Serves meat, veg options available. Seitan, baked tofu, tempeh featured in foods. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by VeganBikerBabe
annaegel
annaegel

filthy and cheap looking

1 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

After driving up to the restaurant and seeing the sleezy motel next door, my expectations for this place went down. Opening the door we were greated my the nasty filthy wall to wall rug, foul musty odor and cheap decor. The booths were small. Couldn't fit the 4 of us, so we sat in a small corner booth, that barely fit us. We were served warm water with our not so tasty meal. The waiter was the only redeeming quality about this place. He was super friendly. We will never go back there again.

Pros: Waiter
Cons: everything else
jkirk
jkirk

Gone downhill

1 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

I used to love this place. They had a ton of vegan options, and the best vegan egg roll I've ever had. They changed owners, I think, and the last time I went it was terrible. It was noon, and there was hardly any food out on the buffet, and what was there was cold. We had very little service, and it wasn't worth nearly what I paid. I will not be going back.

Cons: Few options, Cold buffet food
Hippie Mama
Hippie Mama

Don't miss this!

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

If I could eat only one food for the rest of my life, it would be Bahn Thai's pad thai.

Their buffet is set up in separate sections for veg and non-veg. All of the veg section (which is quite large) is vegan. And it's all wonderful.

Pros: Fantastic food, Veg section separate, Great staff
Cons: They do serve meat
phaedraford
phaedraford

Some parts stellar, some just okay

3 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2012

I have been here about 3 times and every time I have noticed that the portions are huge. Sometimes the leftovers last three extra meals at home. I would highly suggest not to order their seitan. The texture really resembles wet, dense, soggy bread. Their tofu dishes, however, are very good. I usually order the Pad Jai(sp?) and it is a wonderful bean sprout dish with mushrooms, peppers, bean thread noodles, and a brown slightly sweet and savory, seemingly soy sauce based sauce. They offer unlimited rice, too. The place seems strangely empty whenever I go, but the people who are there seem pleased with their meals. Also, if you like extremely spicy foods, they know how to make things spicy! Their curry dishes seems a little lackluster in the spice department. The vegan egg rolls are delicious for an appetizer. Their mee krop comes as a gigantic portion as looks very beautiful. Unfortunately, it's just a big pile of sweet crispy noodles that after a few bites is on the verge of cloy. Nothing really blows you away, as far as their vegan dishes go. But because they have an extensive vegan menu with large portions, I tend to go here more than most places in Gainesville. The waitresses are always very sweet and respectful.

Pros: large portions, kind staff, variety of dishes
Cons: awful seitan, dull presentation, aesthetically weak atmosphere
pamjane
pamjane

Best Thai food outside of Thailand!

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

I wish I could give 5 stars!

Although it's only a vegetarian friendly restaurant, they have more than 20 dishes that are distinctly vegetarian/vegan (3 pages worth), which can be made with tofu, seitan, and tempeh. Before the vegetarian section of the menu, there's a paragraph that assures that they understand and respect a diet without animal products and that they assure the dishes are made without animal products.

The last night I went, there was only one lady to greet and wait on tables, so the service was slower than it could have been. However, she was extremely kind, helpful, and as attentive as she could be-- suggesting that I get my Thai tea with coconut milk (I originally just said no milk), bringing extra penang curry sauce, giving us extra rice to go with our leftovers, etc.). She really went out of her way.

I've only eaten there twice as I'm living overseas now, but I sure hope they do well and are there every time and I come back. It's the best Thai food I've had outside of Thailand!

Pros: delicious food, extensive vegan menu, friendly and helpful staff
Cons: hard to decide what to eat!, was a little slow

aadams1217
aadams1217
  • non-vegetarian

Just OK

3 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2010

The food was good but the prices were steep. I ended up ordering a curry seitan and vegetable dish that was tasty but the consistency of the seitan was a little too spongy for me. Very large portions but this simple dish was $13...a little much if you ask me.

Staff is very nice and friendly. Ambience of the restaurant is a little strange: there are NO windows. Kinda freaky.

A nice dinner but it would've been much nicer if it were a few dollars cheaper.

Pros: friendly staff, tasty food
Cons: pricy, no windows
VeganBikerBabe
VeganBikerBabe

EXCELLENT VEGAN THAI FOOD!

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2009

Eating Thai can be a scary proposition for Vegans. A lot of restaurants lie and put animal products in their "veggie" meals. At Bahn Thai, you don't have to stress over this at all. They have TONS of Vegan Dinners, but the best ones are on their specialty menu. If you like seitan, try to gang kuoa with seitan. BE CAREFUL if you aren't a fan of hot!! This is SPICY, even when you order the mild version, but oh boy is it worth the burn. The owners are so nice and if you're lucky, you'll get some complimentary black sticky rice with coconut milk on top for dessert. YUMMY! You MUST get their veggie spring rolls... yeah, yeah, not healthy, but the pineapple chutney is sooooo good, so treat yourself. Oh, and they have the BEST Seaweed Soup I've ever had. Can you tell I love this place????

Pros: Fantastic Vegan Food!, Wonderful Owners, Lotsa comfy booths.
Cons: Pricey, but WORTH IT!, Limited Wine List, Lime (like most Thai) vs. Lemon for Tea
  • aveganjourney aveganjourney

Nice review but it's from 2009. I just looked at their menu online and only see seitan listed in a soup. We will be visiting places in Gainesville this weekend and attempting to visit resturants with vegan items on their menu before veg friendly places.

• VeganBikerBabe VeganBikerBabe

They are now under new ownership. While not the place it used to be, how could it be without the original owners who put so much into the place, the new owners are TRYING. Sometimes a hit, sometimes a miss, but I do believe they'll get there if they keep it up. They're just new and the restaurant business is hard, even on people who've done it their whole lives. They do still have Seitan, just ask for it when you place your order.

Dear Owner and Manager of Bahn Thai: