Serves meat, veg options available. This cafe, is on the top floor of a five-storey antiques and interiors shop. The style is very country-kitchen'ish with lots of natural light blasting in through the many large windows giving it a feeling of comfort and warmth. They cater to vegan and gluten/wheat free lifestyles. They use fair trade coffee and seasonal as much as possible. In addition to the regular menu, there is a menu board that changes every week. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Non-veg
134 High St
Berkhamsted, England HP4 3AT
01442-878713

Open Mon-Tues,Thur-Fri 9.30am-4.30pm, Sat 9.30am-5pm, Sun 11am-4:30pm, closed Wed.

• Cash only

First Review by Jo Kay
Jo Kay
Jo Kay

Unexpectedly Veganly Yum!

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2010

This delightful café is on the top floor of a 5-storey antiques & interiors shop in the pretty market town of Berkhamsted.
I can't tell from the website if there is a lift so it might not be suitable if you find stairs difficult.

The Attic Café is not vegetarian but caters for dietary requirements including vegan and gluten/wheat free. They use organic, fair trade, free range and seasonal as much as possible.

After visiting previously a number of years ago I was expecting to enjoy a baked potato and nothing more...but much to my surprise there were several vegan dishes on the menu board that were colourful and creative, leading me to choose the Sweet potato and Vegetable burger in a wholemeal seeded bun with avocado, alfala and relish. It was beautifully presented and extremely tasty.

There are 2 menus for this quaint little cafe, the first is the printed one that remains the same with a vast selection of vegetarian options including:
All day breakfasts, deep filled sandwiches, quiche, soup, and jkt potatoes which would cost between £4- £8
Then there is a menu board that changes every week I think, and around 2 or 3 of the 7 or so items are vegetarian/vegan, possibly more. There are dishes such as Sweet Potato Curry, Avocado broad bean and quinoa salad, Sundried tomato and Olive Houmous with Greek Salad and wholemeal pitta. Main meals tend to be around the £8.50 mark, but not necessarily.

Several of the staff are vegan so they have influenced the menu a great deal with vegan options daily and occasionally vegan cake! The staff are so helpful and I'm sure that a lot of the veggie dishes could be veganised too.

The burger I had really was lovely but I'm not entirely sure it was worth the £8.50'ish that it cost, although if the ingredients were organic then it eases my uncertainty a little. Perhaps a few handcut chips on the side would've made me feel a little better about the price, but saying that it absolutely wouldn't prevent me from eating there again.
I'm a firm believer in quality not quantity and I'm more than happy to pay a little extra for the ambience.
I will certainly be visiting the café in the near future.

Pros: daily vegan options, lovely staff, great ambience
Cons: some dishes a little bit pricey, don't always have vegan cake

Dear Owner and Manager of Attic Cafe: