Bacio Italian Restaurante

Serves meat, veg options available. Uses separate pans and cooking utensils for the veg*n food. Can make vegan ravioli, eggplant "parm," and other pasta when you call ahead. The restaurant makes its own pasta without eggs. The kitchen is in the middle of the dining room where guests can watch the food preparation. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Italian, Non-veg

First Review by geod
ScubaYogi
ScubaYogi

Great for vegans

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

Great little Italian restaurant tucked away in West Mount Airy. The owner is very accommodating toward vegans. The food is great.

Pros: Friendly staff, Large portions, Very vegan friendly
jwsteampunk
jwsteampunk

Very Poorly Run Operation

1 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

Yes, the place is friendly and the greeting by the chef when you walk in the door is very nice. The single waiter puts on wonderful show when presenting the evening menu - but he is easily overwhelmed as the dining room fills up.

Taking the advice of other Happy Cow reviewers, we asked about vegan options and found them accommodating - in theory. But the actual food production team ignored the requests. Maybe because they don't write anything down? I spotted the box of gluten free pasta in the kitchen and specifically ordered that with my eggplant dish. Not only did the box never move from the shelf, no pasta of any type arrived.

Getting the attention of the waiter after his initial floor show was impossible and the owner spent the evening deep in conversation with every table but ours. I certainly understand why the regulars feel like family, but its very clear that Bacio has no room in its heart or business for new customers.

Don't bother, there are are much better options in Philly area.

Pros: Friendly, but slow service for regulars , Freshly created specials, Local produce highlighted
Cons: Customer Caste System, Poor communication among staff, Inconsistent quality
  • saponarojay saponarojay

hi jwsteampunk, I am the owner of Bacio restaurant. I am sorry you had a bad time at our restaurant. I want you to know that it hurts me to hear you where mis treated by my staff. We have be working hard to improve our service and we do make many delicious vegan dinners. I do care about you please call the restaurant and ask for me for a make up dinner.

s144799
s144799

Feels like home

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

This restaurant has AMAZING food. To all vegans who go to this restaurant: Don't be scared off by the fact that the restaurant doesn't mark vegan options because the chef will make anything on the menu vegan upon request, and caters to vegans all the time. The staff know exactly how to accommodate vegans. My experience with most Italian restaurants is that the pasta has egg in it and I'm stuck ordering garden salad with oil and vinegar dressing. Not Bacio. The cook actually knows his stuff. He has a dish using tofu to mock fresh mozzarella, and then adds tomato and basil, and it almost tastes like the real stuff. It brings back great memories of eating that with real cheese because I was a cheese person before i became a vegan. Would HIGHLY recommend to any vegan or anyone who wants great Italian food.

Pros: Great fresh food, Very nice staff
Cons: Not 100% vegan

Andy Dufresne
Andy Dufresne

Great little restaurant!

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2009

My husband and I love this place. The food is great and the service is always wonderful. They really care about their customers. You can watch them making the food as the kitchen is in the middle of the dining room. I suggest making reservations if you're planning on dining there on the weekend. I usually get the pasta e fagioli and eggplant parm (minus the parm). My partner gets either the ravioli (made fresh with your preference of veggies) or the pasta e broccoli- which is superb!! Request the vegan canolis ahead of time. They're wonderful!

Pros: great service, great food, great atmosphere
Cons: not super cheap, sometimes fills up quickly
geod
geod

good for everyone

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2009

My partner and I go here to celebrate events. We call ahead to make sure there are vegan options available and the owner goes way out of his way to satisfy us. The food and service are great.

Pros: good food, great service

Dear Owner and Manager of Bacio Italian Restaurante: