All vegan bakery (except cow milk offered for drinks) originating from New York City. Makes a wide range of baked vegan desserts from muffins and sweet breads to cupcakes and donuts. Also serving coffee and tea. This is their 2nd LA location. more-less
236 N Larchmont Blvd (Beverly Blvd)
Los Angeles, California 90004

InHerImagePhoto
InHerImagePhoto

Awesome!

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2015

Perfect for GF vegans! They now have loaves of bread! The maple donut is a must!!

Pros: Gluten free , Easy Parking, Friendly staff
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Underwhelming

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

I'm always happy to see a vegan business but I wish this place was more. Nothing really dazzled and it was pricy for what it was. Our anticipation did not pay off.

The frosting on the 2 cupcakes started dripping after a short while in the car - looks like coconut oil overload. The four dollar donut tasted about $1.50 worth. Can't remember the other cakes we tried only 2 weeks ago - that shows how uninspiring they were.

The staff also seemed a bit rude too - like they didn't have time for us. Maybe we Aussie yobbos weren't flash enough for the Hollywood style?

And now I read that they serve cow's milk in drinks - heartrendingly disappointing.

The idea is great though. I sincerely hope they lift it a notch and make it a vegan bakery that everyone can celebrate.

Pros: Vegan cakes
Cons: Cow's milk?, Expensive
grantxvx
grantxvx

Tasty but Pricy

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

The cupcakes were very delicious, but definitely expensive. They aren't better than other top-tier vegan bakeries in the US, if you're looking for something out of this world.

sabri
sabri

Terrible customer service

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

I go there some times to buy donuts and cupcakes, I have to say, most of their products are very good, specially the cinnamon donuts, and some lemon cookies I tried there.
For my birthday I was looking for a lemon cake, that I love but I didn't want to bake by myself, so I read that they have lemon frosting cake, I thought was a goo compromise.
I bought the cake the same day of my birthday ($58 for a 6 inches cake, I was excited that as a vegan I was having my lemon cake! Unfortunately when I cut it, it was so dry, the base must have been several days old, it was impossible to eat. My husband called immediately, with the cake still in the refrigerator asking for a refund, the Manager wasn't understanding at all and she offered a credit of $15 that my husband refused, we wrote and called the head quarter adn we never had reply. This was so disappointing seeing that they weren't standing behind their product. I will never buy a cake from them because of this terrible expereince that ruined my birthday.

Pros: Some small deserts are very good
Cons: Cakes are terrible , Customer service horrible
Chia
Chia

Larchomont Village Vegan Bakery

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

I had read about this place on happycow when it first opened and have gotten baked goods here twice. Was just here, Sept 2013, and here's my BabyCakes review update.

This Babycakes is in the walking & shopping Larchmont Village area. You have to really look for it, because their signage is small.

What I really like is the Stumptown coffee they serve (a brand from Portland, Oregon). This location also offers espresso drinks.

The baked goods, I found out, are primarily sweetened using agave nectar, which is not my sweetener of choice; agave nectar leaves me a strong after taste and altered feeling. Too bad.

The selection of baked goods include cupcakes (approx. $4.50/each for small), sweet breads ($4/slice), cake ($4.50/large piece), and donuts ($4-4.50 each).

While I appreciate the fact that the baked goods are all vegan friendly, they are also all overpriced. Why so expensive for little pieces of baked goods?

Pros: donuts yummy
Cons: biscuit too dense, pricey
eevee
eevee

I'm glad there's an all vegan bakery

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

I come to this bakery about 2-3 times a month since it's not very close to me. Parking is nearly always impossible to find on the street during the afternoon on weekdays so my mom will usually drop me off and go around the neighborhood while she waits for me. We never park in the parking lot because we don't plan on staying to eat there. The bakery is also pretty difficult to find since there isn't a sign.

When it comes to the bakery its self, everything is amazing. It took me some time to get used to the taste of the doughnuts (since they don't taste like non-vegan doughnuts), but now I love them. I'd recommend the brownies and cookies for first timers since their taste is similar to non-veg brownies and cookies.

The bakery is really cute and the staff always seems to be in a good mood.

The only problem is the prices since we're on a strict budget, but a lot of the time they'll have day old pastries which are actually reasonably priced.

My favorite part about this bakery is that they actually made me a cake for my birthday. My mom ordered it and they decorated it with pretty pink frosting and all of my non-veg family members enjoyed it too since it tasted like a brownie.

The coffee that they serve is really good too. Also, I could have sworn that I saw a sign in there the last time I went that said that they no longer serve cow's milk, which is great. (:

Pros: Good taste, Feel-good environment, Day-old pastries
Cons: Fresh pastries are pricey, Parking
calivegan46
calivegan46

Yummy Desserts

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

Babycakes makes great dessert items. I don't like the cupcakes too much because they are a bit dry and dense, but their donuts are gooey and delicious. They can run a bit expensive but I think its worth it considering its all vegan. This location is small but bigger than the one in downtown. If you have a real sweet tooth then I highly recommend trying babycakes!

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Vegan bakery

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

We finally stopped in at this new Babycakes location. It's a bit difficult to locate as the signage is only on the window. We shared a coffee and each had a thin mint cookie at their table inside. It's disappointing that they have dairy milk for the coffee. The cookie was excellent though. We took the coffee crunch and jelly donuts to go along with a chocolate mint cupcake. They all had excellent flavor and were not too sweet, but they were a bit on the dry side. Overall, I would return, but not too often as it's a bit pricey. It doesn't seem to be keeping anyone away though as they were consistently busy while we sat there.

Pros: all vegan bakery
Cons: pricey
CarolynMullin
CarolynMullin

Babycakes Hurts Cows

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

I was very surprised to see that Babycakes offers Horizon cows' milk to their customers. When asked about this they said it was for their allergy-prone customers. Between all the alternatives these days to the cruel dairy industry - organic or otherwise - hemp, soy, coconut, almond, etc, Babycakes can choose to be a whole-heartedly vegan company and meet the dietary needs of its clients.

Dear Owner and Manager of BabyCakes - Hollywood Larchmont: