Independently-owned bakery with vegan cupcakes, chipwiches (chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich), cookies, and cream pies. Every third Sunday is vegan day, with additional options available. more-less
1025 N Fillmore St, Ste G (Washington Blvd )
Arlington, Virginia 22201
571-970-6460

Open Mon-Thur, Sat 10am-8pm; Fri 10am-10pm, Sun 10am-6pm

First Review by Derina
cookiem
cookiem

Oh yes, vegan goodies- just ask

4 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2013

It was interesting that there are many items listed as vegan, but not one of them in the display is vegan. They are all hidden in the back. Though they are happy to get them for you, how does one know what to order if one cannot see them? Vegans often have to make leaps of faith, but it would be great to see all the choices before buying.

Nice deal though for cupcakes buy 5 and get 1 free. The cupcakes are kind of small, and I am not sure if it's just me, or the box they were in. They have traditional cupcake liners, so they are the ones you'd make at home in terms of size.

Anyhow, the vegan cookies are good, standard fare with items like salted apricot oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chip, ginger snap and oatmeal - a few choices can have creme filling. The prices for these are good, so, don't hesitate!

The cupcakes are interestingly different - strawberry shortcake, chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, pumpkin. I say different because the cake portion is just more moist for some than others. I only tried two, not wanting plain chocolate or vanilla, and I was quite pleased. The flavor of the frosting for the strawberry shortcake is what made the cupcake so tasty! The flavor of the red velvet cupcake cake portion made that very tasty, but it was more crumbly/ drier than the strawberry shortcake's vanilla cake base. I liked both of the frostings' textures- airy and not greasy or heavy. Prices were reasonable for the area.

Well done for a non-vegan shop to have such a great variety. Thanks! Will return for sure! Note: parking can be a pain if you drive. Hours are longer than many bakeries, so go after dinner or before, but not too late.

Pros: Vegan cupcakes, Vegan cookies, Vegan creme-filled cookies
Cons: No vegan items displayed, Small cupcakes
Guest
Guest

yum-E!

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2013

Very good vegan cookies, especially peanut butter, and delicious cupcakes. Family-run, friendly folks. One of my favorites.

Pros: very tasty, friendly, vegan selections everyday
Cons: none
Derina
Derina

Awesome small business w./ delicious vegan options

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2012

I came by Bakeshop on Thanksgiving weekend to pick up a vegan cupcake but discovered that the shop was closed. Justin, the owner, was inside and saw us come to the door. He came out and told us to wait and ran back inside to bring us cookies he had in the back. I told him we were vegan (awkwardly) and he went back inside to pull out a vegan chipwich to give us instead as a "thank you" for coming by. It was a really nice gesture and a good reminder why shopping at small businesses is so important. I highly recommend Bakeshop for anyone looking for a sweet treat in the DC area (worth the metro ride).

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly service

Dear Owner and Manager of Bakeshop: