Serves meat, veg options available. A dine-in Vietnamese and Chinese food restaurant in Uptown New Orleans. Has a vegetarian section on the menu, and any meat dish can be turned into a vegetarian dish with tofu. Mon-Thur Lunch specials. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Vietnamese, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

ERami
ERami

Very Nice Place

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

Eating strictly whole food/plantbased is quite challenging in New Orleans. We happened to stay in a hotel on St. Charles Ave and were looking for a place to eat. Just around the corner from the hotel we found August Moon, a non-descript building near a vacant lot. After reading the menu, we didn't bother to look any further and went in.
We loved the fact that August Moon had an entire page dedicated to vegetarian dishes. My lemon grass tofu dish was good and the tofu was pan-seared to perfection. I had expected it to be somewhat greasy, but thankfully it was not. It's too bad the sautéed onions overpowered the lemongrass. The dish also had plenty of vegetables and a heap of rice vermicelli and also came with a serving of brown rice. The vegetarian sauce (requested on the side) was flavorful. The portion was quite generous, and DH had to finish it for me.
DH ordered vegetables curry which had a spicy curry sauce that he said was quite good. He had requested "hot" but found it not to be as hot as he wanted, so he added some hot sauce.
We also ordered fresh spring rolls which were decent, but the peanut sauce made them exceptional.
Service was good, although they brought our check before we had a chance to order dessert, so we didn't order any.

All in all, August Moon was a great find.

Pros: many vegetarian choices, generous portions, good food and good value
Cons: staff was in a hurry to close
sarahr
sarahr

Peanut sauce is awesome

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2012

I love this place. I'm vegan and I get the vegetarian spring rolls. They come with a delicious thick peanut dipping sauce. I always get a soup or rice or vermicelli dish with a ton of veggies, tofu and a lot of yummy sauce! If you are going for fried stuff, ask them if they have fried any meats in it before, or if they have changed the oil. It's a really clean and honest place, and the hours are amazing!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Large portions
Cthomas
Cthomas
  • non-vegetarian

Very Good Restaurant

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2011

This restaurant is in Uptown and is priced right. I've been several times. The menu is vast like most Asian Restaurants. You really can't go wrong with your order. This restaurant has been there for many years and a favorite of the locals. The atmosphere is ok...just a big open room with quality tables and chairs. Not much privacy if that's your thing. They have a huge take out business as well. The service is always good and the people are friendly.

Pros: Price, Service, Quality Food
Cons: Big Open room is not the best

nolaveggirl
nolaveggirl

Yummy Tofu

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2010

I'm a big fan of their fried vegetable rolls. Come during lunch (11-4) and get a good deal-entrees from around $5-$7 and they come with sides. I wish they would allow the egg fried rice to be switched with vegetable fried rice, though. When I went recently, I asked for the General Tsao Chicken to be switched out with tofu-they happily obliged and it was delicious.

Pros: Various Tofu Dishes, Friendly Service, Great lunch specials

Dear Owner and Manager of August Moon: