Serves meat, veg options available. Sushi restaurant with a number of vegetable dishes. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Japanese, Take-out, Non-veg

AnnalieseH
AnnalieseH

My go-to for sushi

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2015

When my husband and I want sushi, this is where we go.

1. The atmosphere is nice. The restaurant is small, and the chairs aren't exactly cozy, but it's a cute little restaurant and the servers are always pleasant. Frequent customers also get a discount card, which never hurts.

2. They start you out with miso soup (at least during lunch-- I've never gone for dinner), and it's quite good.

3. The toasted rice green tea is yummy!

4. I think the only appetizer I've tried is the kimchi, and I didn't like it... but I've never had kimchi that I DID like, so I think that's just me.

5. There are about 12 (?) vegan sushi options, though I've not ordered any of the fancier rolls. I always get the avocado roll and vegetable roll, while my husband always gets the avocado roll and shiitake roll. I don't think the sushi is INCREDIBLE!!!, but I think it's good, and I can't say I've had better. It tastes just like the stuff I've made at home.

6. I've never tried any of the entrees, since not many are vegan, and the few that are vegan don't really sound that special to me. Maybe I'll give some a try in the future.

Overall, this is a nice place to have a quiet lunch with a friend. My husband and I used to get sushi at Sucilee when we first moved here, but the sushi is the same quality at Awabi and significantly cheaper. Give it a shot! :)

Updated from previous review on Sunday August 10, 2014

ETA:

Tonight, I had dinner at Awabi for the first time (every other visit had been for lunch). Here was my experience:

1. Miso soup is still served at dinner. Hoorah!

2. Sushi was lovely, as always.

3. I ordered my first entrees tonight. I got the tofu teriyaki; the veggies were tasty, but the entire dish was too oily. My husband got the tofu bibimbop (minus egg). It was okay. We wouldn't order it again, but to be fair, I don't know that it's the restaurant's fault. It was the first time we tried the dish, so maybe it was exactly as it was supposed to be. (We also don't like kimchi, so maybe we just don't like Korean food.)

Overall, it was a nice dinner, but we decided that, from now on, we'll stick with the miso soup and sushi. :)

• thrasher thrasher

this is super helpful! thank you! i will def be going here to try some more things.

thrasher
thrasher

its sushi

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2015

its a pretty generic sushi place. they can make a few vegetable/avocado rolls. its nice for a snack sitting outside on the walking mall on a hot summer day. i have to go back and see what else they have as ive only gone there for snacks. its a pretty cute little place tho. :)

Pros: great location, cute, sushi!
Cons: not a ton of vegan things
SBrown
SBrown

Mediocre Sushi

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

I didn't love this place. They did have several vegan options, but it didn't taste very fresh or authentic. I ordered the vegetable tempera, edamame, and miso soup. None of it was anything special, so I wouldn't recommend this place unless you really want sushi in Winchester, in which case you don't have many options.

Dear Owner and Manager of Awabi Sushi Bar: