Vegan bake shop located in the heart of the Alberta neighborhood which is known for its diversity and independent arts community. Back To Eden is a small-batch bakery cafe providing desserts, pastries, savory lunch bites, hot soup, sandwiches, non-dairy soft serve/shakes/sundaes, Townshend Tea and Cellar Door organic fair-trade coffee. Everything baked in house is completely vegan and gluten-free with a large selection of soy-free and sugar-free options. Back To Eden's mission is to nourish the community with nostalgically tasty small-batch treats while sourcing quality 100% plant-based ingredients, supporting sustainable agriculture & doing whatever possible to lighten our ecological footprint. more-less

First Review by HM
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

Ice cream is for lovers!

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2014

Vegan sundaes? Are you for real?1?!?!?!?
Not only did I eat my weight in SOFT SERVE ice cream here, I also got to have the most beautifully delicate chocolate lavender milkshake.
They have lunch food and mini cakes and other desserts but I couldn't get over the milkshakes and sundaes. Everything we tried was top notch and perfect for the hot weather we were enjoying while visiting Portland.
Mark this at the top of your list vegans!

Pros: White chocolate chips?!?!?!?!?, Vegan sundaes!, Milkshakes!
Cons: Super tiny, limited seating, Counter staff a tad rude
CoeurDeLouve
CoeurDeLouve

OMG!

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2014

My friends wanted to try the traditional "biscuit and gravy" dish across the street, and man, was I ever happy I did not go there and found this little gem instead!

At Back to Eden bakery not only you get the traditional dish in its healthy version, but you get it with style!

I mean, the food was delish, did not leave a crumb in my bowl: the biscuits and scrumptious, the gravy velvety, and the walnut sausage out of this world, all washed down with an out-of-this-world jasmine/lavender kombucha... but the d├ęcor, the music, and the displays... even the employee's shoes are made to the resemble 50s era.

What a magical place!

Pity I had no room to try dessert then because their coffees and teas looked amazing, but I had a take out box of their baked goodies to a party I had later, and they were scrumptious! The brownie, the pjb whopie pie, the pistachio/cardamom cupcake, the chocolate/root beer doughnut, were all hoovered like there was no tomorrow... Good enough to fool non-vege people!

Seriously, I could not live in this neighbourhood, I'd be such an addict!

Pros: Taste, Decor, Music
Cons: none
Alistra
Alistra

• herbivore

Yummy!!!

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2014

This place has great baked goods, soups and "ice cream." Their biscuits and gravy is awesome too! Everything is vegan and gluten free, but I never notice because it's so darned tasty! I have shared their goodies with my omnivore friends a few times, and several of them asked where I got the delicious treats.

Pros: Vegan, Friendly staff, Rotating/seasonal flavors
Cons: Small seating area
jjj2014
jjj2014

The best bakery in the world!

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

Their lavender cookies are the best cookies I've had in my life. I've tried their muffins, vegan cheesecake, ice cream, soups, and quiches. They are all delicious. Back to Eden is my favorite place in Portland!

Pros: best baked goods in the world, delicious vegan icecream, offers light lunches/dinners too
Cons: very tiny shop

VintageVariety
VintageVariety

Gluten free, vegan bakery

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2013

This bakery is gluten free and vegan, and though my husband and I are vegan we are not gluten free. That doesn't stop us from going to Back To Eden when we're in Portland. They serve soft serve soy ice cream which my husband likes, but I prefer the coconut ice cream. They make these little kale tomato cashew tarts that and we get them to go and bring them home, they are AMAZING. We usually get some sort of treat to bring home when we are there, and everything is consistently good... whether you are gluten-free or not! This and Sweetpea are definitely my favorite bakeries in Portland.. although this place wins in the friendliness department.

Pros: cashew kale tarts, vegan ice cream, yummy baked treats
Cons: not next door to my house
kmd035
kmd035

This place is the best!!

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2013

It has been a long time since I have been able to walk into a restaurant/bakery and have a sense of security knowing that ANYTHING I buy will be vegan AND gluten free...on top of this, everything I have ordered here is DELICIOUS (absolutely amazing soft serve...)

The staff is always incredibly friendly and helpful.

Pros: vegan, gluten-free, friendly, cozy atmosphere
heathera75
heathera75

Yummmy and mostly gluten free

5 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2013

I love this little place and I can't say enough about how yummy it is. Also lot's of choices that vary daily. I especially love that majority of the cakes and pastries are now gluten-free. They change the soft serve out weekly. And there's now a small variety of savory menu as well.

Pros: Yummmy food, gluten free choices
mindymvegan
mindymvegan

Ah-mazing!!

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

I love this place. Their peanut butter fudge, whoopie pies and scones are great! I just special ordered my birthday cake. It's all gluten free and strawberry hazelnut. Granted it was pricey to get a vegan cake but always has been.

Pros: desserts, lunch, drinks
Cons: a little pricey
SpecialFXLady
SpecialFXLady

Rocking awesome treats and community support!

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

In 2012 I was a volunteer at the Sexual Minority Youth Resource Center (SMYRC) and in charge of putting on their prom. Part of our responsibilities was soliciting donations for the event.

Back to Eden kindly donated vegan cupcakes for our event and all of the youth loved them! We wouldn't have been able to make it happen without kind donors like BTE.

I go there whenever I can and everything I've gotten from them has been amazing.

Pros: service, food, community involvement
chickpeafreak
chickpeafreak

Would try again

3 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

Heard a lot about this place and was excited to go, but was disappointed. On the day we visited, it was sunny and hot, so we had a chocolate caramel milkshake--which was very light and thin. Taste was nice and it was refreshing, but was not thick and rich like we anticipated. Next time I'd go for a baked good or chocolate instead. Small store, with little seating, but probably ample. Servers were courteous, but not at all warm and fuzzy friendly. With all the great reviews I'd read about this place, I left disappointed in the experience.

Pros: Desserts!, Nice cozy cafe, Ice cream happy hour
Cons: Thin shakes, Not overly friendly, tight seating
thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

Wonderful Little Vegan Bakery and Ice Cream Shop

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2012

Portland has choices when it comes to Vegan Bakeries and this one is pretty f'n fantastic. Seriously the choices available are astounding. I just had a marionberry milkshake but I was watching all the people come in and out and hangout and it was such a cool little vib. A lot of the people come for the GF aspect of it and weren't even aware of the place being Vegan, which it does not advertise, if I had not seen this place on Happy Cow I would have walked right on by, in fact I did walk by but my moble app told me to turn around and I'm glad I did. I think a previous reviewer called the decor "girly" and that's a good word for it but it is also charming and while it is small is a fun little place. This place is not just a bakery the choices of lunches, sandwiches and ice cream is pretty sweet. Indeed it was cool just seeing a vegan ice cream soft serve machine, with too many choices to choose from. Vegans with choices, I couldn't speak higher of this place.

Pros: Sellection, sellection, sellection, atmosphere, Location, next to many vegan options
Cons: maybe the price a little , smallish
SaraJane85
SaraJane85

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

This place is so beautiful. The decor is really great even though it is really small. The staff were extremely nice. VERY good food.

My boyfriend and I went here for the first time yesterday morning. It was GREAT! I had the Asparagus Cashew Tart -gluten free. I was SO SO good. So good I could eat it every day for a month before tiring of it. Yeah, that good. AND no one would ever know it was gluten free if you didn't tell them. The crust was flaky and delicious, so do not let the fact the something is gluten free keep you from trying it. I do not have any allergies but I do love good food.

My boyfriend got the Green Chile Empanada. He said it was good with a delicious crust. He also got a raw Key Lime Pie by Divine Pie that they sell here. He said it was very good, loved the flavor. You can find whole Divine Pies down the street at the Alberta St. Co-op.

We shared a Apple Cheddar Sage Scone which I LOVED!!!!

In addition to these items we shared a small bowl of the vanilla soft serve (with chocolate and caramel sauce and peanuts) which was better than traditional soft serve!!! Go Chicago Vegan Foods! Also we got a Boston Creme Mini Cake and a Lemon Strawberry Whoopie Pie-gluten free. The whoopie pie again you would never know was gluten free. Very good strong strawberry flavor with a hint of fresh lemon. The Boston Creme Cake was eaten the next day and was okay. I am sure it would have been much better if it had been eaten (as it should have been) at the time of purchase.

Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Didn't have a great experience

3 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

When I went to Back to Eden I got the blackberry turnover and some peanut butter fudge. The turnover was way too greasy and sweet and the fudge was way too sweet. I've heard their ice cream is awesome and I would like to go back and try that, but I wasn't impressed with the baked goods I had.

rockcita
rockcita

This place will make your sweet tooth ecstatic

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

If you love sweets, Back to Eden will not disappoint. You'll find scrumptious cakes, oookies, pies, cupcakes, and so on along with ice cream and candy. If your not in the mood for a sugary treat, they also offer bagels, quiche, calzone and several other items, and both hot and cold drinks. While very small (seats 14), this place is quiet and clean, and free WIFI is offered. Its a great place to treat yourself to a yummy while doing some reading, homework, etc. Check out the small, but good selection of vegan cookbooks for sale.

Pros: great selection, tasty treats, clean and quiet
veganteacher
veganteacher

Yummmmmmm

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2011

Coconut cream pie - how do they get the texture?!
My daughter thought it was the best soft serve ever!
Vegan candy by the pound, carmel topping for the soft serve. Wish we lived in the area!!!

Pros: yummy, yummy, friendly staff
Cons: not in california
Took
Took

Adorable Bakery

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2011

I tried the cinnamon roll and whoopie pie. Loved them both, but particularly the whoopie pie. I can't wait to try the soft-serve once the warmer months hit :) oh and I love the girly, nature-inspired art/gifts they sell.

Pros: Delicious baked goods, Friendly staff
veganfox
veganfox

Awesome vegan bakery!

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2011

I didn't know it's an ALL VEGAN bakery until I asked them. They try to use as much homegrown products as they can as well as organic. Their cashew veggie quiche was to die for, and we loved the tarts, croissant and calzones. Highly recommended.

2cakeS
2cakeS

Best German Chocolate Cake Ever

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2010

WOW!!! This is my new favorite bakery. So many amazing items and everything is vegan.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Local Organics
Petesternz
Petesternz

Awesome

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2010

It's a good thing I don't live near Alberta st. Between Dovetail bakery and Back to Eden, I'd become whale sized quickly by gorging their ice cream sundaes and other treats. I wished I had the room to eat some of their cakes, which looked amazing. But what I did eat was delicious, and recommend you visit soon!

juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Back to Eden

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2010

Most amazing place for vegan treats. I had the chocolate cookie with a hazelnut slice of cake. So good.

Pros: All vegan, Friendly
Lettuce Muncher
Lettuce Muncher

This place is amazing!!

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2010

I am so happy to have found this place!!! I love soft serve and haven't had it since becoming a vegan. I tell you, a chocolate/vanilla swirl with home-made caramel sauce and vegan marshmallows or chocolate creme cookies will rock you! The staff is super friendly, and very excited about their jobs and the treats. I hope this place stays in business forever, as it is amazing! I highly suggest the vegan soft serve with lots of toppings. The portions are big and the price is just right.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Amazing Soft Serve, Spotless Bathroom
Cons: Small Seating Area
cookiem
cookiem

Classic appeal

3 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2010

This bakery draws you into its nostalgic appearance from the moment you open the door. They have a few items for sale on their shelves, a lovely counter with high stools, an enticing set of displays for the baked goods, candies and charming woodwork.

This was the first time at Back to Eden, and not too disappointing. The items looked delightful in a down-to-earth, homey fashion. Plenty to choose from, including cakes, pies, small tarts, scones, muffins, cookies, fudge and soft serve Temptation ice cream! As noted by another reviewer, they also have savory items. While the selection is nice, some of the items looked as though they had dried out and/or were suffering from bad lighting.

They also serve coffee and tea, which is nice.

The ice cream is a treat. The selection of large cookies is appealing, but upon tasting one, it tasted a bit too salty for my preference. Great concepts though. The cheesecake has a richness that compliments the flavor, but the texture resembled vegan cream cheese a bit too much for my preference. The cake slice sampled looked good, with a strong pink color denoting its raspberry flavor. However, the chocolate cake itself was just too dry. This may have been a result of sitting out for too long. A small single-serve tart looked appealing and had an excellent combination of flavors with blueberries, nuts and caramel. It would've been more satisfying if the filling weren't so runny.

Overall, this place is adorable and provides a nice haven for those seeking vegan baked goods. Since they've only been open a little while, it may take time for them to reach their true potential. They certainly stand a fighting chance to be amazing! I would definitely check this place out again on a regular basis to measure the improvement that is sure to happen.

Pros: Decor, Soft serve ice cream, Selection
Cons: Still new, More seating, Freshness
homegrown smoker
homegrown smoker

Delidiousness Prevails

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2010

I have been a regular at Back To Eden since they opened. Everything they make is top notch and wonderful. The store decor is awesome and screams comfort. I have had the famous pumpkin whoopie pies, marionberry cheesecake, pumkin scnes, maple scones, cupcakes, boston cream cake, all very tasty indeed. Also their savory items are most excellent as well.

Pros: Tasty deliciousness, great people, VEGAN
HM
HM

dangerous territory!

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2009

Yes, I moved to NE and right afterwards I heard about Back to Eden opening up. Wow. I mean, gluten free pumpkin cheese cake that was gobbled up by everyone at my birthday party, vegan and non vegan alike. Peanut butter fudge, lemon strawberry cheesecake, MOIST and yummy gluten AND soy free muffins, moist and very full of flavor cupcakes.... and all within a few blocks from my home. dangerous territory!!! Oh, and the owner/baker/partner/staff... amazing people.

Pros: yum, organic, wow
Cons: too, close, to me

Dear Owner and Manager of Back To Eden Bakery: