Aunty Mena's

Wellington vegan restaurant serving vegetarian Asian food. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Asian, Malaysian

First Review by ampallang
kim2121
kim2121

Great Choice

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2014

I really loved the food here, and the service was friendly too. I ate here on a rainy day so I was particularly thrilled to find warm, filling vegan food in Wellington. They don't accept credit cards so make sure to bring cash or a debit card.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Service
eveliene99
eveliene99

Amazing Menu

3 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2014

Their menu was amazing, I spent 15 mins deciding what I wanted because everything looked good!
The staff was friendly, the food and drinks were very tasty, I'd definitely go back.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Lots Of Options
Cons: Not Very Cosy
Temi
Temi

Not completely wowed

3 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2014

Aunty Mena's was a good change from our usual vegan spots but after reading the fantastic reviews and walking past it hundreds of times we finally decided to give it a go when our local was closed for holiday. I'm not entirely sold and not certain what all the fuss was about the food was ok but not fantastic and the service was confusing (we were seated but waited to be served for a long time before deciding to go to the till ourselves) we had the sweet and sour "Not meat" and kung pow chicken (or something along those lines) with two entrees. i have worked in the food industry and cannot understand how their service system works. an entree is a pre dinner snack but we seemed to get them whenever they were done cooking so basically we got one entree then 5-10 minutes later the next then dinner straight after. it was just lucky we were sharing.
overall we did enjoy our meals but it could have been better

Pros: everything on menu was vegan
Cons: weird service, average food
Lea
Lea

Humble veggie haven in sordid surroundings

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2014

As we walked down the gauntlet of bars and sleazy sex joints of Cuba Street for the first time we were not filled with confidence about dining in the area. On reaching Aunty Mena's it looked basic and not very inspiring. Likewise, much of the food served looked humble and unsophisticated. But this is one place where the proof is in the eating.

We started off with soy nuggets and spring rolls, which were probably purchased frozen and only cooked on-site, but were yummy nonetheless. Then we had coconut rice, which came with some cashews and wafer things similar to papadums but not as salty. It also came with some veggie tofu curry that was mild flavoured but addictively delicious. I did not like the look of the not chicken dish, as the sauce looked really dark and salty. But to my surprise it was deliciously caramelly and slightly sweet / savoury.

There were only two desserts on the menu so we got one of each and shared. The soy ice cream was very nice. The sago was unflavoured in itself, but drenched in creamy coconut cream and a scrumptious burnt sugar tasting caramel sauce. Heaven!

Don't be deterred by the look of the restaurant or food, it is well worth trying.

Pros: Delicious food, Dessert sauce is amazing, Humble ambience
Giva
Giva

Duped

2 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

Unfortunately I was overcharged by $15 but I didn't realise until I got home. this is not great for me as I am unemployed and trying to get by on a shoestring with only the odd treat to keep me going. Watch what they charge you. Apart from that the food had lots of sugar (who puts sugar in savoury Roti?). The curry was really bland and the mock meat was sweet too. Not a very healthy meal and (for me) not cheap either.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Wide selection of food
Cons: Long time to be served, Overcharged by $15, Food too sweet
vaieen
vaieen

Great food, kind staffs

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2013

I was ravenous when I visited here. I devoured whatever was in front of me, they were all great and delicious. I went back for the second time on the next night before my next depart to a different town. Yum!

Larawr
Larawr

a regular for me

5 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2013

I go here often. The place doesn't look flash, but the service is friendly and the food is great. Curry noodle and roti chanai are my favourites. Portions are good sizes.
Great for going out with a group of friends, just not top choice if you're looking for a fancy place.

Pros: great food, good service, easy location
peas-full
peas-full

Definitely worth going!

5 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

Amazing food with lots of mock meat.
Friendly staff: helpful and happy to arrange special requests (I asked them to add some BBQ pork in my noodles).
Quick service, huge portions and fair prices.
Good location.
Highly recommended!

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, good location and prices
pfmeier
pfmeier

Typical takeaways

4 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2012

I found the food to be good at a good price. I had the spring roll. oily goodness. loved the roti. it was a little sweet and good. seemed like typical takealways and was good for that don't expect 4 star dining or you will be disappointed.

Pros: Roti
SiouxyWoosie
SiouxyWoosie

Ok not too exciting

3 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

I picked something that seemed to be mainly raw cabbage but I would go back and try again and be more cunning in my selection. Friendly but no real fun going on there.

phraser
phraser

Nice food, good price

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2011

I had a great vegan Char Kway Teoh and vegan roti here. Ok, the decor is not very exciting, but if that bothers you get takeaway and go sit on the waterfront. The food is great. I don't find it bland at all. The value for money is also good, we can generally share a dish between two people. A major bonus is that they have vegan Roti and ice cream! All the food and desserts are vegan.

Pros: Vegan Roti!, Large selection, Fresh
Cons: Cafe decor
DiaShel
DiaShel

Great selection

3 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2011

I love how vegan friendly this place is. They have so much to choose from which I love, but I've never been really wowed by the food. I'd like a bit for flavor. I'm not much for things that are deep fried as well so I don't go too often. I think the prices are a little bit steeper then they need to be. Some times I really get a craving for this place though.

Pros: Selection
Cons: Ambiance , not too healthy
karenmcgregor
karenmcgregor

Laksa and Nasi Campur

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2011

This place rocks. We've been coming here for years and love the food, the people and the casual atmosphere. Don't come here for a romantic evening for two - do come here for a vegan friendly space, friendly people and fantastic food. There's more vegan options than almost any other place I've been to. Admittedly, one of us normally gets a laksa - especially on freezing winter nights - and the other the nasi campur, so we haven't experimented a whole lot but these two dishes are delicious... The roti chanai and gado-gado is good too - just dont expect your normal gado-gado sauce - this one is bright orange and based on carrot. The place is brightly lit and unpretentious - perfect for eating alone, as a couple, or with a group of friends. The team running the place seem like extended family - they know what they are doing and you almost feel like you are eating in their house - like a lot of restaurants in Asia. I dont think I've ever seen anyone drinking alcohol in there but there is lots of nice Chinese tea. The service is fast so it is a great place to stop in for a quick bite rather than a longer lingering meal. Check it out...

Pros: food, service, people
Yvette Rigby
Yvette Rigby

Vegan asian cornucopia

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2011

It took me a while to warm up to Aunty Mena's - I love ambient cafes and this, unfortunately, is not one of those. However, if you can get past the shabby interior, the MSG, the deep frying and all the mock meats, Mena's can be a lot of fun. Where else in Wellington can you order a feast of lamb curry and roast duck and harm no animals in the process? :)

Pros: So many choices!, Crazy fake meats
Cons: Shabby, Not-so-healthy
msvegan
msvegan

Average but only Pure Veg. in Wellington

3 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

Ive eaten there several times over the years. Its average and to me the prices seem high for what it is. But, it is the only pure veg place in wellington. Many of the dishes have really been altered for western taste so they can be a bit bland. Lots of oil and mock veggie meats.

I prefer the Veg place out in Lower Hutt better prices and the food's a little bit more traditional.

Pros: Pure veg, Central location
Cons: No atmosphere, pricey for quality of food
mkpurvis
mkpurvis

My favourite restaurant in Wellington

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2011

The food here is outstanding, and they have a good range of offerings. All the things I have tried here I like.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 20, 2011
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 20, 2011

Pros: good range, large servings, downtown location
Cons: lunch counter decor
rosecollins
rosecollins

Cheap, good food

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

Finally got to try this place the other day. I had the chow mee (chow mein) which includes a decent amount of vegetables and some excellent mock chicken. The mock meats from this place can't be beaten - I ate with an omnivore who said if I hadn't told him it was mock, he'd have thought it was actal chicken.
Menu has a lot of stuff on it so there is heaps to choose from.
It's not a 5 star restaurant so don't expect it to be flash - personally I like the homeliness of the place but if you're picky then you may not like it. Hygiene is great and they had an "excellent" rating from the city council.
Staff very friendly and food arrives fast.
Will regularly be visiting!

Pros: cheap, friendly staff, big meals
highlander
highlander

Disappointed

2 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2011

Came here after reading rave review. Came with group of 4 people, but we all were quite disappointed. Main reason for disappointment is the very bland nature of the food, we all had different dishes, they were all bland. Even the ones from the "Malaysian" section. The entrees were all deep fried. More variety in terms of types of cooking would be good. However service was fast and portions generous. Staff are friendly. I personally won't be coming back or recommending it to someone because of the blandness of the food.

Pros: Fresh, Quick service, Generous servings
Cons: Bland, Uninspiring environment, Level of cleaning so and so
Jessqi
Jessqi

One of My Favourite Places to eat in Wellington

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2009

Aunty Mena's is a regular hangout for me these days. A while back (years) I had tried it and been less than impressed. But my family convinced me to go back. They have excellent fresh food which is delicious. I especially love their laksas and curries. Stay away from the Gado Gado and mock chicken legs though. However especially try their dumpling laksa and their vegan roti!! The dumpling laksa is delicious. The prices are a little higher than some of the other very cheap Malaysian restaurants in the area but the food quality is higher and it's well worth it.
The decor is not fantastic but who cares.
Also it can be either empty or very crowded. It seems to vary greatly.

Also their deep fried food such as their deep-fried hash browns and their vege balls are wickedly good.

Pros: Yummy Food, Fresh Food, Quality Food
Cons: Poor Gado Gado, Mock Chicken Legs
philjdomm
philjdomm

Not 2 Mocky, Not 2 original or mundane

3 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2009

typical malaysian.
all prices to me are expensive but that goes with economy and the min wages.

Miggi
Miggi

Vegan roti, curry and noodles - great!

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2009

OK, the decor is pretty uninspiring and run-down but the food was great.
We tried a curry with roti - they make their own vegan roti which you should definately try! Mock chicken satay sticks, noodles with veg and mock meat, and a soup. All the food was cooked fresh (by a rather tired looking man) and they asked how spicy we wanted everything.
The portions are really big - only order a large portion if you are really hungry as you definately get what you ask for!
It wasn't at all busy when we went so we really noticed how run-down the place looked. A couple of the staff were sitting just behind us preparing veg and watching TV, which made us feel like we'd arrived when they were hoping to get some time to themselves - not very welcoming. I think they could improve the environment with relatively little effort - would be fantastic if it was as good as their food.

Pros: vegan roti!, big portions, reasonable price
Cons: Decor
maynard7
maynard7

Just average

3 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2008

I guess I was expecting more after reading the rave reviews on here. I ordered the Gado Gado and didn't like it that much. The menu said it came with a peanut sauce, but the sauce was really mashed sweet potatoes with some crushed peanuts mixed in. An odd combination of ingredients, and it was way too sweet. It seemed expensive for what it was. Not willing to give it another try.

Pros: Location, Fresh ingredients
Cons: Not that tasty, Relatively expensive
veganlocoengineer
veganlocoengineer

Thanks Mena!

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2007

Having been a loyal customer of Mena's going on 3 yrs now I have to say I have always been well impressed with the food and the service. The laksa is divine and sates a raging hunger. The soya and potato roti chanai is perfect on a cold night. There's a meal here for everyone for every occasion. Also if you like your food spicy, let them know and they can make it accordingly.

Pros: wide menu, cheap, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: sometimes v.busy
ampallang
ampallang

Interesting place

4 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2007

It was very busy when i went there. I didnt' realise you paid before you ate. But I had a great meal. I had Godu godu... though it was most of a sweet type of sauce with peanuts in it. Lovely Roti bread, probably the best i've had in a while. Nice drinks but staff were very busy.

Pros: Great roti, good prices
Cons: busy staff, small resturant

Dear Owner and Manager of Aunty Mena's: