Backyard Bowls

Acai bowls and smoothies bar. Has oatmeal, quinoa, and granola. Vegan except for honey and bee pollen. more-less

First Review by missjen55
JonJon
JonJon

Great brasilian stuff!

5 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

A perfect place for breakfast in Santa Barbara. The place offers a good choice of acai bowls, containing fresh fruits, icecream and cereals. Ask without honey and the servers to confirm that what you choose is vegan but there is a lot of vegan choices.

Pros: yummy acai bowls, healthy food, friendly staff, good portions
Cons: not fully vegan
pinkstephy
pinkstephy

Yummy!! Breakfast/quick lunch/snack Food

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2013

I LOOOOOOVE Backyard Bowls and honestly I don't eat here nearly enough for how good it is.

If you like Acia bowls- you will LOVE this place!
A Backyard Bowl is a mix between smoothie/blender and an Acia Bowl concoction (originating from Hawaii I've heard) and it's PACKED with fruits, Vegies, seeds, goodness and totally yummy. kids LOVE this place too-you'll see a lot of moms + kidos around 3/4pm fueling up and grabbing healthy snacks here. I believe they have oatmeal and some cereal type options available on the menue as well.

I started eating here before I was Vegan and I know a lot of non-Vegetarians that are addicted to this place. It's also a wonderful spot to fuel up before or after a workout.

Although they have tables + chairs and a place to sit, its more like a coffee/tea shop environment. So I wouldn't plan a lunch date here unless your looking for informal.

Pros: Taste , Sweet & SUPER Healthy , Easy
Cons: Can get pricey if you go often
irlandaise
irlandaise

Great for breakfast!

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2011

We tried Backyard Bowls for the first time today and were thrilled! Everything was made fresh and our bowls were delicious! I had the Ultimate Oatmeal Bowl (hold the raisins) with fresh strawberries and added coconut. My husband had the Spartan Muesli with strawberries, blueberries and banana. We both left feeling stuffed and energized - we'll be back!

Pros: Fresh and YUMMY, Friendly staff, Food came fast
Cons: Limited seating
new2veggies
new2veggies

Second Store in Goleta

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

So happy to have a second Backyard Bowl in Goleta at the Calle Real Shopping Center! Halfway through a health cleanse, on my way to becoming mostly vegan....Backyard Bowls was my "go to" place. SO GOOD! I never ate fruit on my own...never had a juice with ANYTHING GREEN in it...eww...now I am a convert.

The owner and other staff have helped my on my journey, offering tips and websites to keep me on track I am now 24 lbs lighter and feel great!

Pros: consistant quality
Cons: slow service at times

vegboy2009
vegboy2009

Great breakfast place!

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

Cute little stop in the over-priced town of Santa Barbara. Very tasty and healthy foods to give you energy and enliven your body. Considering how expensive this whole town is, the prices are very reasonable. The location is a little hard to find, but in the age of the GPS, it's no big deal. The location is very convenient.

Pros: Super-healthy, Tasty., Quick service.
Cons: Due to popularity, VERY busy
earthville
earthville

A lot to love - and some room for improvement

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2010

There's a lot to appreciate about Backyard Bowls. It serves tasty, healthful food with original recipes. It makes a commendable effort to be ecologically sustainable. A significant portion of its ingredients are organic (and they're clearly marked on the menu). The prices are fair considering the ingredients. And there's no meat.

The concept behind the menu is so unusual (and rather narrow) that i'd expect it would have a niche appeal, but when we showed up at lunch time the place was packed with a short line waiting to order, so it seems they're finding favor.

One thing to know before you go is that there's almost nothing hot on the menu (other than the "hot quinoa bowl" and maybe 1 or 2 others), and in fact most of the bowls are icy cold due to the frozen açaÃi that is the star ingredient at Backyard Bowls. We were shivering after our lunch and had to stand out in the sun for a while to get warm again. We both would be tempted to go much more frequently if there were more hot (or at least room temperature) items on the menu.

VEGANS BEWARE: Another thing to know is that nearly every dish has honey in two forms: the granola they use is made with honey, and they put a few squirts of honey on top. We specifically ordered our bowls "vegan, without granola or honey," and they were kind enough to offer to give us crushed almonds in place of granola, but after all that my bowl still got a squirt of honey, to my chagrin. Perhaps this might've been due to the essentially fast-food assembly line nature of the place, and maybe also because the restaurant is relatively young and may not have worked out all the kinks yet. One would hope that proper training of the staff in regard to managing special orders would eliminate this kind of problem in the future. Vegans should also note that some of the items contain yogurt. In general, the fact that virtually none of the items are vegan without making a special order (which may or may not be executed correctly) is a bit unappealing; hopefully this will also be corrected in the future as the menu expands. More completely vegan items would be a very welcome addition.

Those who favor raw food would likely be in heaven here (provided your body tolerates the cold açai­), but to others it might seem more like a glorified smoothie joint, since the focus of the menu is essentially very thick smoothies served in a bowl with fresh fruit and toppings. Meal or dessert? You decide.

We hope they succeed and evolve!

Pros: Fresh concept, Some organic ingredients, Commendably eco-friendly
Cons: Could be more vegan-friendly, Almost nothing hot or warm, Limited appeal for full meals
missjen55
missjen55

AMAZING!!

5 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2010

I don't even want to share this place because it is so fabulous I wan't to keep it to myself. I am vegan and go through raw spurts every once in a while and my go to order is green bowl with almonds instead of granola, maca and bee pollen. Super nutritious, super good for you and under $10!

Pros: healthy, fast, delicious

Dear Owner and Manager of Backyard Bowls: