This is a regular supermarket chain that offers more vegan options at the San Jose Avenida 1 location than at other locations, including multiple brands of soymilk and nut milks and soy yogurt. Carries numerous BioLand products that are widely found at other stores, including cookies, snacks, flax, cereals, organic coffee, and the delicious, expensive, but vegan Britt brand chocolate treats, such as chocolate covered coffee beans, macadamia nuts, and passion fruit jelly. more-less

First Review by Sarah P
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

average grocery store

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

I shopped here years ago when visiting San Jose because of its central location. It is close to the hostels and hotels I have stayed at. The prices have gone up since then but the selection has too. I never found vegan options here in the past but this time I found several. They are all already listed. I found things were a bit expensive compared to other stores.

Pros: location, selection
Longina
Longina

Best chain store

4 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2012

I shop at the Automercado in Los Yoses when at home and at the one in Multiplaza Escazú when at work. Automercado is the best local large chain of supermarkets for shopping of vegan and vegetarian goods. There is a decent selection of soy and nut milks. The have a Boca burgers and breakfast links as well as some Morning Star products like veggie bacon, mock chicken nuggets, breakfast links, burgers and veggie soy crumbles. There are local soy deli products from SoyaLight and soy yogurts. Occasionally they'll bring vegan cheese. As mentioned by others, Automercado carries the entire Bioland line of TVP, granola, cereals, rice cakes, etc. They are now also carrying gluten-free items for those with gluten allergies.

Pros: large selection, very nice stores, friendly staff
Cons: variety of some items is limited
ShawnIsBetter
ShawnIsBetter

The best grocery store in San Jose area

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2011

I lived in San Pedro, which is part of the greater San Jose area for about four months. Auto Mercado was definitely my store of choice for most things. They have many things that are not available anywhere else. eg. soymilk, tofu, imitation meats, I even found vegan ice cream there once. They also have a much better selection of non specialty foods than most other grocery stores in the area. I always went to the one in Los Yoses. Just take a taxi and tell the driver Auto Mercado Los yoses. They don't use addresses there. Oh, and for sure look for Bioland products. It's costa ricas best natural foods brand.

Pros: wide selection, many specialty foods

Sarah P
Sarah P

good option in center of San Jose

3 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2010

I shopped at this Auto Mercado yesterday and found many more options than at other stores, including organic almond milk and several choices of soymilk. There is a coffee cafe on the upper level that does not offer drinks with soymilk. I found 3 flavors of soy yogurt in the yogurt section. The BioLand selection of products is as extensive as any large market or macrobiotic store I have been in. I found bagged organic coffee here, as well as every kind of those delicious Britt chocolates. The prices were less than at many other stores I had been in.

Walk north from the post office on Avenida 3 for several blocks and this Auto Mercado is on the opposite side of the street, on a corner. There is another Auto Mercado a block up on an adjacent corner, but I did not go in that one.

Pros: wide selection of mylks, soy yogurt, better prices than others
Cons: not a 100% vegan store

Dear Owner and Manager of Auto Mercado: