Vegetarian restaurant next to Black Canyon, inside Thaphae gate. Serves food and tea. Relaxed interior with cozy upstairs dining. Current owner since Jan 2010. Closes 1st and 2nd of each month. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Thai

First Review by Lek
reissausta ja ruokaa
reissausta ja ruokaa

Great thai salads

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2014

I had a great salad made of mushrooms and my spouse had salad with eg. green eggplant (they weren not those small thai eggplants, more like European dark eggplant). Both salads tasted great. They were thai-style and well seasoned.

Pros: great salads, good location
Hmjohnson4
Hmjohnson4

Great food and atmosphere

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

Aum is great! I think about anything on their menu can be made vegan and they speak/understand English quite well! The location is great and the ambience is very typical/wonderful for northern Thailand. Everything I ate here was delicious

Pros: Ambience , Taste, Location
Cons: Price for amount
stuartbnyc
stuartbnyc

Typically hippy but good food

3 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

Had a good meal here. It's definitely dirty hippy but what can you do. Service is weak but that's pretty typical for Thailand. Worth a go.

Oslo
Oslo

Nice spot

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

Had a late lunch here on a weekday, smallish portion of tasty tofu larb and generous portion of yummy fried tempeh with a spicy but not overly sweet dipping sauce. They sell some simple natural cosmetics as well.

Pros: Friendly, Fast service , Yummy
Gudrun
Gudrun

A classic in Chiang Mai

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

"Aum" is a nice restaurant with friendly and helpful service and great food. I really liked the place and I would get back to it soon - if I still was in Chiang Mai.

"Aum" has all day breakfast and an extensive menu with several vegan options (which are not labelled). The menu is mainly Asian, many classic Thai dishes (veggie version), but also e.g. sushi or some Indian food. In addition they serve some western food, like veggie burgers & chips. Tempeh can be added to any dish on request. Among the beverages available at "Aum" are fresh fruit and vegetable juices, Thai herbal tea and "hill tribe coffee". "Aum" does not use MSG.

I was here only once and I had a Thai curry which was fresh and really yummy, and a fresh coconut juice (the latter is nothing special in Thailand, but it is one of my favorite drinks).

The atmosphere is cozy, relaxed and alternative. There are lots of second hand books upstairs on the second floor, I believe they are for sale, but I did not ask. In any case especially the second floor looks very inviting.

The location is very central, close to Taipae gate and easy to find.

They have also deet-free natural mosquito protection for sale. I did not check that out, but it might be worth doing so.

Pros: great food, variety of food, friendly staff, homely ambience
Cons: vegan food not labelled
KatjaEhrhardt
KatjaEhrhardt

Impressive menu

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2013

The menu makes it hard to decide, but it doesnt matter what you take, everything was good that i had. They even had tempeh.

carnilius
carnilius

Best Khao Soi

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

Delicious food, great prices, easy location. After our first visit, we didn't want to try anywhere else in town as it was SO GOOD! The waitress wouldn't tell us her secret ingredients to her Khao Soi, but she encouraged us to try it elsewhere in town as well (we did, but Aum's was better by a longshot). Really wish we could get Khao Soi at home, or learn how to make it like there!

Pros: delicious, convenient location, khao soi
TroyKent
TroyKent

My favorite restaurant in Chiang Mai.

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

The food here is amazing. I ate at this place nearly every single day for a week and a half. The veggie burger and avocado maki were my favourite choices, along with a mixed fruit shake. The upstairs seating area is really cool and something you don't really expect when you walk inside. I visit this place every time I am in Chiang Mai and will continue to do so.

Pros: extensive menu, friendly staff, good service
Cons: none
Miggi
Miggi

Aum = Yum

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2012

Easy to find - come into the city centre through Thapae Gate, turn left and walk about 20 yards.
Sweet place with friendly staff, nice fresh fruit drinks and a big menu of food. It was a little bit difficult to be certain which things were vegan but the waitress knew whether things had egg or not.
We've eaten here a few times during our stay in Chiang Mai and had great meals.
We tried indian rice with tofu and kao soi. Have to say the indian rice was not as spicy as expected but there was chilli sauce we could add, and I'm now in love with kao soi and plan to try it everywhere possible!
Other times, we tried their "herbal crispy" dish, which is large green herb leaves dipped in a tempura-like batter and fried until very crispy, served with a spicy dipping sauce. Their spicy papaya salad is fantastic. Hell, even the spring rolls are full of content and flavour!
We had our best meal in Chiang Mai here.

Pros: Kao Soi, Easy to find, friendly
Cons: not 100% vegan
patthai74
patthai74

Lovely Thai food

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2012

Yummy! Lovely little Thai veggie restaurant with a nice ambiance and great service. Best Khao Soi we have eaten. Kids friendly place too. Micr extra detail; there are guitar scattered around the place which are free to play.

Pros: yummy food, cheap, great service
coldwrld
coldwrld

Best food I had in Thailand.

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2012

This was the nicest food I had in Thailand, very fresh, healthy and tasty!
The meals are a good size and I eat alot... Other users said expensive but compared to what?... Restaurants on the same road charge similar prices and are not 100% vegetarian and have gross tourists smoking and drinking out the front.

My partner and I shared the burger, gyoza style dumplings, fresh spring rolls, garlic/chilli morning glory, steamed brown (wild) rice and two pineapple/coconut/banana shakes for 380THB... $11US

Everything was amazing.

Pros: Super fresh., Super healthy., Western / Thai / Japanese
MilesChap
MilesChap

broad range of meals

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

I have eaten lunch/dinner here many times over the past 3 years and have never been disappointed. Always has brown rice, a nice vegetable meal selection, & sometimes red wine.

No A/C, but several fans. Staff is attentive and service is fast; meals can be varied as you prefer; clean.

Pros: excellent food, friendly
msvegan
msvegan

Good Thai food

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2012

There was a change in owners a year or so ago so I think that may explain some of the negative reviews. I think the owner and her family are very friendly. She makes THE BEST Khao Soi(makes a mushroom stock from scratch with barely any sugar-unlike other places], great tempura, as well as other Thai and western standards. No MSG. Its a really calm pleasant environment full of books and a nice change from the standard hole in the wall.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 04, 2011
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 07, 2011

Pros: Good food, Calm environment, great staff
foodcircles.org
foodcircles.org

A Chiang Mai Classic

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2012

Aum is a peaceful spot (upstairs), really central and has a great menu. The fresh spring rolls, the seaweed salad (on the pricy side but it is a big portion), and the soups are my favourites, The staff is kind and the food is value for the money. They have a used books store and sell natural body care products downstairs, their mosquito repellant is great. And they have a big board with the latest yoga and workshop ads, a nice place to go to catch up on news.

Pros: tasty food, info board, good portions
Agenda
Agenda

Tasty, good, relaxed atmosphere

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2012

It has changed since 2008! Menu is completely new and prices are on a high side (up to 120 for rolls and 180 for pizza). The portions are still generous. I checked the second floor - it's as cosy as it can be, nothing in Chiang Mai can compare! At least, among veg.places. Food is delicious, staff is quick, very friendly and accomodating. I loved the atmosphere.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 21, 2008

Pros: Location, Staff, Library
Cons: Prices are high
pavotrouge
pavotrouge

nice, but not awesome

3 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2011

Good selection of food (Thai, Western, Japanese), cooked well, although servings are on the small side and prices a bit expensive compared to most places in Chiang Mai (cheap compared to other vegetarian places). I went 4 or 5 times, staff was quite slow and wouldn't even smile or talk, except for telling you how much to pay. It was always very quiet when I was there, none of the great atmosphere others raved about.

Pros: good selection, healthy, convenient location
Cons: uninterested staff, small portions, Thai food very westernised
Jessie Rose
Jessie Rose

Best Khao Soi Ever

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2011

If you go here you have to have the Khao Soi, it was one of my favourite meals in Thailand, I had it 3 times in a week. YUM!

I did once have the Pad Thai and I wasn't very impressed, perhaps if that was the first dish I tried here I wouldn't have returned. Luckily I had the Khao Soi my first time so I was sold!

The upstairs area is lovely, sitting on floor cushions, beautiful!

Pros: Excellent Khao Soi, Service, Good Value
Cons: Pad Thai not very good
dimitri
dimitri

• raw

good place/friendly staff/relaxed place

3 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2010

been there 3 times,good prices, good people, nice food, its not a gourmet food but its simple nice daily food and fresh,support the 100% veg restaurant than the veg friendly restaurant, you can meet always nice people at 100% restaurant and not just random people

Pros: nice juices, cheap prices, fresh food
Cons: variety of dish, none good english spoken staff
  • eatinggreen eatinggreen

You're so right about the people thing. Vege people are always much cooler and that sure can make a big difference ;)

JesseD
JesseD

Good, standard Thai Veg Fare

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2009

I think the previous reviews were a little harsh. Indeed, Aum is nothing extraordinary, but with all the books(Buddhist I think, but I didn't check) it does feel like a genuine Thai vegetarian Buddhist restaurant, though it clearly caters mostly to a tourist/expat market. Food was standard Thai fare, but cheap and delicious, with a range of fresh juices available as well. Staff were friendly but stayed out the back so I hardly saw them; I had to ring the bell to pay!
Aum will not be the best or most memorable meal you have in Chiang Mai, but if you want a cheap, healthy, filling meal, right in the centre, you can't go wrong with Aum. When I was in Chiang Mai two years ago (before I knew about the happy cow) I ate there nearly every day because it was up the road from my guesthouse.

Pros: tasty and healthy, cheap, centrally located
veggievixen
veggievixen

nothing special...

3 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2008

we went to AUM twice during our stay in Chiang Mai, not that it's particularly good, but its location is more convenient and the price is reasonably low. there's really nothing special about the menu. i'd prefer may kaidee which is just a few streets away from AUM.

Pros: good price
Cons: menu: nothing special
sunbearcub
sunbearcub

we love aum

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2008

oh wow. I am surprised at the negative reviews here. I remember reading them before we left and saying to myself - never - but I forgot and found myself there last week. The staff were so friendly to me and my boyfriend - especially the older lady (boss i think) and have continued to be (we eat there most days as it is sooo cheap). Everything we have ordered has been great. The Kausoi (northern curry with noodles) is great and huge for 40 THB. The fried rice was tasty and full of veges also for 40 THB. I guess if you are a raw vege or very particular about tofu or only like 0% oil in your food you may not be happy but if you enjoy a vege burger or a creamy curry you will love the food here. One thing i've noticed about my boyfriend and I... we are not your average vegans.

Pros: good value, tasty food, good portions
Lek
Lek

A side of sizism with your dinner?

2 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2007

We ate at Aum several times the first week we were in Chiang Mai, as many of the guidebooks suggest it. Even though the food is wonderful, the staff leaves much to be desired. Our last time eating at Aum, an older manager type women sat at the table beside us and watched my partner and i eat, until she came over and asked us if i had any children. She explained that she thought we had kids, as I was so large (gesturing hugely with her arms). I would rather support a place with a more comfortable vibe and a little less sizism.

Pros: good variety of veg food, good book selection to pass the time, its nice to sit on the ground and eat
Cons: unfriendly staff, sizist staff, staff who stare at you while you eat

Dear Owner and Manager of Aum: