Au Lac Royal Vegetarian Cui...

Vietnamese food restaurant featuring an extensive menu of dishes made with tofu and vegetable plus a range of mock meats. Most food is vegan. Has high chair for children. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Asian, Take-out, Catering

Mon-Sun 5:30pm-10:30pm, Tue-Sun 11:30am-2:30pm

First Review by Altotude
Franz Huckleberry
Franz Huckleberry

Go to vegan food in Canberra

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

I can't count the number of times I've been here since moving to Canberra, for takeaway and eat in. Delicious food, always incredibly fast, open late - a rarity in Canberra. I've enjoyed many a meal with meat eaters who are pleasantly surprised. My favourites are probably bird's nest, laksa, crispy (soy) duck and curry puffs. They make good three colour drink too. I've always wanted to try the deep fried soy icecream but somehow eat way to much and can't fit it in!

Pros: Amazing vegan vietnamese food, Super fast, Cheap and open late
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Great Vietnamese food in a great setting

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2014

A clean, modern and intelligently simple place with plenty of space.

The food was great - I found nothing especially exhilarating but it was good quality vegan Vietnamese fare.

Unfortunately most of the desserts contain dairy. It's extremely unfortunate when a place could be fully vegan but a few simple omissions like this spoil it. They did have soy ice-cream but compared to the non-vegan offerings it was underwhelming.

Well worth a visit. I will return without a doubt when next in Canberra.

Pros: Large selection, Good quality food, Smart setting
Cons: Not all vegan.
vegelover
vegelover

Very yummy vegetarian meals

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2014

Been to Canberra recently, tried out their fried tofu, vegetarian fish & soya duck noodle. Very nice vegetarian food. Impressed by the atmosphere and quality of food. friendly staff.

Need to tell them if don't want want onion, garlic in the meal.

Pros: Easy to find, Nice vegetarian food, Friendly staff

veganem
veganem

Vegan Heaven

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

Hands down best place for vegans to eat in Canberra. The laksas, roast soy duck and Vietnamese cannaloni are favourites.

Milnesco

vegan mikal
vegan mikal

Upmarket feel, great flavours

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2013

Au Lac was only half full when we dropped in for our first visit - a casual Sunday lunch. Right away, we were impressed that many of the folks finishing off their meals were long-time regulars, a positive sign for first-timers in any eating establishment.

We decided to order three different noodle soups and a mock pork-and-noodle dish. We were amazed by the massive bowls that appeared quickly at our table. Lunch turned into a drawn-out affair as we struggled through our huge and very flavoursome soups. Although the recipes were clearly simple, the meals were nourishing and filling.

Au Lac is clean and sleek, with well-trained and genuinely helpful staff. It feels like it should be a much more expensive venue; thankfully, its menu is moderately priced. It is a must for anyone wishing to experience vegan Vietnamese food in plush surroundings.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 25, 2013

Pros: Prices are just right, Great staff, Nice interior
Kimbo86
Kimbo86

Yummy!

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2013

My boyfriend and I came across this place while looking for kingsland. We r both vegan but the menu is vego and doesn't use egg so most of the menu is suitable for vegans. So glad we came here!! It was fresh, tasty and so so delicious! We had the lemon chicken and tofu with veg and cashews, it was so good! One of the best mock meats we have ever had. The decor is nice and open and clean and the owner was super nice. He said they have just opened another in woolongong, I wish he would open one in adelaide where we r from! I loved it!

Pros: Great mock meat, No too oily - very fresh, Nice decor
moo
moo

Wonderful fresh flavour and variety

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

Au Lac makes me salivate at the thought of visiting Canberra (which is generally not a happy thought for a Sydney-sider).

In true Vietnamese style, it prides itself on fresh vegetables cooked but still crisp, with mock-meats thrown in, and flavours that are simple but can be extended with provided herbs. The restaurant has a variety of foods on the menu, but none has failed to please the tastebuds.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value
ShelA
ShelA

Best vegan restaurant meals yet!

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2012

Au Lac is a mostly vegan restaurant it is well priced, and had amazing flavour balance in the dishes between fresh vegetables and the focus of the dish. I can highly recommend this understated gem. We will definitely be returning.

Pros: Vegan food options, Price, Service
sbszine
sbszine

Very good

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2012

A bunch of unrelated asian foods, ranging from Thai to RSL Chinese (lemon chicken, beef in black bean) to authentic northwestern Chinese stuff. All very good, in pleasant surrounds. There's a large menu and a very good specials board which seems to change regularly. The best vego in Canberra, I think.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 12, 2012

Pros: Variety, Atmosphere
Cons: Uses honey
perndragonridr
perndragonridr

Great service, great food, reliable.

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2010

This is my most visited veg restaurant in Canberra. Even omni's love it!

This is my standby when I dont want to cook. Always delicious, not been disappointed. Fresh, authentic, friendly, yummy. A great place to dine. Book ahead if dining at night. Can get really busy.

VeJo
VeJo

Good stuff

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2010

We go to Au Lac (Is it French for at/to the lake?) every time we're in Canberra. It's far better value than Kingsland around the corner. The food is tasty and not too greasy. We enjoyed the lemongrass tofu -- very much the same style as salt and pepper tofu -- last time we were there. I don't usually go for spring rolls, but at Au Lac they're great. The tamarind "fish" is also a stand out. This place is certainly up there with the best of Sydney's Asian veg restaurants, and a great place to take the family.

Pros: great food, inexpensive, family friendly
emp03
emp03

Best Restaurant in Canberra

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2010

Au Lac is the best place to eat in Canberra. The food is absolutely delicious every time and the prices are excellent. There is a great range of dishes making it hard to choose just one! The laksa is a must. It is a great size, price and is so tasty you will never want it to end! If you are a vegan and you like Vietnamese food, this is the place for you!!

Pros: Super tasty, cheap, vegan friendly
Altotude
Altotude

Great Vietnamese food

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2007

You can get all manner of mock-meat here and also more 'traditional' asian vegetarian and vegan fare (in fact I think most if not all of the food is vegan). The food is light-tasting, fresh, cheap and delicious. It's an excellent place to go for a banquet and share a few different dishes with friends.

Pros: Family-friendly, Good value, Nice staff
Cons: Sometimes noisy

Dear Owner and Manager of Au Lac Royal Vegetarian Cuisine: