Vegan Ethiopian food place in the Mercado la Paloma, near USC. Opened May 2013. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Ethiopian, African, Take-out

First Review by vtraveller
Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat

UH? MAZING!

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

Okay so I'm 16 and come from a Hispanic family that is very into their meats (unfortunately) so I'm very limited on being able to go to restaurants where they're strictly Veg. I found Azla which is very close to me and fell in love! I go there every time my parents are at the DMV which is often. (DMV is right across). The service is amazing. They're open to answer any questions. The chickpea mash is AMAZING!They regularly have weekly meal specials. I love when they make their pizzas! Plus its inexpensive. Their is also a natural fruit and vegetable smoothie stand right across which is also amazing.

Pros: service, good taste, cozy location
beckyt
beckyt

Pretty good!

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

We had two vegetarian/vegans in our group so we decided to try this restaurant on the way to an event in downtown LA. The food was tasty and it was nice to be able to order anything on the menu. Since this restaurant is located in a food court the non-vegetarians also ended up being able to get something to their preferences also. Since it's in a food court though, if you're looking for more of a fine dining experience, this would not be it. On all other counts though I would definitely recommend.

Pros: Good food, Good value, Friendly staff
Cons: Informal if you want something fancier
NomNomNominator
NomNomNominator

Simple yet sooo so good!

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

Two things I did not expect about Azla -
1. It's in a cozy food market
2. It's a simple and small menu

None of these things are a negative. In fact I think they're both positive aspects. Great for people watching and great to keep your dietary requirements simple and without question.

I went for my first time today and had one of everything, except the tofu. I about cried when I saw they had gluten free cupcakes! It was all so so so good. The jalapeno salad. The kale salad. The chickpea mash. The collard green/kale sautee. The BREAD! OMG! Being gluten free is hell, guys. I get boils if I eat gluten though so it's rare when I get to have truly great breads and baked goods. Their wrap bread was moist and fluffy. So so satisfying.

The customer service was ridiculously thoughtful. They understand food issues. No heckling, no judgement - just warm hearts.

Overall, their foods were simple. Not over spiced but really flavorful. Really filling. Their deserts made me cry. Their customer service was warm and welcoming. Great price for the specialty niche of people they're feeding. I am definitely happy to go back here often, from here on out.

Pros: Baked Goods, The Gluten Free Promise/Food, The Market They're In
Cons: Nope, None

Chia
Chia

Clean food

3 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2013

I had read about this place on Happycow and saw the reviews, so I made the trip out to check it out for myself. Here's my Azla Vegan review.

It's basically a food counter that sits in a food court inside a Mexican shops building, in the middle of a commercial area nearby the University of Southern California. Azla is the only vegan food establishment here, but unfortunately, all I could smell upon walking inside was cooked meat.

The food counter looked very clean, and the ladies were friendly. On the day I went in for lunch, there was very little food left, and it didn't seem like the staff was going to make any more. Too bad. I had wanted to try the combo hot food platter but opted for the salads combo instead.

The salads tasted fresh and yummy (kale, beets) but the portion was rather small for the price. Came with a piece of injera bread -- could ask for two if you wish.

Pros: healthy and clean, tasty salad
Cons: small portions, shares space with meat shops
Jhakarin
Jhakarin

Delish

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2013

This was my first foray into Ethiopian cuisine and Azla Vegan did not disappoint. Generous servings, friendly service and delicious eats made for an amazing dinner!

Pros: Large portions, Friendly staff, Ample seating
VeggieHeather
VeggieHeather

delicious

3 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2013

I was serving on jury duty and wanted somewhere walking distance to go to for lunch, so I randomly found this place on HappyCow. It is in a food court. You can get 2, 3, or 4 items plus inerja bread or brown rice. I got red lentils, kale salad with peaches, beet salad, and green beans with carrots. The portions are moderate sized and I really enjoyed the food. It wasn't too oily or heavy.

Pros: delicious, healthy, friendly
Cons: portions moderate sized
lord vegan
lord vegan

re(fresh)ing

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

we weren't sure where to eat tonight, we were all just browsing happycow options and i came across azla vegan, read the description, and everyone was immediately interested! we hopped in the car from rosemead, arrived 30 min. later, and loved it! we managed to get a yummy sample platter from them before they closed, the portion sizes were great, and the prices were affordable. the mother and daughter running the spot had lovely and welcoming energy--they even thought i was ethiopian, which i often get, and is always complimentary no doubt. (smile) i will most definitely return and if i lived in la i'd become a regular!

Pros: customer service, flavorful food, portion size
vtraveller
vtraveller

Nice addition to the area

3 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

Tried the combo plate and was pretty happy with it, filling. Their desserts are good too. For this area and this little mall this is a great new spot, although I probably wouldn't drive here from far away. Food is sitting out and not made to order (at least when I visited). Friendly folks working there.

Dear Owner and Manager of Azla Vegan: