Organic-vegan restaurant. Soup, quiche, dessert, pasta, lasagna, salad, and a daily dish. Also open in evenings during the Ghent Festival. Closes 2014 11/26-11/3, 11/11, 12/25, 1/1/2015. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic

Senkenberg
Senkenberg

Great for lunch

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2014

It’s difficult to understand why Avalon don’t want to make use of their nice premises (which would suit an evening meal), and talented chef(s) to open more hours. As it is, unless during the festival, they only open at lunchtimes, and even then only on 5 days. The service and atmosphere were great. We had a pleasant but unremarkable onion soup (slighly thin), but then an exceptionally good dagschotel (which translates as dish of the day but in Flanders and the Nethelands is really a combination of small amounts of many different items put together by the chef to work as a whole. Avalon’s was really unusual, perfectly cooked and well presented, and made us very glad that we had finally managed to find oursleves in the centre of Ghent at lunchtime. Would definitely go back.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 05, 2014

Pros: Good cooking, Nice premises, Central
Cons: Limited opening hours
MelLide
MelLide

Fantastic Vegan lunch today

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

Our party of 4 travelling from US located this place via Happy Cow.They had 4 daily specials but one was sold out (@about 1:30 PM)so we ordered 3 specials for the table and a large bowl of freshly made soup.Interesting chai latte pudding. She spoke perfect english.
Place was fairly full but waitrees spent a lot of time answering questions.We left with her reccomendation for dinner.

Pros: nice atmosphere,stove , wall tiles, large portions,varied flavors, local organic ingredients
Cons: not a problem but is ""CASH ONLY
veganem
veganem

Great Veggie Restaurant

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

This is one of the best vegetarian restaurants I have been to in Belgium. Prices were reasonable for the quality of the food, and the servings were generous. They were super busy when we went, but the service was still prompt and staff were attentive. The vegan chocolate cake they had was really really good, and what's more, there were 3 vegan dessert items.

Pros: Extensive Menu, Nice location, Vegan desserts!
Cons: Can be very busy- book ahead

Guest
Guest

Creative and tasty

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

My husband and I ate here for lunch yesterday. We are both vegetarian but my husband does not eat anything that contains egg. Avalon catered for our requirements as it is vegan.

It was nice to eat somewhere where we were spoilt for choice as to what to eat! We had one platter which consists of a bit of everything. It had a pastry pie, vegetables with delicious dressing and chick peas. We also had a tofu vegetable pie which came with vegetables and salad. The food was absolutely delicious and very filling! The portios were generous.

We are from the UK and have a great rang of veggie/vegan places to eat but this was one of the nicest places we have been too. The food was tasty and service was great!

We had the chocolate brownie for pudding which was delicious! Very soft and tasty,

All in all a fabulous dining experience!

Would strongly recommend.

Pros: Excellent food, Great service, Lots of choice
Petesternz
Petesternz

Great stuff here...

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

Very much enjoyed our meal at Avalon, and the previous reviews have done a nice job describing the place. It is a beautiful resto, ina great location. Though i dont share an earlier reviewer's notion that this is the best place in Europe - not close, really - it is a very solid option. It is very close to being vegan, and we had no trouble finding things here. The plat du jour was a little dull, though everything was well cooked. Not exciting with plain lentils and such. Better was the grilled seitan steak with roasted potatoes. Yum! Desserts sounded amazing but we were full. Would definitely come back.

Pros: Location, Great atmosphere
Gobbledock
Gobbledock

Delicious, creative and wholesome lunch spot

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2012

I loved my lunch at Avalon, everything about this restaurant put a smile on my face- the friendly and helpful staff, the homely decor, the location next to the castle and of course the very delicious, yet real and wholesome food. My partner and I shared a table with two locals who informed us that Avalon is indeed the best vegan restaurant in Gent, and I would say that it could be one of the best vegan restaurants I've ever eaten at! What I liked about my lunch (the tofu pie/ quiche) was that it was served with a variety of sides, each with a distinct flavour that brought out the original taste and goodness of the ingredient. My partner loved his tempeh rueben, which was also served with the various sides. The deserts were also really great... I couldn't resist the walnut tart! All in all, I'd highly recommend eating at Avalon, its the type of restaurant you could fall in love with, the food was made with so much care and thoughtfulness.

Pros: delicious, thoughtful, nice ambiance
Ed Templeton
Ed Templeton

The best vegan food in Belgium!

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

This is my all time favorite place in Europe. Open only for lunch. The Tempeh Reuben is the best thing ever.

Deanna and I reviewed it on our blog with photos!

We were there again in 2011 and it was still the best.

Pros: Insanely good food., right across from a castle., Best Reuben ever.
Cons: Open only for lunch.
wholelifefood
wholelifefood

Avalon

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

So much more than soup, quiche etc. A lot of attention given to bringing balance on the plate, conceptually, visually, & most importantly taste. The desserts are to die for but no sugar in sight. There is a walled garden at the back - a lovely retreat from the streets of Ghent.

elizabet
elizabet

Fresh & wonderful food.

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2011

What a lovely restaurant. Be sure to sit on the back patio--it's incredibly lovely with fresh herbs growing amongst the tables and lovely buildings.

I, sadly, wasn't super hungry so I had the miso soup. It had fresh spring onions, tofu & cauliflower. It was just ok.
My partner had the daily plate special. OH MAN! As we dined plate after plate of these specials came out. It's basically a sampling of veggies and dishes they have made. It made us both excited about beets! Dish: cauliflower with pesto, saffron rice, roasted beets, cabbage salad with sunflower sprouts, beets and a mustard dressing, roasted parsnips and collards, fried risotto cake(!) and a few other yummy dishes. These are just a guess at what they were, but I can tell you for certain: they were all quite amazing!

Pros: excellent food, lovely patio
Cons: just lunch, pricey
behindthelines
behindthelines

best vegan restaurant in the whole area

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2011

I highly recommend this restaurant. It's one of the few veg* places in Belgium that can actually be called a 'restaurant' (meaning it has a varied menu, offers more then just a 'plat du jour' and is culinary creative).
The food is delicious and always very varied and something new. The chef is very creative and uses flowers, cactus, specific spices, combinations... And delicious vegan desserts.
You can choose a soup/plate of the day, or some other options on the menu, like a tarte or lasagne. The Tempeh Rueben is absolutely fabulous!!. Lunch prices are +/- 15-20 euro pp (with drink)

Sadly, it's only open for lunch. However, every first weekend of the month on Friday and Saturday, and on special occasions/holidays (Valentines, New year's Eve etc.) there are gastronomic dinners (about 50 euro/pp). You definitely need a reservation for those. (and reservation is also recommend for normal lunch!)
I think this is the best vegan restaurant in Flanders. I would suggest people visiting Bruges to take a day trip to Ghent (it's only 25 minutes on the train) and have lunch here!

Pros: culinary experience, fair price
Cons: slightly uncomfy chairs
Caryne
Caryne

Excellent and very busy vegan restaurant

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2011

Vegan food is surprisingly easy to find in Gent, there are three vegan places and several other veggie ones but this, to me, is the best. Very near the castle, so easy to find, this is a busy restaurant with a frindly amosphere. The staff all seem to speak English and they have an english menu. There seems to be different menus for summer and winter so for us it was the winter one. We didn't bother with the starters but had a wonderful Tofu Pie with salad and other vegetables, very tasty and a huge portion. For dessert I had a delicious Tofu Cheesecake but there was also apple crumble or rice pudding to choose from. Everything was freshly prepared and beautiful to look at as well as to eat. The place was very busy, even on a cold and damp weekday lunchtime in January so it might be a good idea to book. The place also is very child friendly and there were quite a few families eating there. We paid just over 30 euros for two main courses, two soft drinks and dessert which seemed prety reasonable.

Pros: All vegan, English Speaking, Delicious food
Cons: Can get very busy
carys
carys

Avalon review

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2011

I went to Avalon in December 2010. It is a beautiful building next to the Castle of the Counts and has a medieval feel to it. Very cosy and warm inside when it was freezing and snowing outside.
I had the special of the day with was a tea, soup, main meal, desert and coffee for 19euros. Bargain! The main meal was typical 'Belgium style' that seems to be common in veggie restaurants there: a plate with many different dishes on it. The dishes on the plate were salad, vegan coleslaw, pie, curry, vegetables, a nut roast type ball, rice. Very nice to have such variety, all delicious.

Pros: cosy, location, delicious vegan food
Koi
Koi

Homemade lasagna!

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2009

My girlfriend and I had lunch at Avalon in early September 2009. When we saw they had homemade (vegan!) lasagna, we both wanted it. The friendly waitress informed us it had to be baked in the oven and would take 15 minutes. About 20 minutes later we both got our steaming hot lasagna in a nice ceramic bowl. It was *very* good. I'd say it's the best vegan lasagna I've ever eaten at a restaurant, but it's also the only time I've had the opportunity to.

Avalon also has a daily special that looked very yummy, as far as we could judge that from sneakily looking at other people's plates.

The interior is very cosy. It's an old building with lots of wood and with different rooms in different sizes. You can even sit outside.

It's located right next to the castle in the center of Ghent. Follow the castle wall to your right when you face the entrance to the castle. It's across the street when you're at the end of the castle.

Pros: vegan lasagna, plenty of seating, cosy
Cons: not open in the evening

Dear Owner and Manager of Avalon: