CLOSED: Bake the Difference

Little, all vegan bakery and cafe located in the city center in the Sao Jose area. This cozy place serves vegan sweets and savories, fresh juices, tea and coffee. A different soup and main dish are offered at lunch daily. No refined sugars and no alcohol. Raw and gluten free options. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Portugese, Bakery, Juice bar
Rua de Sao Jose 23 (Metro: Avenida or Restauradores)
Lisbon, Portugal 1150-321
+351-211545812; +351-924401894

Open Mon-Fri 9.30-19.00, closed Sat-Sun.

First Review by santiyeve
Nia
Nia

Bake the difference, come back!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

The best vegan place in Lisbon, it is soooo sad I read now it's closed!!! I came there a few times, always enjoyed a lot and my friends (vegans, non vegans) too. Chocolate cake was reaaaally good. Hope they return because vegan restaurants are needed, especially in Portugal and-its capital! Let's make the difference together:)

Pros: excellent food, friendly stuff, 100%vegan
vinnyk
vinnyk

Best place in Lisbon

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2012

It's a shame if Bake the Difference is permanently closed, because we had our best lunches here. Great sandwiches and specials and fantastic vegan cakes/muffins. Amazing value, can not fault it.

Pros: Sandwiches, Location, Price
richardlanc
richardlanc

This place is now closed

3 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

I tried to go here today (16th July 2012), but the people there said they had just closed - possibly not permanently, but they couldn't give out any more information than that. A big shame..

vegantonio
vegantonio

You get addicted...

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

to the smile of Eunice and the friendliness of her staff. Two people cooking and baking really good. Very nice atmosphere ... we eat there everytime we are in Lisbon and it is difficoult not to get there. You will have to refrain yourself... from the excellent muffins and cakes. Don't miss the chance if you are in Lisbon

Pros: excellent food, Atmosphere, friendliness
JMarin
JMarin

Only 100% Vegan Place in Lisbon

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

Hope to see more soon, but until now bake the difference is the only 100% Vegan place in Lisbon. Great food, always creative and tasty. Great for lunch and to spend the afternoon eating delicious toasts and all kinds of sweets and other delicious snacks. Unexpensive and with very friendly staff.

Pros: Food, Location, Concept

Sonita Amor
Sonita Amor

Friendly cafe

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

Daily lunch menus combined with a permanent menu.

Pros: Lunches or snaks, Good menu offers
Cons: Very small, Doesn't open on weekends
TelmoBarradasAlcobia
TelmoBarradasAlcobia

All you need

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

From the first time, the service has good and friendly, the food is perfect, for soups to main courses, and especially the great chocolat cake. It's as cheap as any "tasca" (crapy restaurant that may have great ou lousy food) and never fails. Unfortunally, it closes early and on must weekends...

Pros: great food, variety all vegan, prize
Cons: closes at dinner, closes on weekends, no alcool
Rosedale
Rosedale

Beautiful food with overwhelming choice

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

We visited This lovely Lisbon cafe for lunch and were bowled over by the service, choice, price and quality of the food. The owners spent some time explaining the different items on the menu in English and recommended some dishes for us to eat. We had soup and a panini for our meal; both of which were so tasty, fresh and a good combination of flavours. We were so impressed we bought 2 of their pasties to have for dinner and 2 muffins for dessert to take away. Together with drinks this was under 20 euro; amazing value. I would highly recommend this cafe and if we weren't continuing our travels would probably be eating there every day.

Pros: Beautiful food, Great service and choice, Inexpensive
hurvinek
hurvinek

just perfect

5 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2012

What else can i say about this place, i mean its been 6 months since we went to lisbon and we are planning to come back, and one reason are the muffins at bakethedifference! not kidding :) suuuperfriendly owner, nice and simple interieur. very good prices. the warm meals: healthy and yummy!!! and those empanadas just dont go out of my memory. hope to come back soon.

Pros: empanadas, muffins, the owner is such a nice woman
PrincesaMichelle
PrincesaMichelle

AMAZING in every way!

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

We ate here twice because we loved it so much. Great service with very friendly staff. Excellent choices. Completely vegan. Delicious coffee and fresh juices. Can't remember everything we ordered but it was all delicious. One was a Portuguese sausage sandwich and it was awesome.

Pros: Wonderful Staff, Delicious Food
Cons: Hard to find parking
VeganColleen
VeganColleen

I'm still dreaming about the vegan moussaka

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

My husband and I were in Lisbon in December and we ate at Bake the Difference pretty much every day, as well as bought lots of baked goods to take with us on our long walks through the city. Everything was incredibly delicious and the owner is extremely helpful and enthusiastic. We thought everything was delicious but the moussaka, pumpkin cupcake, and chocolate salami were our absolute favourites. We can't recommend this place enough!!

Pros: Open early, Everything vegan, Everything delicious
Cons: Not open later for dinner
xvegankx
xvegankx

Deliciously vegan!

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

This place was so amazing, we came back a second time. The lady is really friendly. They haven't got an English menu, but she's willing to translate everything.
They've got a day menu (€7) which includes soup (we had spinach and pumpkin soup), the menu of the day (a Brazillian dish with tofu, coconut cream, rice and veggies) and the juice of the day (freshly squeezed orange juice). It was extremely delicious! We really liked it. As desert we took the amazin carrotcake, a peanut muffin and chocolate chip muffin. Also very delicious!

Pros: Taste, Price, Friendliness
Tara HD
Tara HD

Friendly place, good food

4 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

What is absolutely outstanding about this place is the incredibly friendly and helpful owner. We felt very welcome there.
The selection of food is quite limited. We never tried the daily menu (which was probably a mistake) but tried nearly everything else: quiche, empanadas, salad, soup, toast and chocolate cake. Soup and toast were very good, the quiche and empanadas lukewarm (but the taste was fine). The chocolate cake was delicious.

Pros: very friendly owner, good value
Mimi
Mimi

Lovely, Friendly Cafe

5 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2011

This is a bright and cheerful cafe. The food is 100% vegan. We had a lunch of Pumpkin Soup - scrummy, Lebanese Moussaka with salad . . . absolutely delicious. Somehow, we found room for Chocolate Cake - the best I have tasted so far in a cafe/restaurant.

Very friendly . . . wished we had had time to go back, and will next time we are in Lisbon.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Open all day, Fabulous Food
Bauldric
Bauldric

Wonderful Cake

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2011

The chocolate cake we've eaten is delicious. Hope to come back soon :-)

Pros: Very nice atmosphere, Tasty chocolate cake, Friendly staff
Cons: -
Ina
Ina

what a great place!

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2011

we read about it on happycow and looked for it only to take desert, but getting there we were sorry we had taken lunch somewhere else. The place had an unbelievably peaceful atmosphere, everything looked great and the muffins were amazing! Also, the owner is very nice. You have to try this place out!

Pros: tasty, cozy place, friendly staff
djmoonlight
djmoonlight

sweet and friendly

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

Saw this on Happy cow when it had no reviews yet just before our holiday this july to Portugal and had to find it! It was well worth it, it's only a little place but the staff were very friendly and helpful, and everything was vegan! We tried their coffee with soya milk and cakes, as well as having toasted sandwiches, wonderful to go somewhere and be able to order anything off the menu! the only disappointment that there wasn't as many cakes/pastries as I was expecting with it being labelled a bakery, but there was a good selection of cafe type snack items.

Pros: cheap, all vegan, friendly
Cons: not many cakes, tiny place
Rahel
Rahel

Happy and tasty Times

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2011

Bake the difference is a verry Sweet litle bakery
It has the Best vegan muffins, and sweets ever!!!
The Food is made with a Lot of Love and Passion and u realy can Taste it
I am so happy that i Found this Place it makes my Lissabon Trip even sweeter becaus i knowe i can eat ther all the days and it never Gets boring...
We need Bake the difference also in Hamburg :)

Pros: Super tasty, Big portions, Small prices
Jenny G
Jenny G

Love it!

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2011

I'd been hearing about this for a long time before it opened, so when I saw reviews on here I had to check it out. I wasn't disappointed. My friend and I went there on Friday for a very late lunch, expecting to have a snack but they prepared some leftover lasagne from the dish of the day. The ingredients were fresh and tasty, and the salad with it was huge. We were so excited to have a place with all the extras that were all vegan, we tried hot chocolate (white chocolate!) which was very sweet, but perfect, muffins (mine was pistachio and choc-chip), a fresh mango rice-milk shake, and we sat there feeling sad we couldn't try the quiche, the pizza, the toasties or the ice cream! Definitely going back. It's a shame they're not open on weekends, it'd be perfect for a leisurely brunch location.
To be honest, the cakes didn't look that exciting, especially since the name suggests it's a bakery, but trust me - they taste great.
And although they call it vegetarian, everything is actually vegan.

Pros: Tasty food, vegan everything, friendly staff
mik
mik

Plain but handy

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

The assortment is not really that impressive, since there was no cheesecake or any sophisticated creations. However, I doubt you can find this variety of vegan biscuits elsewhere in the city.

ChrisKeating
ChrisKeating

Amazing food! Super friendly people!

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2011

We stumbled through Lisbon for a number of days looking for great vegan/veggie places to eat... and just as we got to the end of our visit we found Bake The Difference! I believe it was their first day open to the public. Eunice and her male accomplice ;-) were super friendly and talked us through all of their amazing designs/cakes... we ended up having the Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins, Numerous Hemp Cookies, Pumpkin Carrot soup (i think), Toasted Tofu Sandwich - which was on some awesome bread... its fair to say, that I wish we found them earlier... if/when we go back to lisbon I hope they are still there!! if your in town, visit them and treat yourself... you dont have to be vegan to enjoy good food :) ... oh and i forgot it is SO Cheap.

Pros: Cakes, Lunch Menu , Staff
Cons: None, None, None
AlexisOrtega
AlexisOrtega

Quaint Surprise in Lisbon

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

I went to Bake the Difference during a short trip to Portugal with a friend. I was pleasantly surprised by the location, atmosphere, and friendly staff. As an American, I immediately felt very comfortable browsing because the staff offered up translations and explanations of any of the ingredients. I ordered a cookie and shared a cupcake with my friend, but I also noticed other patrons with sandwiches. I wish I had enough room to eat another full lunch meal because it looked delicious! The cookie was good, but the cupcake really stole the show for me. To add to the great experience, the staff member at the register offered up chocolate truffles just as we went to pay (which was less than 5 € for three cookies and one cupcake).

If I'm ever lucky enough to come back to Portugal, I will definitely come here again - for a full meal and dessert this time.

Pros: friendly staff, delicious desserts, well priced
ambition25
ambition25

Amazing vegan bakery!

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

I have traveled all over Europe, and as a long-time vegan I am always on the lookout for great veg food. There's no doubt about it-- this bakery/cafe is a MUST for any vegan visiting Lisbon! The interior is clean and cozy, the decor is very cool, and the food is impeccable. I had an oatmeal-strawberry cookie and shared a chocolate and peanut butter-filled cupcake with a friend. The staff is also incredibly friendly. We stayed after we had finished eating and talked with them (both spoke fluent Portuguese and English), and they even offered us a free chocolate/agave truffle (which was delicious!) I am originally from California where vegan food is actually fairly common, and these guys could easily give the veg places out there a run for their money.

I have been to some of the vegetarian and vegan restaurants in the Lisbon area, but none of them have desserts like Bake the Difference. Next time I will have lunch AND dessert there instead of just coming for the sweets. Can't wait!

Beijinhos :)

Pros: Great food, Great prices, Friendly staff
CeciliaTegner
CeciliaTegner

Best place in town!

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2011

This place is a must for any vegan visiting Lisbon! A small place with a huge heart. Owners are awesome and SO friendly. Had lunch here and following dessert and coffee. Not often does one get asked if you want soya-, rice-, OR oat milk in one's cappuccino :) Food is tasty, the chocolate cake is to die for. Juice made fresh, everything home made. Plenty of choices: salads, toast, whole meals, all vegan, all awesome (at least the ones we tried)!

Pros: Great staff, SO much to choose from, Cosy place
Cons: Closes at 8
Anne_Vincent
Anne_Vincent

Excellent vegan food in Lisbon

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2011

We found Bake the Difference by accident at our last day in Lisbon and... what a great surprise!
We tried the soup, the main dish and even some delicious empanadas. Everything was really tasteful and perfectly presented. At the end, impossible to leave without having dessert. God... I was delighted with the muffins, the chocolate cake, the pudding, ... My partner, who is not even vegan, called them the best cakes ever.
Before leaving, we could not resist taking some cookies with us, to eat in the plane back home. Well, I must confess they did not even get to the hotel!
Congratulations to the very friendly and open-minded staff.
Every time we go to Lisbon, we surely visit you! :)

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, big portions
Beckle
Beckle

Tasty Traditional Food and all Vegan!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2011

My partner and I are on a 6 month trip of Europe and happened to park across the road from this place by accident and I must say we found an absolute GEM!

We were in Lisbon on a special day for the city, a traditional day with street celebrations. The restaurant had a 3 course dinner especially for this day and it was only 13 EUROS!

Fantastic value for money - portion sizes were very large. Starter was seiten sausage Portuguese style, followed by soup with bread. The main was delicious rice with tofu and veg on skewers. Dessert was amazing chocolate mousse or a creamy traditional dish.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. We are so glad to have found this place :)

Pros: portion sizes, Location, Price
santiyeve
santiyeve

Great place with very friendly staff

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

great food - really good prices - cosy place - great staff - all self made and really yummy. we were two people, had empanada, toasted sandwich, water, dessert and coffee - and paid under 10 €. Unbelievably good! Find the place by walking up "Rua Portas" - close to Hard Rock Cafe.

Pros: great food, very pricy, friendly staff
Cons: a little tricky to find

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Bake the Difference: