was my favorite place. They serve you big portions of very delicious and hearty food at a very reasonable price.

My wife and I had 2 entrees, both of which were large and came with a side salad and incredibly wonderful bread. Mine was a flavorful curry, which I loved, and hers was a baked filled pastry, which was out of this world. For dessert, we split the vegan Almond Cream cake. I am not exaggerating when I say this was the best vegan dessert I have had to date. We're talking 8 years of being vegan and going all over the world just to try out food. LA, NY, London, Rome...you name it. This dessert was to die for! So, we took 2 slices of other cakes to go. We also had 2 hot chocolates. Are you keeping track? All that came to only 27 Euros.

The atmosphere at Baklust is nice. Kind of like eating in someone's kitchen. We were crammed at a little table, because the place was full when we came in, but it was still comfortable. A lot of action going on inside, but still quiet enough to enjoy yourself. They have an English menu, and everyone there speaks English, in case your Dutch is rusty!

Pros: Flavor, DESSERT!, Friendly
Alison Boyd
Alison Boyd

Lovely Baklust

5 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2010

A haven for vegetarian delights, sweet and savoury. Tasty food, not too expensive, in a cosy and friendly atmosphere. Great for lunch, or tea and cake. Good selection of teas - and a fine collection of teapots.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly atmosphere, Helpful staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Baklust: