Vegetarian Indian cafe. Offers a pre-set menu every day for lunch and dinner which includes an appetizer, 2 vegetable entrees, bread, lentils, basmati or brown rice, salad, raita, dessert, assorted chutneys. Vegans to specify. Feb 2013 reported still open by happycow member. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Delivery
706 Amsterdam Ave (Upper West Side, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10025
212-932-2400
OPEN NOW

Mon-Sun 11:30am-10:30pm

First Review by cassius
aybea
aybea

One of my favorite places on the UWS

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

Ayurveda Café is the first restaurant I went to when I moved to the UWS, and for this reason alone it would forever have a special place in my heart. However, I've grown fonder and fonder of Ayurveda Café as I've kept going over the years. I love the calming, warm atmosphere and the kind -- although yes, somewhat aloof -- staff. Yes, the food is better on some days than others, but part of the experience of Ayurveda Café is that it is as if you were in a mother's kitchen, not as if you were in a chic downtown bistro owned by a celebrity chef. Definitely go if you're in the neighborhood, and don't leave without picking a fortune from the box in the center of the café!

Pros: Indian home-cooking!, Calm, warm environment
steveveg
steveveg

Great neighborhood veggie restaurant

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2012

I've been here many times and have always had an excellent experience. The food is quite good. The service is excellent. The fixed menu is not always all vegan, but they will make a vegan substitute for any non-vegan dish. It is a very soothing and comforting place.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
PROSE1966
PROSE1966

I can't even say it was a nice try

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2010

I had anticipated going here because other website reviews hyped it so much. When I walked in and asked for takeout, the host/waitress was arranging flowers near the door and acted as if my New York brashness were interrupting her zen moment. I felt very uncool for a moment, which is fine. The trouble with the place is the food is atrocious. It rivals BP as far as spilling oil. It's bland and the veggies were unidentifiable. I'm not a great chef but my home cooked meals easily put them to serious shame. I recall saying at the end of my meal: "This place really needs to go out of business.''
Updated from previous review on Monday August 16, 2010

pradipd
pradipd

Good Neighbourhood Restaurant

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

I finally went to Ayurveda Cafe after having it on my list for over 10 years! The thing is that unless you are in that neighbourhood, it is difficult to justify it as a destination restaurant. It turned out to be exactly what I expected, and what was clearly indicated on their web site and in their menu. It is a simple prix fixe restaurant with no food choice except for their extensive beverage menu. The thali turned out to be far more delicious and nutritious than I had expected. The rotis were hot and crispy. However, after the meal when I went to the toilet, I passed their 'kitchen' and it turns out that there is no kitchen! Everything was pre made, and either brought in from the basement downstairs or some other location. For a thali place I guess this is unavoidable and perhaps most efficient. The important thing was that everything, except the dessert, tasted fresh.

Pros: Healthy, Value
Cons: Location, Premade
hootlikeanowl
hootlikeanowl

Not good... just not good at all...

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2007

I ate here with a friend of mine; both of us are vegetarians and we had heard promising things about the restaurant. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out. The waitress didn't say a word to us the entire meal, the food wasn't prepared to order, and it was pretty cold. There was no choice of menu, which is fine, but if you're only going to provide one option, make it a good one! The lentils were very bland, the naan was flat and chewy, and the entree was spicy, but not very flavorful. It was all-you-can-eat, but neither of us wanted any more. Very disappointing.

Pros: Very quick, All you can eat
Cons: No choices, Poor service, Bland
bigvin74
bigvin74

am compelled to write a review about this place

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2007

When you go to a restaurant, what are the more important things that you look for... good service? good food? good environment? Ok, I'm going to say the Ayurveda Cafe provided NONE of these qualities. It was probably one of the worst dining experiences in my life. Our 15 year old looking waitress appeared bored and uninterested with us being there. The food was NOT cooked fresh, in fact it appeared to be stored right at the waitress station, and it was cold. I happen to be indian and while the food did taste homemade, I couldn't help but feel there was something very wrong with what I was eating. I wasn't feeling the ambiance either of this place, again something just didn't feel right. ok, I've said my peace.

Poundie
Poundie

Pretty good

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2006

You do not get to choose your menu items; everyone is fed the meal of the day which is balanced according to dietary principles. The food and eveything else is fine. Vegans must stay away, since there are no vegan options (nor any other options, either).

Pros: Fine food
Cons: not for vegans
cassius
cassius

a favorite

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2006

I love this place. it is simple, soothing, and very satisfying. Set menu - you just choose brown or white rice and your beverage. Great deal, especially lunch. Indian thali style, all you can eat. Sometimes the food is amazing, sometimes just good, but you will always leave feeling very satisfied.

Pros: good value, soothing ambiance, variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Ayurveda Cafe: