Serves meat, veg options available. Chain bagel restaurant. Could ask for a bagel with avocado and humus or a bagel with banana and maple syrup. Has soy milk for coffee. Free Wi-Fi. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Western, Take-out, Non-veg
Arnhemsestraat 33
Amersfoort, Netherlands 3811LG

Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:30pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-5:00pm

First Review by Gudrun

Nice lunchroom also for vegans

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

Beans & Bagles is a famous Dutch chain with branches all over the country. They all have exactly the same menu and similar decoration. Often B&B is the only place for vegans to go for breakfast or lunch. Some branches have a vegan muffin which is presently being rolled out to more and more places, and a branch in Amsterdam is presently testing a vegan bagle, both in addition to the regular menu.

It does not happen too often that I visit branches of the same chain and order the same food two days in a row. But when I arrived in Amersfoort it seemed to be the only place for a vegan lunch - again. The day before I had visited a B&B in another city.

The staff in Amersfoort was extremely friendly and did quite some effort to find out what was vegan and what could be veganized. They used an internal document listing vegan-and non-vegan food as a reference and showed it to me. This branch did not (yet) have the vegan muffin but next to the two vegan bagles from the menu the staff checked what else could be veganized (they offered, e.g., an avocado bagle). They even checked if the chocolate coffee beans which came with the coffee were vegan (they were not).

I ordered - same as the day before - a hummus bagle, but this time I was informed that the various bagles themselves were all vegan except the glutenfree one and I did not just receive one default "vegan" bagle (as I did in the other B&B branch after I said it is important to me that the bagle itself is also vegan). So I could select the sort of the bagle (plain/sesamy/ oathie...).

The bagle was nicely arranged with hummus, salad and sundried tomatoes and had some cucumber slices in addition to what I had the day before which just made it all a bit fresher. Somehow it felt as if everything was arranged with love which felt a bit different in that other branch.

I wish they had more vegan options and vegan labeling in the menu but still this is a place which makes vegans feel welcome.

Pros: has vegan options, very friendly staff, located in city center
Cons: could have more vegan options, vegan items not labeled

Dear Owner and Manager of Bagels and Beans: