Avocado Cafe - Tverskaja

Vegan and raw food choices with some dishes that can be made vegan. At certain times has live music. Western and Japanese cuisines. Also selection of veganized traditional Russian dishes. Has Russian and English menu cards. NOTE: entrance is on Nikitsky pereulok, a side street of Tverskaya. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Raw, Western, Asian, International, Buffet, Beer/Wine
Tverskaja Street, 5/6

frozencemetery
frozencemetery

A breath of fresh air

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

After spending many days in Moscow with (omnivore) friends subsisting mostly on salad, it was nice to find a place I could confidently order from. They had an English menu available, though I expect some subtleties of where dishes come from and how they relate to traditional food was lost in the translation. The waitstaff spoke an impressive amount of English, and the food was quite tasty. It seems to vary rather a lot in how filling it is; according to the people I was with, the lasagna is probably the most filling.

Pros: good food, english menu, lots of veg*anized traditional cuisine
Cons: portion size varies widely, expensive
Gudrun
Gudrun

Pelmeni + Vareniki ;-)

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

I had heard a lot about "Avocado" in Moscow, so my expectations were quite high and I went here right after my arrival in Moscow, together with a non-veg colleague.

Around 9 p.m. we called ahead to make sure there would be space and food for us. We then arrived around 9:30. The extensive menu card (I believe it is exactly the same as at Avocado Cafe - Chistoprudny) was very impressive. Loads of vegan options, also quite some raw food ones.

My colleague was not very lucky with her choices, I believe she made three tries until she found something which was actually available. Maybe because it was late. And I think she was not overly thrilled by what she got at the end (I don't recall exactly what is was). I went for a raw borshtsh soup and a vegan pilaw. The pilaw was good, but not spectacular, and I did not like the borshtsh too much - it was very watery with a lot of raw leek / allium on top.

So, my first experience was not really as great as expected. But after this I returned twice because the menu card looked so great, the people were friendly and the atmosphere was cozy - and the place was not far from my hotel (+ just a few minutes walk from the Red Square). Both times I got really great food: for example wonderful vegan pelmeni and vareniki (2 traditional Russian dishes, both ravioli-like, vareniki are the sweet version) and great fresh salad. So it looks like our first evening was not representative. I will sure get back here on my next visit to Moscow!

Pros: many vegan options, mostly great food, central location
Cons: can run out of stock, no WiFi
Marike
Marike

nice place

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

We had some trouble finding it, luckily there was a large banner with an avocado on it outside which I could spot from the main street. The restaurant is in a cosy basement. The menu is very large, which makes choosing difficult. My non-veg colleague had a lasagne which she liked a lot, I had a dish with eggplant and lentils that I liked so much I have tried to recreate it at home (but it does not get quite as good as in the restaurant). Nice place, I would recommend it.

anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Lovely restaurant

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

A lovely vegetarian restaurant with a relaxed, cosy atmosphere and sumptuously comfortable chairs and couches. Their menu is extensive with plenty of clearly marked vegan options and a large raw food section. Part of the menu changes with the season. The workers speak some English and there is an English version of the menu. It can be a bit pricey if you order off the menu - 500-700 roubles for a starter and main. But they also have a set lunch special (which includes a salad, soup and main) for 210 roubles. I had a raw avocado salad and raw stuffed vegetables. Both were fresh, delicious and artfully prepared. At first there was a misunderstanding and I got an incorrect dish, but the waiter apologised and fixed it up straight away. Another nice, if unusual, aspect was that they give the weight for each dish on the menu. This helps if you're someone (like me) who prefers to eat a decent quantity of food when eating raw.

Pros: Artful raw dishes, Tasty vegan options
Cons: Can be pricey if you don't get the special

Dear Owner and Manager of Avocado Cafe - Tverskaja: