Au Grain de Folie

Paris veggie restaurant with a small menu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, French
Rue la Vieuville, 24 (metro: Abesses)
Paris, France 75018

Open hours vary, call ahead.

First Review by Poundie
NicScott
NicScott

Much appreciated veggie oasis :-)

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

Unbelievable that just one person runs this place! Very healthy and tasty food (I had the ginger/onion seitan main meal option for €15 which came with Brown rice, curried veg, puy lentils, raw beetroot, carrot, and cabbage). My boyfriend had a different main meal option, plus a dessert. A carafe of good wine was €15,50. Yes, whilst there's not much space and just one person working there, overall, it was so refreshing to have an affordable, tasty, nutritious and non-stodgy meal in a normally expensive part of Paris, cooked and served up by a friendly owner who's dedicated to vegetarianism/veganism :-)

Pros: Great healthy food, Lovely, hardworking owner/chef/waitress , Reasonably priced for Monmartre
Sarayna
Sarayna

Great character

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

All the reviews below are accurate - both positive and negative!
Bit cramped (especially toilet which is full of stuff!) but charming. There are about 5 tables inside and another 3 outside so you may have to wait for a table.
Owner/chef/waitress is disorganised indeed, and waited over half an hour after ordering before I got my drink (after asking for it again). It seems everything is made from scratch (you can see it being made) which is good.
Felt very healthy.
There was a second chef/waitress this evening. Both friendly. Would go again.

Pros: Healthy, Charming, Atmosphere
Cons: Slow service, Cramped
JennaBrown
JennaBrown

au grain de folie

2 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

We stumbled upon this place on our last night in Paris when on our way to a different veg-friendly resturant. Let's just say we wish we continued on our way past! The strangest thing about this place is that it actually has some good reviews on Tripadvisor, Google and Happy Cow... how on earth they exist we will never work out. I love a quirky little hippie cafe, heck, I'm drawn to them, which is probably why we ended up deciding to eat here. The omni-partner on the other hand hates the slow service that normally comes with them. Mistake number one was probably him asking the waiter/owner if she had a menu we could look at. Her response? "Of course I have a menu, how can I sell my food?!". I laughed it off and we sat down to order a few beers, a hummus starter and the 13 euro plate each, which was a selection of vegies and your choice of 'main'. When our beers arrived they were hemp beers (cue the partner's eye rolling), which I found quite funny ("it's still beer!"). Starving, we glanced towards the kitchen every 5 minutes or so, waiting for our hummus to arrive. 25 minutes later it comes and we dig in... unfortunately it's super dry, probably the only 'bad' hummus I've ever eaten, and the bread is stale. Ah well, it filled a hole! Another hour passes and after asking a few times for our meal, and getting responses in French from the owner who speaks perfect English, we're told that it's taking so long because they ran out of rice. A few minutes later our meal arrives, with cold rice (how did that happen?). It's, um... interesting. A plate of raw vegies, cold seitan, with the only seasoning seemingly being a sprinkle of vegetable stock over the plate. The result is a sometimes bland forkful of food and sometimes overpowering salty flavour. All up we paid 45 euro.

kandimba
kandimba

Sweet and cozy but...

4 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2013

A tiny place where a woman cooks for you. Feels like going to someone's house. Which can be either great or terrible.
If you're in a hurry, don't go there. This a slow food restaurant :) I didn't wait for long but the place was almost empty and I could guess that it would take forever to serve everyone if the place was full.
You pay 13€ for the menu, which has salad, lentils or beans and the main course you choose. My seitan had too much ginger in it (and I love ginger) but the rest was great. I particularly liked the hummus. The apple crumble is also delicious.
A fine choice for one of those days when you feel like strolling slowly. You can climb the hill, see the views, stroll in Montmartre, eat here, have a cafe with Amelie Poulain and end the day at the Seine, thinking about how our obcession with time ruins our life. If you're not in the mood for this, skip this place and have a Falafel. Hmmm, Falafel... :)

Pros: Good food, Nice mood
Cons: Slow
Notre-Dame
Notre-Dame

An absolute nightmare

2 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2013

What can I say ... This is a very small restaurant, very dirty and chaotic. The food tasted weird and I'm surprised not to be sick. I even found a Hair in my pie! Disgusting!

Cons: Unclean, Outdated, Bad food
lena.osterhus
lena.osterhus

Avoid!

2 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2012

This is definitely not a 'restaurant'. It's a very small place, reminds me of some old lady's kitchen. We got super stale bread, horrible service and strange dips, that tasted like its been sitting in the fridge for weeks.

Cons: Service, Food
edcambridge
edcambridge

Excellent, Quaint with good Service

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2012

My wife and I found this restaurant during our vacation in France. The food was delicious; a surprising burst of intricate flavors and spices. We highly recommend this restaurant for anyone visiting Paris.

Pros: Healthy Food, Delicious, Good Service
Stephanie NC
Stephanie NC

Will not be returning...

2 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

Went here for dinner on Saturday. It is the only place I could find in central Montmartre.

The options are limited: a few apps, and then the standard "plate" of veggies/bean/grain with 4 options of items to add to the plate. We both chose the seitan option.

We waited over an hour for our food to arrive. One-third of the plate was shredded raw cabbage and carrot. The rest of the plate was filled with small mounds of different items (carrot salad, lentils, rice, onion salad). The seitan mound was delicious - but it was only 3 spoonfuls of food!

So we left very unsatisfied. We waited so long for a small serving of very mediocre food - all of which could have been prepared in our own apartment. I remember thinking the seitan was really yummy but I cant remember what it tasted like because I only had 3 tiny tastes of it.

We also ordered humus which was okay. Served with a few tiny slices of bread.

Another disconcerting thing is the cleanliness of the place. Our table was not wiped down, the crumbs from the previous people were just shaken off the placemat. The server was also prepping the food, while handling money and clearing plates. She made the humus from scratch - which is one reason things took so long. We could see everything she did from our table (it is a very tiny place) and we could see her sneezing and not washing her hands etc. She was not friendly either, perhaps because she was trying to get the carrots/cabbage, humus etc prepared for the dinner rush.

All in all, a weird place. Food didn't taste bad, but our bill was 40Euros and we were not at all satisfied when we left, or treated nicely when we were there. If I am ever back in the area I will try to find a falafel stand or other ethnic food option rather than going here again.

Pros: healthy, cute and cozy place
Cons: loooong wait, hygiene poor, small portions
Babette
Babette

Nice place

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2012

The owner is very friendly and helpful.

I ordered the La Curieuse plate and it was quite delicious. The beans were perhaps not really seasoned, but the tart and salads were delicious.

Good macrobiotic food.

Pros: friendly owner, atmosphere
Cons: some things are bland
Egads14
Egads14

wish i could like this

2 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

I would love to be more positive about a vego place, but I too found the interior shabby, not cute, service beyond slow and food far below what I would make at home. Service was polite, but if you're vego go somewhere else and if you're vegan, hmmm, try cooking at home. It was healthy, fresh but very bland and oddly presented. The seitan was good but was served with flavourless cold lentils and all the sides described previously. The bread for our entrees was stale. The download and hot chic drinks were nice. Sorry to review negatively, but this is not a good place for the vego cause! Definitely don't bring non vegos here.

Pros: friendly staff, healthy, fresh
Cons: bland, slow, ambience
vegsdnjoms
vegsdnjoms

Au Grain de Folie improves!!

5 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2011

When we visited this charming little restaurant yesterday we were surprised positively by a waitress in addition to the owner/ cook.
We did not have to wait long for our food, which was very good.
Price was 13 EUR for "formule" which means entrée and main course on one plate. Seitan can be truly recommended.
Sure, this is no place for "fast food". And this was pointed out by the very friendly and warm-hearted owner herself. Bring time and enjoy the atmosphere, then "Au Grain de Folie" is a beautiful experience in the heart of Montmartre.

Pros: food, atmosphere
Cons: very small
Paulie10022
Paulie10022

Mixed

3 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

I read the previous reviews and pretty much knew what I was letting myself in for, and in that way, all the comments here are extremely accurate. The place and owner are incredibly charming, the food is fresh, although not particularly inventive, but it is a disaster - total chaos.

At first, the lack of organization and scatter-brained owner/chef/server are entertaining. But as time wears on and you still haven't eaten, or been brought a drink, or waited 45 minutes to pay, it becomes more and more irritating - at least it did for me. I had nowhere else to be, but started to resent the fact that with the addition of just one competent waiter or chef, this could have been a lovely experience. One person cannot do it all - especially one with apparent severe ADHD!

The menu tells you that you can choose one of about 4 different main courses, which then come on a plate with a grain, legume and salad, but these vary from day to day and are not specified. I hope you like surprises. I chose the seitan, sautéed with mushrooms and onions and it was delicious - served with brown rice, plain lentils, grated (raw) carrot, red and white cabbage and lettuce. SHe sprinkles on a flavored salt, which helps with the somewhat bland flavors

I sincerely hope that the owner will see some of these reviews and recruit someone to help. Although if that were going to happen, I'm sure she would have done it by now. There is a great amount of affection and sympathy for this place and many of us would like to see it succeed. Several people came in after me and their meal took even longer. She acknowledged (to the entire room) that she is disorganized and that our only consolation should be that sometimes she is even worse!

Pros: Great location, cute ambience, fresh food
Cons: SLOOOOOOOOW service, SLOOOOOOOOW service, SLOOOOOOOOW service
KandE
KandE

Pleasant surprise

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2011

My wife had injured her foot earlier in the day, so rather than dragging her around to find a place to eat, I scouted this place out (there's some uphill walking from the underground). When we came back, the tables were filled, so we had to wait. My wife struck up a conversation with another American waiting outside (turns out she is in Jimmy Buffett's group). Eventually, we got seated inside, but it seemed like we were never going to get served. When I finally decided that my wife's blood sugar was not going to allow us to wait any longer, the hostess asked, "Oh, you are leaving me? You are next." So I pointed out my dilemma and she said not to worry.

I waited. Best decision I made in Paris.

Both meals were delicious, healthy, and interesting. The owner/cook/hostess/waitress was busy but never rude. The atmosphere was correspondingly charming. I would definitely go again. I wouldn't plan to be in a hurry, but then that's a good rule of thumb when eating anywhere in Europe.

Pros: atmosphere, flavor, selection
Cons: speed, capacity
Tara Hawken
Tara Hawken

cute little surprise

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2011

we visited this restaurant in April 2011. Although its small in size it has a great energy. The owner is very lovely, speaks fluent english and is very knowledgeable. The menu is small but its best to get the set menu that she cooks each day. The plate is large with alot of variety. Organic beer was great too. All food is local produce and organic. We highliy recommend you visit. Its always busy so make sure you get there early in the evening.

Pros: yummy food, large servings, inexpensive
Cons: limited space/tables
beticita
beticita

I was dissapointed!!!

2 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2011

Well, this was my third time in Paris but my first as a vegan. It was hard to find good vegan food along with a good value. The food was good but nothing extraordinary, I consider myself a good cook and this was not a really well thought out cook meal. One of the problem for us was that we had to share the tiny place with two American Californian yuppy girls talking nonsense with an American kid coming from Amsterdam. The place was very small and it didn't allow us to enjoy our meal without knowing all the details about their trips.The cook/owner/waitress was friendly..maybe too much...You can call the owner friendly, or maybe a little odd, she talked too much and took too long to serve everyone. We asked for a little more bread to eat it with a bit of olive oil she served us with our meal and we were asked "why, you already finished your meal...and tomorrow there's no bakeries open"...the place?...well you can call it cute, or whatever some people call it on other reviews..I call it messy!!...you can improve that little place and make it look so much better and take the advantage of the wonderful produce and products that France has to offer along with an excellent location and you have an excellent restaurant!!!. I went after this not so good experience to the Le Potager du Marais and Le Grenier de Notre Dame and what a difference!, same price, more food and so much better (sit in the first floor of the Le Grenier not the second... better atmosphere). It was a very disappointing experience.

Pros: healthy cuisine , good location
Cons: value, portions, atmosphere
Kika
Kika

Great location, food fine but nothing special

3 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2011

Restaurant is welcoming and well situated, woman who owns it is friendly and nice. So that's all fine, but while the food itself was nice it was not especially good value: the 13-euro plate was full of stuff, but most of it was just rice and plain-ish veg, with only a small bit of distinctive hot main course. Mind you, Paris is pricey, so good value is hard to find at the best of times!

Pros: Location, Service
Cons: Value
estefinparis
estefinparis

Mixed feelings

3 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2011

We visited this cute little restaurant in Montmartre with 2 omni friends and it was certainly an entertaining experience. The owner/waitress/cook prepared everything while we were there (actually the kitchen was open so we could see what she was doing) and it was good that we were the first ones to arrive, because service is slow. The food was good, tasty but not very filling at all! Portions are not too big so don't go here if you're feeling very hungry. The owner was definitely a bit peculiar, came to our table mid-lunch to add some ingredients she had forgotten - while we were eating... Still, a good option for a quick lunch when you're strolling through Montmartre.

meagan
meagan

Healthy food prepared fresh

4 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2010

Cute little restaurant tucked away in the Montmartre district. At first glance when you walk in, it seems to have more of a feel of someone's home dining room. Nevertheless, the owner was very welcoming and prepared us a delicious meal in her back kitchen. We had the vegetable soup, then the seitan platter with rice, lentils, salad, beetroot, and mixed veggies. It was very tasty and healthy- exactly what you want after walking around Paris for hours in the snow!

Pros: warm atmosphere, healthy meal, friendly owner
Cons: a bit cluttered for a tiny space
girlwithglasses
girlwithglasses

Charming find in Montmartre

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2010

This is a nice little find after ambling around and climbing the hills of Montmartre. If you are in a hurry, continue on... But! if you have the time to soak up the ambience, check in with the proprietress and sit tight with your patience. We did have to wait outside the door until she was ready, but it was well worth it. If you are antsy the curvy streets nearby are filled with interesting boutiques to soak up your wait time.

The menu is a bit limited and everything might not be available, but what she prepared was pretty darn fresh. Everything is in season - take note by the farmers market fare all around her kitchen. The seating is tight! but cozy and intimate. The wine list was fantastic and she advises in detail her thoughts and suggestions (she does speak English, and does not make you feel badly if you need her to). She has a great selection of medicinal teas. The seitan and vegetable tart were super yummy. The apple crumble (a must for vegans) was my fave - straight out of the oven hot!

The experience was that of eating a home-cooked meal in your grandmother's kitchen. The decor is eclectic and the postings on the wall clue you in that this is a local spot. So, don't expect fancy, but do expect good clean fresh vegan cuisine in typically relaxed Parisian fashion. Also note there is a tiny bathroom in the back - tiny and "Parisian" in its own right. It did get busy and if you are able to plan-and call-ahead, that is probably best as the proprietress does the serving AND the cooking.

Pros: romantic, near Sacre Coeur, healthy cuisine
Cons: tiny, slow service, pricey
DonnaC
DonnaC

Cosy friendly restaurant

3 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

Cosy restaurant, feels like being in a living room. Very friendly and helpful owner. It isn't a la carte but its tasty hearty food and definitely worth a visit.

beitme
beitme

Nice little place to grab a small meal

3 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2010

I went here a couple times. First time I ordered a full plate, second time the soup. The portion of the plate was rather small and the food was mediocre; for the price, I didn't find it worthwhile. The soup was a better deal, much less in price, tasty, and a nice filler-upper for lunch. The lady I met working there was nice. The place is cute. If your in Montmarte and your vegetarian, I suggest this as a possible stop for a light meal.

Pros: cute place, healthy food
Cons: pricey, tiny location, small portions
hack_man
hack_man

Romantic Little Setting

3 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2009

In the heart of Montmartre a few blocks away from the Sacre Couer this is the perfect setting for a cosy night out. Generally, the restaurant is run single handedly by a very pleasant lady who prepares all food in the small kitchen at the rear. In some ways it's like being in her dining room. There is a homely setting with lots of nice touches decorating the walls and shelves. Outdoor seating can also be arranged on a warm night. The food is good and consists mainly of pulses, salads and goulashes all served together on a large plate for 12 EUR. There is also vegan dessert and a choice of starters. Wine is very reasonably priced. We got there at about 21:15 stayed until 23:45 and were made to feel extremely welcome. It is advised to arrive at 21:30 - 22:00 at the latest in order to appreciate the experience.

Pros: setting, staff, wine
Cons: limited food choice, very small
piffelina
piffelina

a disappointment

2 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

i wanted to like this place, but i'm sad to say that i agree with vegfriend. i think this place is very overrated.

it was salad at its most boring. rice was too salty, lentils were boring. the rest was just sliced cabbage and carrots. i ordered the salad with hummus, and i only got very little, and it was kept in a box in the fridge so when served it was too cool. the seitan my boyfriend ordered tasted of nothing. we left feeling hungry.

skip this place and go to saveurs vegetHalles instead!

Pros: OVERRATED, not worth the price, bland food
Cons: english-speaking
azna
azna

A big dissapointment

2 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2009

I was kind of dissapointed by this place. The owner (who seems to be the only one working there) was nice, and the interior is homy and comfortable. It's a small menu, with only three or four main courses, and some salads. However, the size of the dish was minimal, and we left there hungry. We also had to wait for ages, first for getting our food, and then for getting the check. After waiting for 15 minuter without getting the check, we left (leaving money on the table). The food was okay, but I could easily have cooked something tastier (and with other spices than herbal salt) at home, much cheeper.

Tom Corden
Tom Corden

Pleasant vegetarian restaurant!

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2009

Went here after I decided to actually bother looking up some places to eat in Paris rather than just eating in obvious places. It's very small with about 5 tables and the owner is the sole worker, so book in advance and expect a wait for food (I feel a little hypocritical though as I didn't book, but got a table and was served pretty fast). As for the food it was mostly grains, pulses and salady type stuff at generally the same price as most restaurants (about 12 euros per person). Overall the food was excellent and the atmosphere was nice, however a couple of issues, one was the price of drinks, my girlfriend ordered a lemonade and said it was the best she'd ever had, but at 2.50 euros for a teeny tiny glass I have to disagree, the other was the woman serving who initially came across as quite rude and snappy. Don't let these put you off though, this place is worth a try if you like that sort of food.

Dilettante
Dilettante

Yummy

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2009

I went here a while ago, stumbling upon it by accident. The place is tiny and has only one woman who makes all the food and serves it - so it took a while; but if you like Greek type food (we had mezzas)and are in no hurry in the afternoon, it is a great little lunch place. She was very nice as well.

Pros: Good food, friendly, near Sacre Coeur
Cons: Slow, tiny
skybirdie
skybirdie

Lovely little place - unique!

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2009

The mad waitress was very friendly, eager and welcoming, and we worked out she was english after a few minutes. Only about ten seats in the whole place so if you are keen to eat here a booking is advisable. The cafe has a quaint ambience quite unlike anywhere I've been before. It was warm, dim and welcoming. The place is so 'cosy' all the tourists chatted to one another. The waitress seems to do everything by herself, so service, while very personal, is a little slow. But we came here at 8.30pm before a show at 10pm and had plenty of time for two courses. The menu had three dishes on it, all very similar, but they turned out to be huge plates of a bit of everything. Very tasty and filling. The puddings were all homemade, very sweet and delicious. A place I highly recommend, as much for the experience as for the tasty food.

Pros: friendly staff, healthy cuisine, generous portions
Cons: a little slow, small dining area
irlandaise
irlandaise

Great place!

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

This is a wonderful little restaurant run by a very friendly french-speaking British woman who seems to do everything herself! My husband and I each had a huge platter of food for a reasonable price and everything was delicious!

Pros: Delicious!, Very friendly, All-veg
Cons: Smallish
gisaster25
gisaster25

Ho-hum veg fare

3 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2008

I ate here a number of times in 2002 and 2003, and again most recently in Dec 2006. They specialize in large platters of grains and legumes (e.g. quinoa and lentils), which are typically quite bland if healthy and assuredly vegetarian. On my last visit, my partner and I each ordered a platter but later learned that we could've ordered one platter to share, which would've been an ample lunch for two and saved us about 12 EUR if I recall correctly. It's a cozy spot and I always enjoyed watching my food being prepared in the tiny kitchen in the back. Service is molasses-slow but that's part of the charm of the place. Nevertheless I've resolved not to eat there again (unless I'm stranded in Montmartre and extremely famished; I can't be tempted by stale street sandwiches and Nutella crepes). A side note: It was this restaurant that first made me aware that vegetarianism in France is seen as a lifestyle, not just a dietary preference (as in North America and the UK). In 2002 Au Grain de Folie was chock full of pamphlets for reiki healing workshops and yoga retreats...

Pros: Assuredly vegetarian, Convenient if you're in Montmartre, Cozy
Cons: Bland food, A bit overpriced
bexana
bexana

Feel Right At Home In The Heart Of Paris

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2008

It was our second visit to this cute little place. More like someone's front room, than a restaurant, which makes it all the more enjoyable for a chilled out evening with a friend or lover. Our first visit some years ago lasted 3 hours - not out of choice, but because that's how long it took us to be served our main course. However, our recent visit was the complete opposite. Yes, again we were there 3 hours, but more because we were enjoying whiling away the evening hours chatting with the lovely Helen who not only carefully prepares the meals during the summertime. The relaxed atmosphere in the place also means you're likely to feel like chatting to the equally happy fellow diners. The difference in service this time around is simply accredited to the difference in the waitress-cum-cook, Helen. The owner who had served us on our first visit was (to our relief) not in the kitchen that night! The service was so much fun, charming and thoughtful. Helen had run out of apple and pear crumble and offered to make 4 of us one each from scratch - taking a total of 25 mins to the table! It was well worth the wait! Check out this place when you go to Paris. We'll be back. Bisous and thanks Au Grain de Folie! xx

missmai27
missmai27

sweet but...

3 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2008

fab location, really sweet place... but, its soooooo slow. the girl running was great but we were there for close to 3 hours ( 2 courses) as she was taking care of the 3 tables and the kitchen herself. Food was good, though not amazing...
I'd go back, but have a snack beforehand to keep the churning stomach in check ; )

Pros: location, atmosphere
Cons: slow

Loved this little place

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2008

The girl who runs this place is absolutely delightful. She'll mess with you a little, so just mess with her in return and you'll get along great. Food was perfect. And it's small enough that we got to know all the others eating there that night. It was our favorite restaurant experience in Paris. Unique, delicious, and so happy we stumbled upon it.

astralgirly
astralgirly

I love this place!

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2008

Every time I go here, I walk away saying, "I love this place," to myself! It is a very cozy little place where you feel like you are in a home. There are always 2 choices. Everything is fresh and friendly, and full of flavor! Reasonably priced and healthy too! A definite must for vegetarians and vegans!
I take my non-vegetarian friends and they seem to like it too! But you will need to make a reservation! Otherwise you probably won't get in!

Pros: Healthy & Fresh cuisine, Quiet and cozy, Good value
Cons: Reservation needed, A little out of the way
jkbartol
jkbartol

charming little place

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2008

For veg-heads in Paris, it's pretty much a must. I went there on a date and the place is so small and cozy that she had no choice but to get intimate and fall in love with me. We had an awesome time, the food was good, it's modest, it didn't bankrupt us. There was a local family there when we were there so it didn't feel touristy either. (Also, I think we had the same server as one of the previous reviews because she was hilarious and fun too. She was worried about coming to America because she is afraid of getting shot at, but we assured her that if she stays out of the south she should be OK)

suzie-q
suzie-q

Cute

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2008

I visited this restaurant in the summer for lunch and had the vegan option. The food was delicious and the plate was huge! It was so nice to have a healthy filling vegan meal that didn't cost 50 euros in Paris, as anyone who has been to Paris knows...it's not very vegan friendly and it's pretty expensive.

Pros: good food, huge portions, decent price
Cons: 2 options
vegfriend
vegfriend

• non-vegetarian

A huge disappointment

2 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2008

I visited this place on a Sunday with my veggie/non-dairy friend and her non veggie partner, with high hopes that we would all have an enjoyable meal. The four 'main courses' on the menu were really just one but with a variation of the stuff in the middle - as there were three of us so we tried a fair sample - tasteless setien, bland veg. pate with pumpkin tart (rock hard pastry) and goats cheese, again virtually tasteless. The pate and cheese were presented on a tiny slice of stale bread/toast. Each of the three options were surrounded by: grated carrot and cabbage soaked in vinegar, raw red cabbage, plain burnt lentils, cooked onion and non-descript rice. One of my (non veg) friends asked for chilli sauce and was told that the idea was to appreciate the flavour of the vegetables - hhmm! Service was so slow - each table had their order taken and prepared, served, before the next table was dealt with - not worth the wait. The food was bland and unimaginative and not even filling. Wine was nice but we didn't bother waiting for dessert.

Pros: friendly proprietor
Cons: grubby and dark space, bland food, poor choice
anne
anne

good

4 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2008

We had a good vegan meal here, 2 choices of menu, one with a vegan tart the other with seitan. Lovely fruit crumble to finish with. Owner does it all with no help so service IS slow but if you go there knowing that then you can relax and enjoy the wine. Veggies are also organics. For vegans in Paris I'd recommend it, cost was 40 euro including glass of wine and juice.

Pros: tasty food, home cooked
Cons: slow service

so-so

2 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2007

VERY small place with an old fashioned French country-inn feeling on a cute side street. dinner menu only offered 2 choices at 14 euros each (about $20 U.S. at July 2007 exchange rates). Food was not bad but nothing to get excited about; a bit on the small side for the price.

Owner/waitress/cook is stereotypical French - not overly friendly at first in an outward way, but pleasant. If you are freaked out by animals in the kitchen beware - she has a very cute and friendly dog that splits its time between the kitchen and visiting every dining table!

Pros: quaint atmosphere
Cons: dog in the kitchen
mshah1025
mshah1025

Cute place, very good service, food is fresh

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2007

A cute, homely, little place in Montmartre (18e). The waitress/cook is very friendly (and speaks English); she makes all of her food herself right after you order. The menu options are limited, and the food may be a bit bland to those used to Indian vegetarian cooking. However, the food is very fresh and unhurried. It's a great experience, but you may need to be prepared for it. I'm not sure how often the menus change, but I will try it again.

Pros: Good service, freshly made meals, good location
Cons: Limited menu, a bit bland
Serendipity
Serendipity

Quaint, charming, homely - an experience!

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2006

Finding the restaurant was a bit of an adventure: along the way we experienced a diverse cultural side of Paris that is not French, cobbled alleyways, steep uphill roads, and of course the stunning Sacre Coeur. The restaurant itself is cosy and quaint, with an open plan kitchen, bags of dried herbs hanging off hooks near the tables, garlic on the walls, and all sorts of other stuff lying around - almost reminiscent of a nutty hippy hangout! As for the meal, while not quite gourmet, it was freshly prepared - including our orange juice - by a lovely chatty young French/ English (thankfully!) waitress, and was tasty and healthy. In a nutshell, if you want a homely experience and don't mind rickety chairs, small spaces, and a bit of clutter, then you will love it. Oh, and you have to use the toilet while you're there -it's quite something!

Pros: Friendly and welcoming, Tasty, healthy food, Something different
Poundie
Poundie

Strange; but nice

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2006

We arrived at lunchtime, and were the only ones in the restaurant. The tables were filled with bags of organic food--it seems that this place functions mostly as a organic food delivery or take out place. In any case, we squeezed into a table in a corner. The menu was hard ot understand, but the waiter (who also was the cook and manager) was friendly; we had the one vegan meal on the menu. The waiter/cook/manager cooked our dishes at the other side of the room as our eyes teared from the peeled onions; she was out of deserts and had only a small selection of drinks in her fridge. On the whole, it was more like eating at someone's house that going to a restaurant. Nonetheless, the food was good and healthy, and the experience was one to write home about.

Pros: excellent food, healthy, friendly staff
Cons: not set up as restaurant, very camped

Dear Owner and Manager of Au Grain de Folie: