Astroburger

Serves meat, veg options available. Burgers and fries, and Greek food in an American diner setting. Has a separate vegetarian menu offering burgers with Gardenburger brand soy protein patty, vegan ribs, soy cheese, and non-dairy milk options. Fresh orange and apple juice available. Veg food is cooked on separate grills and woks. Has drive-thru. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Greek, Juice bar, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
5601 Melrose Ave (Gower)
Hollywood, California 90038
323-469-1924

Open Mon-Thur 7am-1am, Fri-Sun 9am-12am.

• Cash only

First Review by christopher byron
Chia
Chia

I tried Astroburger

3 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2013

I had read about this place on happycow, and came her for lunch once. Here's my Astroburger review.

It's quite a sight from the outside. A burger joint with a huge blue star sign sticking straight up in the air 2 stories high. You can miss it. On Melrose Ave just east of Larchmont Blvd but not in the trendy shopping area.

Astroburger's attempt to provide an alternative to meat burgers is noteworthy and deserves praise, but the food is ultimately conventional American burger joint kind of food.

The vegetarian offerings are prominently displayed on the menu and on signs by the order counter. On the day I went, the special-of-the-day were both veggie based.

The vegetarian items are plenty with several ones marked as vegan. The primarily feature is the Gardenburger brand patty. I ordered the flame grilled gardenburger (marked vegan) with a side of french fries.

The fries were piping hot and tasty.

The burger, however, was blah. I'm used to making fancy veggie burgers at home or eating them at pure veg establishments, so to get a brown TVP patty (textured soy/vegetable protein) gave me a blah feeling. TVP is not so easy to digest, either. However, to give credit, the patty had a decent savory flavor.

Vegan mayonaise is available for extra 70 cents. If you don't order that, then your burger will come dry: wheat buns, iceburg lettuce, tomato slice, TVP patty.

The food is cheap and fast. The interior has a old school diner feel. There's even a drive-thru! And you can get a fresh squeeze apple or orange juice. So not too bad.

Pros: offers alternative to meat, hot fries
Cons: Non-organic
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

quick meal

3 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2011

We finally ate at Astroburger as we needed to have a quick meal in the area. The vegetarian menu is fairly extensive, but the vegan items are far fewer. The menu board notes which items are vegan. We had the flame grilled burger and the chik'n burger as well as a side of chili fries. You could make the burgers at home, so nothing special. The chili on the fries was bean and lentil based, so something different. Overall, I wouldn't go out of my way, but it's convenient and quick if you're in the neighborhood.

Pros: quick service
Cons: limited vegan menu
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Good for vegetarians

3 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2011

This review is based on two visits about 4-5 years ago, when I was vegetarian. I always remembered their veggie ham sandwich, it was so good that I made a return visit during my one week vacation. I'm not sure that this sandwich is vegan (I doubt it is), but it may be worth a phone call to find out. Overall, I'd say this is more of a gritty, but good, fast food place. Definitely check this place out if you're vegetarian or traveling with a non-veg friend so that both of you can get what you want.

Cons: Possible cross-contamination
ghaider
ghaider

Love their veggie burgers!

4 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2010

This is a favorite spot when I find myself in LA late at night. They're open pretty late, and the veggie burgers are great! I'm not so much a fan of the their veggie dogs, but my daughter loves them, so it could be just me. Their fries and onion rings are really good, too.

Pros: great veggie bugers, great fries, cheap
christopher byron
christopher byron

i love it

3 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2009

its so great that astro burger has a vegetarian menu. the food is great, its cheap and its quick. Great place to go for a quick bite

Pros: fast, delicious
Cons: serves meat, only takes cash

Dear Owner and Manager of Astroburger: