B-13 Bar Restaurante

Vegan bar and restaurant in the city main center, 5 minutes from Gran Via. Offers meals and snack foods, from sandwiches, burgers, and kebabs to pizza, hot dogs, and tapas. Takes orders for custom cakes. Kitchen always close one hour before the bar. Restaurant will be closed from July 14 - Aug 21, 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Western, Pizza, Bakery, Juice bar, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering
Calle de la Ballesta 13
Madrid, Spain 28004
n/a

Open Summer (Apr-Sep) Tue-Thur & Sun 1:30pm-5:30pm, 8:30pm-12am, Fri-Sat 1:30pm-5:30pm, 8:30pm-1am, Winter (Oct-Mar) Tue-Thur & Sun 1:30pm-5:30pm, 7:30pm-12am, Fri-Sat 1:30pm-5:30pm, 7:30pm-1am. (see comments)

• Cash only

First Review by patriciacr
MartaAnemyah
MartaAnemyah

Authentic vegan Bar in Madrid

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2014

A different place to eat vegan food. They have daily menu and a fairly extensive menu. There are many "typical Spanish" dishes adapted to a vegetarian / vegan diet. Chorizo & Bacon Sandwiches, san jacobos, calamares a la romana, and all the desserts are delicious. A great bar in the heart of the city.

Pros: Chorizo Sandwich, Cheap
heuschrecke
heuschrecke

Great Place!

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

I went to B-13 twice last week and I really liked it. Nice atmosphere, friendly staff, affordable and delish food and good location in the center. Go there when you are in Madrid and also try the desserts - the caramel cake was awesome!

Pros: friendly staff, good value, nice atmosphere
Toriay
Toriay

Nice selection of delicious, affordable fake meat.

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2014

Amazing! I loved it. Mainly fake meat and bar service only but these aren't problems so I'm not taking a star off for that! Will be back when I'm next in Madrid.

Spectacular! Me encantó. Casi todo es de carne vegetal y solo se sirve a la barra pero eso no es ningun problema y no quito ninguna estrella! Volverá la proxima vez que este en Madrid

Pros: cheap, great food, quick service
Roma
Roma

Delicioso y barato

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

Con una gran variedad (tortilla, burguers, tartas...) y todo riquísimo.

Pros: Delicioso, Barato, Gran variedad
Ezekiel
Ezekiel

Fantastic little place just off Gran Via

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

Very cozy small all vegan place, as pointed out earlier very reasonable prices and BIG portions. Feels like the place has a lot of regulars, I got a feeling of being in a local pub -- very welcoming. Friendly stuff with good English
- they have menu in English, ask
- portions are large, don't be too ambitious when ordering
- nice cakes for dessert, check out the glass-door fridge for what's available on the day
- there's a very small room in back, if the front room looks full check it out

Pros: Cheap, Plentiful, Friendly
Cons: If you are 80/10/10, a bit oily/salty

erichartnett24
erichartnett24

Fast, Cheap, Vegan

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2013

Good menu, open for lunch and dinner. Entire menu is vegan. Large portions. Cheap prices. A favorite of mine whenever I need a quick bite to eat in the capital city.

Pros: vegan menu, great dinner deal, small cafe atmosphere
Cons: small cafe atmosphere
Michal in Wonderland
Michal in Wonderland

ALWAYS CLOSE

2 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

we went there 3 TIMES!!!!
I had the opening hours from Happy cow but it was always close.
once the store was half open so I knocked the door, and asked the person why is it close.
He didn't understand english but he pointed on the opening hours. it said 19:30, so at the second time we came at about 20:00 and guess what..... (it was close)

anyway, the hours is not as said and it was big disappointment, especially when we took taxi to discover it was for nothing.

Went 3 times- Never ate there.
If I could, I would give one cow, but because it's veg I must give 2 cows.

Cons: Never open, Disappointing
matrosin
matrosin

Leftie, fast food place

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

A nice place with very friendly and helpful staff. No english menue, but the guy at the counter translated everything- he was very friendly!

It's more a quick fast food place than a restaurant were you sit down, also the atmosphere is like that. But thats okay.

I had something spanish, it was a bit boring, but I think it was my fault not taking something else. The kebab sounded promising.

The cake was amazing! Just 2 choices, caramel and chocolate. Great fluffy dough with a lot of cream.

Pros: friendly
Cons: atmosphere
freutdich
freutdich

Vegan, affordable, excellent food

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2013

Very good fast food and also home made daily menu at very reasonable prices.The service is also very good and fast. The cakes are wonderful and home made.
Besides they always serve "tapas" with your drink. The vegan Spanish omelette well worths the trip!

Pros: All vegan, Good food, Inexpensive daily menu
Cons: Nothing
marcbr
marcbr

Fast cheap and tasty

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

I was there with a non vegan friend and we simply ordered a burger for 3€.
It was very tasty and they served us pretty fast.
Don't expect a stylish restaurant, it's a small bar with cheap vegan food.

Pros: Price, Speed of serving, Taste
Cons: Not the best city of Madrid
AchimGuldner
AchimGuldner

Excellent all vegan fast food

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

The burger was among the best I ever had. Delicious patties (I had the double cheeseburger) and delicious cheese.

Pros: Delicious fast food, Very good value.
beegantravels
beegantravels

My favorite in Madrid

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

I am so glad that I found this restaurant! I ate here three of the five times I ate out during my stay in Madrid. Although the language barrier was a bit frustrating for some of the staff (and understandably so), others were very accommodating and patient. The coffee dessert and chocolate milkshake were delicious!

Pros: delicious sweets
lysi
lysi

Tasty, inexpensive vegan fast food

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

Went a few times while in Madrid as the bar restaurant was only a short walking distance from our accommodation and value for money was best we came across while in Spain. Portions were generous and while the menu was mainly fast food (burgers, hot dogs and various sandwiches), the selection was varied enough to visit more than once. Although little English was spoken, the menu was available in English and the staff was friendly and patient enough to communicate across the language barrier. Since the menu was all vegan, there was at least no need to verify suitability of the food and ingredients. Due to the ambiance and limitation of the menu, this is definitely more of a cheap and cheerful rather than a full on restaurant. Has a bit of an alternative feel to it too, which I personally like but others might be put off by. The only let down was the bun the burger came with - kind of an American style burger bun that fell apart once I added ketchup and mustard on my burger. Should have at least been toasted/grilled - same goes for the wrap that the kebab came in.

Pros: Inexpensive and large portions, All vegan, Good location
Cons: Lack of ambiance
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Fast food vegan style

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

Good little place for a pit-stop with "fast food" type stuff. All very predictable but that's probably the right thing for fast food anyway. My double burger with cheeze clearly tasted like Fry's patties and I know some people don't like that stuff so now you know if that's you.

Has a menu in English too if you need it.

I'd not mind if I had a little stop like this in my own neck of the woods.

Pros: All vegan, Yum.
earthville
earthville

Great value, great dessert

4 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2013

The folks who run B-13 are relaxed and helpful, which makes for a pleasant experience, and they were happy to stretch across the language barrier patiently.

Portions are gigantic for the price. I spent only 7 euros but couldn't finish everything i ordered. And the quality of the food was good by bar standards.

Kabab wrap was satisfying. Tortilla was a bit plain but filling. The star of my meal was the dessert: a very rich yet light chocolate cake.

The neighborhood is a bit funky (red light district, apparently), but it's just a block and a half off of Gran Via so it's pretty easy to find.

Pros: Best veg*n bargain in Madrid, Great desserts, 100% vegan
Cons: Fresh juices were unavailable
justingross
justingross

Great Prices

4 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2013

We ate lunch here yesterday and it was very nice. I had a double cheeseburger with a cola and fries and my partner had the chicken burger with the same. It came out to less than 15 EUR for the both of us. The food was tasty. The menu is not extensive, but if you are hungry and looking for a nice burger and fries, this is a great option. The portions were large, too. We will be back before we leave Madrid.

dagmaragogo
dagmaragogo

Great basic vegan snack food plus desserts

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2013

Fun little diner with basic snack items, great french fries, and wonderful dessert cakes. Prices are great. I would recommend this as a lunch or snack place rather than a night out for dinner kind of place.

Pros: cheap, vegan, good location
Cons: basic food
cincorobles
cincorobles

Great Taste Hefty Servings

4 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

We had a great meal here today. Everything was delicious and abundant. The prices very reasonable, specially in this city. The ambiance is sort of picnic tables, order at the counter and sit, very relaxed. A single disappointment was the white bun with the great vegan burger. Odd since the house bread was super. We will return if we can during our stay in Madrid.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 24, 2013

Pros: Tasty Food, Generous Servings, Great Price
Cons: Atmosphere, White Bun?
Trevor714
Trevor714

Good Food, Great Price

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2013

The staff was friendly and helpful. The food was definitely tasty. I had a double hamburger with all of the fixins and added a vegan beer and it came up to just under 9 euros. Well worth the price. I will definitely be back on my next trip.

Pros: Price, Taste, Great Service
Cons: Nothing
EthicRanger
EthicRanger

• raw

Unbelievable cheap and vegan!

4 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2013

I think they undercharge
pieces of cake are huge for 2eur

junk vegan food ( if you don't know importance of vegan, just watch this http://adaptt.org/life-changing-speech.html )

have organic local beer in case you still addict to going of conscious and this real world ...so do it with less damage

they trying to use as much local food anyway

Example of how to do something good for world, without having not much

Pros: vegan food, long hours, GO VEGAN car plate on doors (liked that)
Cons: junk vegan food, still alcohol served
flormadel
flormadel

Excellent Comfortable Food

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

I came here with a non-veg friend and we both were extremely satisfied with our meals, and comfortably stuffed. The staff is very friendly, and though the decor is not the best, the atmosphere is very relaxed, and the place is full of locals. Since there were a lot of people, service was not speedy, but it was worth the wait. Don't come here expecting a delicious fancy meal. It's perfect when you just don't want to cook or pay very much for a meal out. We had a huge burger, a huge side of fries and a beer for 5 euro, which is an excellent price for Madrid. I will definitely go back and try all their menu! I wouldn't get so turned off by the location. Yes, there are prostitutes, but it's not a sketchy street at all, and the neighborhood is quite nice.

Pros: extremely cheap, HUGE portions, easy, not complicated meals
Cons: simple and small menu
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

A great Spanish pub the way they should all be!

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2012

This new pub is starting to get going and bring its take on veganism to Madrid. It's got a friendly, inviting atmosphere and the food is tasty, cheap and cheerful. I've been a few times and enjoyed a beer or two, a couple of the hamburgers, and the tortilla. It feels like a vegan community spot - not a pretentious restaurant. In this time of crisis, B13 is showing that veganism can be accessible to everyone and can adapt Spanish tradition to be cruelty-free. A great Spanish pub done vegan!

Pros: Tasty, affordable food, Vegan community spot, Friendly atmosphere
Cons: More gluten-free options needed
ranbarth
ranbarth

Nice place for a quick dinner

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

This is a small bar with an outdated look but the people who run it are very nice and the food is basic and good.
I really liked the caramel cake for dessert... Prices are great, I had a main course, dessert and a glass of wine for 6.5 EURO.
Only major downside is the location which is in a street full of prostitutes...

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Great pricing
Cons: Location
vegancharlie
vegancharlie

cheap & simple

3 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

this place is strange but we liked it. its very simple, cheap vegan junk food that guys would make themselves at home. pretty much just burgers & bocadillos. the food isn't anything special but its super cheap & vegan... we ended up here twice while in madrid for a few days.

tip #1: get a burger for around 3-5.5€ depending on which one you want and get a can of soft drink & good portion of fries for only 2€ extra.
tip #2: do not get the seitan wrap w/ yogurt sauce. it was gross. i felt sick for an hr or so afterwards. plain seitan that tasted like flavourless meat w only a couple of bits of tomato & lettuce w/ an overload of sickly vegan yogurt.
but hey, good on the guys for trying - they're really lovely & i give them a thumbs up for having a little cheap vegan place in a city (country even) that froths at the sight dead pigs leg which hang from the roofs of all the bars, restaurants & butchers... with the hoof still on.
plus they gave us a free taste of a vegan pina colada :) yum

Pros: cheap, friendly
Cons: simple food, get what you pay for
Jenna-LynnTharp
Jenna-LynnTharp

Boring food and environment

2 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

I love when I see a new vegan restaurant open so I was excited to try out this place. The menu looked great but when the food arrived it was disappointing. It was so plain and uninteresting, the kind of thing you throw together when you just want to eat fast. My jamon y queso bocadillo was just a cheese spread on a bun with slices of vegan ham on it. Nothing more. I do not need to go to a restaurant for that! The hot dog was similar, veg dog and bun, that's it. I think this place needs to step up their game. I have no desire to go back. The plus side is that the price was reasonable, 6 euro for sandwich, fries and drink. Oh, and the cake was yummy too.

patriciacr
patriciacr

• non-vegetarian

At last in Madrid!

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

Typical spanish bar with excelent vegan food.
I realy enjoyed the food and the atmosphere.

Dear Owner and Manager of B-13 Bar Restaurante: