BAD Burger East Village

Serves meat, veg options available. Diner atmosphere with free wi-fi. Has a separate vegetarian kitchen with many choices for vegans, including in-house-made desserts and gluten free food. Breakfast all day. Has another location in Brooklyn. Fri-Sat 24/7. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Take-out, Fast food, Non-veg

Mon-Thu 11:00am-5:00am, Sun 11:00am-5:00am

First Review by Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

A good place for vegan greasy diner food

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2013

My wife and I hit this place last night for dinner, since we were in the area. We got fried pickle chips and a couple of burgers. The pickle chips were awesome. The chipotle mayo dipping sauce was tasty. My wife question the vegan-ness of the sauce and so I double checked with the server and he said that he wasn't sure, since we didn't ask for it to be vegan. I asked him, after we spent a large amount of time with him covering all of the vegan items on the menu and being specific in how we ordered our vegan burgers, how could he possibly not understand that we wanted everything vegan? He ran off to the kitchen and came back and confirmed that the sauce was vegan. I sometimes get a little relaxed in vegan friendly places and I guess this reminds me that you always have to be on your toes.

The burgers were ok. The veggie patties are made in house and have the consistency of a ball of oatmeal. There's not a lot of substance to the patty, so it is very messy. I liked mine, the Hulk burger, but would have preferred a more substantial burger patty. My wife hated hers, the Shroom burger. She couldn't get past the gooey blob that was the veggie burger patty. So, I ordered her the vegan chicken club sandwich. It was awesome. It had a vegan chicken patty, similar to a boca burger consistency, with veggie bacon, sauce, and veggies. It was very good. In the future, I am going to attempt to order a burger and have them sub the chicken patty for the burger. I did make that suggestion to the waiter and I heard him share it with the chef, so who knows, maybe they will do it.

I will return, for sure, when I am craving greasy diner food, but there are so many great places in the area, I doubt I will make this a regular thing. Maybe just for breakfast foods. BAD stands for Breakfast All Day. :)

Pros: Vegan friendly, large menu with many options, Breakfast all day
Cons: The burgers are meh

Dear Owner and Manager of BAD Burger East Village: