All vegan bakery offering alternatives free from the common allergens: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein and eggs. Located in the Downtown Disney complex. Reported closed to HappyCow. more-less

First Review by v3ggie
xrodolfox
xrodolfox

Excellent... but they close after Wednesday 19th!

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

I had a wonderful blondie and a banana bread at 9:30p. While awesome, they were running out of items.

Worst, I found out from the cashier that they're closing down due to Disney tearing down the whole location.

I will go there for the remaining days!

Pros: Delicious, Gluten-Free & Vegan!, Open until 11pm!
Cons: expensive, not much selection, Located in a weird place
Plant Strong
Plant Strong

The Best Vegan Bakery In Central Florida

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

Hands down this is the best vegan bakery in the Orlando and Central Florida area. It is located in Downtown Disney in the building in-between the Lego's store and T-Rex restaurant, it shares its location with a few other food vendors (forget their names).

Though it is a small bakery it has a lot to offer, cupcakes, donuts, cookies, brownies, and loaves. They also take cake orders. Everything is certified kosher and vegan, gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, and free of refined sugars too!

We purchased one of each item to go and after trying each and every item I didn't have any "after effects" like I do when I eat other sweets, for instance, feeling the sugar rush or the sugar crash etc. Everything was really tasty! I can't recommend them enough.

Pros: Vegan, Delicious Sweet Treats!, Friendly Staff
X10
X10

Great...if you don't eat gluten

3 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

So, my disclaimer is that I am a gluten junkie. I am nowhere near gluten-free, but came to BabyCakes because of the hype and, of course, the vegan cupcakes. I had a chocolate cupcake with mint frosting, a blondie cupcake with chocolate frosting, and a vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting.
The chocolate was by far the best - moist, rich, and the mint icing was spectacular. However, the vanilla cupcake was dry and left much to be desired. The blondie cupcake was very good. My sister (an omni) ate with me and typically takes 75% of the icing off of her cupcakes, but loved this icing so much that she ate all that was provided.
The flavor variety was somewhat lacking compared to other vegan bakeries that I have been to, and the quality was average compared to other vegan cupcakes that I have had, but superior to other GLUTEN-FREE cupcakes that I have had.
In summary, BabyCakes has a great product if you are gluten-free, but I feel that there are better options for the gluten-eating vegans out there.

Pros: Gluten-free options, Solid cupcakes
Cons: Limited selection, Difficult location to find/get to

RachaelSera
RachaelSera

Best icing ever!

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2013

These are my favorite cupcakes (vegan or not)! I never really liked icing before because it was always too grainy/sugary. Baby Cakes' icing is smooth and delicious! My favorites are the French Toast cupcakes. I hear the Brownie with Mint is great, but I'm just not a mint person.

The doughnuts are not fried; they're basically doughnut-shaped cakes, so don't expect a fried doughnut. The Cookie Crunch is very tasty (kinda like a crumb cake with a hint of lemon). However, the star to me is their icing, so I stick to the cupcakes.

They're a 100% vegan bakery and they're also gluten-free/allergy-friendly. Vegans (and GF) usually get shorted in the dessert department, but not here!

Pros: 100% vegan, icing
Cons: none!
KonradAdams
KonradAdams

Scrummy cupcakes

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

The very fact that this place exists in Disney World is amazing in itself and am glad HappyCow pointed me to it (on my 4th trip to the area). One can easily miss it if you don't know about it or where it is (inside Pollo Campero).
I bought a couple of cupcakes, which were light and exceptionally tasty (and got the thumbs-up from my non-veg daughter); however I found the doughnuts to be on the bland side. Still, nice to have the option.
Cakes are about $3.75 each, which seems expensive, but comparable to what you'd pay for regular cakes in the vicinity.
All in all, it's great to know one can find cakes catering for a range of dietary needs in the heart of Disney World.

Pros: Cupcakes to die for, This place exists
Cons: Doughnuts bland
hsmom_of2
hsmom_of2

Not impressed, all the items taste the same

2 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

We stopped in today on our way through Orlando, I was really excited to try some vegan delights, but was left wanting so much more. We ordered red velvet cupcakes, french toast cupcake and one of each of the donuts- honestly they all tasted pretty much the same. Cake with so-so icing. The donuts looked great but they just tasted like a cupcake with icing.

So not worth the trip. Also it was hard to find the storefront, we had to ask one of the vendors as it wasn't listed on any directory.

Pros: vegan
Cons: hard to find, all items taste the same
glassesgirl79
glassesgirl79

Babycakes is but easy to enjoy

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2012

Previous reviews say that Babycakes is hard to find but that wasn't the case for me;you can find it right after you pass the Lego Store. Babycakes is small in space but big on desert offerings and flavor.The only thing that I didn't like was that there's not set menu; one day they had donuts holes and the next day they didn't which was a little annoying. Overall, from the donut holes and cupcakes to the bread loaves and mini donuts, Babycakes is a great place for vegans and non vegans alike to satisfy their sweet tooth!

Pros: Wide variety of sweets
Cons: Unpredictable menu
JoshuaFrance
JoshuaFrance

Great Treats for Vegans and Gluten Free Persons

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

BabyCakesNYC is a great place at Disney to get a 100% Vegan and gluten free dessert. They sell cookies,doughnuts,and cupcakes. You can usually get a deal on buying a half dozen but they are more expensive than other non vegan options around Disney. After all you are at Disney so you can spend some more money. Now I hate to let others know about this because I visit them frequency, but they usually have no lines even on crowded nights. Visit them and enjoy some great food that is also good for you, Right?

Pros: Vegan, Tasty, No lines
Cons: Expensive, Hard to find
WhiteRat
WhiteRat

Surprise!

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2012

For Valentines day my boyfriend took me to babycakes, the only vegan bakery at the time closest to us, it is a two hour drive!
Gluten and sugarfree. What. It was. So. Good.
They had a large selection, and everything tasted good, but lets get to the best part. The frosting. YES.
Their frosting is the BEST I have ever tasted, vegan or otherwise. Instead of using sugar, I believe they used agave nectar. It gave the smoothest, silkiest, sweetest, amazing taste .
To me, all frosting normally have that grainy texture, are stiff and stale (I'm looking at YOU wholefoods) so I was blown away by this.
This visit was about two years ago, so I am hazy about what I ate, but I shall not forget the frosting.

Pros: Great Frosting, No sugar, Soo tasty!
Cons: could use some original variety
cameraphonevegan
cameraphonevegan

Good vegan doughnuts!

4 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2012

As a new vegan, I had eaten some cupcakes and pumpkin bread at the New York location which I really enjoyed, but at this location I was on a mission for vegan doughnuts.

Under the doughnuts, however, was a whole batch of cornbread, and we're both really big suckers for cornbread, so I picked up 2 slices of that as well as a cinnamon sugar doughnut and a vanilla cookie crunch doughnut.

The doughnuts were both pretty good, with the cookie crunch one being my favorite of the two. They had seams as if they had been baked in a pan, but I'm not sure of their method. The cornbread was a bit of a let down, cakey and a little bit too crumbly. It was also way too salty, so I would say skip it. If you're already in the area, and looking for a vegan doughnut, definitely go check them out. If you're in Orlando, I don't think it's worth the drive simply to come here, but that's just me.

Heads up! Babycakes is located inside of the Pollo Campero (chicken place) pavillion, tucked away in the corner, but as long as you know that, it will be easy to find. There's a little kiosk to the left that sells juice, coffee & tea that you can buy to accompany your baked goods.

See the full review at cameraphonevegan.com http://wp.me/pR1Fv-1B5

Pros: vegan bakery in Disney, good vegan doughnuts
Cons: pricey, a bit of a hassle to get there
craigmc
craigmc

Tasty cakes

4 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

Wow, I thought I hated Disney until I read the previous reviews.
I had a good selection of baking, which was great. I rarely have deserts as I rarely have a chance. Baby cakes is in Disney, in a chicken place. They don't cook the cakes with the dead chicks, and uncle Walt isn't the chef. give the place a break. The staff were really friendly as well . I'm glad that there is some other choice in Disney.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 30, 2011

Pros: Great staff, Vegan food in Disney, Easy parking
Cons: location if you are not on holiday. But I was, Location upsets some people, location may raise blood pressure
4moby
4moby

Overhyped and Overrated

2 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

Fought for a parking space and wasted time in the end. No line at Babycakes though. The desserts were not worth the time or energy to go just for BabyCakes, if you are in downtown disney early when the selection and quality is better then no worries--go for it.
Got several donuts, cupcake and cookie. None were that good. Just sugary and overrated. Better places to find vegan sweets in orlando that are amazing. I wouldn't recommend going to BabyCakes

Cons: PARKING, Selection
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Unfortunate Location

3 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

The small Babycakes booth is located inside a restaurant called Pollo Campero. I can hardly imagine a more unlikely place for a vegan bakery than inside a restaurant that specializes in serving dead chickens and on its logo out front features a giant baby chick smiling and wearing a sombrero. Adding insult to injury is the fact that Babycakes is not listed on the main directory in the center of Downtown Disney. What a disappointment.

I arrived at 9pm. They were still open but the selection was limited. I ordered a vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting. It was average. After all the hype I'd heard about Babycakes in NYC, I was let down. The baked goods at Raphsodic vegan bakery in Orlando were much better. Maybe if I had arrived in the morning and gotten a fresh one. That said, my husband who is not a vegan thought it was great and wolfed it down.

All this aside, it's wonderful to have this bakery at Disney. I only wish it was its own store and was much bigger. I found Disney to be a vegan desert and Babycakes the only oasis. I would have starved had I not found a Whole Foods 20 mins away (on Sand Lake Road, exit 74A off of I-4).

v3ggie
v3ggie

Hidden vegans inside Downtown Disney!

4 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2011

It's worth the effort to endure Downtown Disney at least once in order to experience the vegan baked goods here. Be prepared to pay for the privilege, however, as the prices are rather expensive and can add up quickly. The shop is hidden inside a small food court type building. The cupcakes and donuts I tried were very good, with the exception of the carrot cake, which was lacking in flavor.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: BabyCakesNYC - Downtown Disney: