Authentic EthioAfrican

Serves meat, veg options available. Ethiopian food menu with many vegetarian suitable dishes made from vegetables, legumes, potatoes, and spices. Most of the vegetarian dishes are vegan suitable. Has an inexpensive vegan special meal in generous portion. Open hours vary. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Organic, Ethiopian, African, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by ohmygatos
Tigra220
Tigra220

Extremely Disappointing

2 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2014

I love Ethiopian cuisine, and I especially love that they have so many vegan dishes. That being said, it pains me to have to rate this establishment as sub-par. It may have just been an off day.

I arrived around 11:30am. We were the only ones there. I ordered a vegan plate. I was advised I could choose 4 sides, so I chose Misir Wat, Tikel Gomen, Gomen, & Shiro (sp?). My lunch companion is a meat eater; she requested Doro Wat, but was advised they didn't have that today. So, make that 2 vegan plates. No problem.

40 min later our food comes out. I'm very patient, so I wasn't too bothered or upset by this. Then I tried to pay. "No cash?" she asked, as I stand with my credit card in hand. I simply replied, "No." She said that she didn't have the password. I didn't even ask why a password was needed to swipe my card. She called somebody, then informed me that he was on his way. Who? The password?? So we sit...

A man arrived @ 15-20 min later, apologizing profusely. As he processed the charge ($20; $10 per plate), he chatted me up. He asked if it was our first time, and inquired how we heard about them. I answered accordingly. He then requested I rate them highly. Enter my side eye. I was ok with the hour it took to get and subsequently pay for our meal. But when you attempt to solicit unwarranted praise for subpar service, you've now picked my pickle, mister. You didn't even offer me a discount for the inconvenience.

The food:
misir wat & gomen were good, but I've had much better misir wat.
Tikel gomen was undercooked. My cabbage was almost crunchy
Shiro (sp?) was ok.

The portions of veggies were very small. And I eat small portions. There was a ton of injera bread though. Pity, because it went to waste.

Again, maybe it was an off day, but I don't plan on returning to find out.

emilc
emilc

Very flavorful food and friendly service

4 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2013

I got a vegan platter as a to-go order and was not disappointed! While the place is a little bit hard to find (it's right beside a car wash, and parking is in the alley behind), and it is very small, the food packs some awesome flavors! Some of the best Ethiopian food I've ever had. I was impressed that when I called, the owner responded very favorably when I asked for a vegan combo. It came with two extra pieces of injera bread (which they make in-house), and six scoops of the various vegan Ethiopian dishes. It was delicious and the price was only $10! The owner himself was also very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly service, Good prices
Cons: Location, parking

ohmygatos
ohmygatos

Incredibly great!

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

This family owned and run restaurant made my day today. They have some really awesome artwork on the building and inside, however I have driven past many times with out ever knowing it was there. It is my loss to have not noticed it sooner. The price was more than reasonable for 100 percent authentic Ethiopian food. I am moving away this week, but I know that I will be eating here again. It is designed more for you to order and pick up, or they even can deliver it to you, but they were completely hospitable and welcoming for us to sit there and eat. All we had to say was that we did not eat meat, and they had a vegetarian special running that took care of all our cravings. Beautiful and kind personalities behind family recipe's makes this place an A+!

Dear Owner and Manager of Authentic EthioAfrican: