Serves meat, veg options available. Offers tofu and mockmeat options. Price: Moderate more-less
Chinese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Bohemianwife
lovemrthornton
lovemrthornton

Good food, but equal & cheaper options nearby

3 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2014

We like the atmosphere at Asian Wind, and the food is very delicious, but we've found that portions are small. We live nearby and prefer Peking Bistro, which is in Beaumont Centre and has equally good vegetarian offerings for less money.

If you need a quiet place to sit and have a relaxing meal, go for Asian Wind ... but if you're just looking to bring a meal home, their competitor 5 minutes away has great food for a cheaper price. (I'm all about the money, in addition to the menu choices. :-)

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Lots of options, good food

3 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

Restaurant serves meat, but you can request a vegetarian menu, which has mock-meat versions of many of the items on their menu.

We asked a few questions, to see how much we were willing to trust the 'veganness' of the menu, but they seemed pretty legit.

The food was good and flavorful - nothing unique or overly-amazing, but it was good and not expensive, so that meets the criteria of a good meal.

If you're in the area, this place is worth visiting for their General Tso's.

Pros: Knowledgeable staff, Lots of vegan options
Cons: Serves meat
Liorah
Liorah

Great Food

4 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

This is a place that my mother and I both can eat at. She is an omnivore and lover of Chinese food, so, when we travel to Lexington together, we always eat here. The food is delicious, and the waitors are friendly and helpful. The one thing to be careful of is their Vegetable Soup. They have tried a couple of times to give me the Wonton Soup without the Wonton. It's just simply a miscommunication though.

xsamx
xsamx

Lexington's jewel

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2010

My girl and I make it a point to go here every time we're in Lexington - the kwabeef and kwachik are excellent, especially in the breaded/fried varieties (like the general tso's or orange chicken). They have some other interesting versions like 'grilled chicken' and tasty vegan appetizers. If you are looking for vegan food in Lexington, this is the place.

Pros: great mock meat, vegan-friendly, tasty
Cons: out of the way
keillorandel
keillorandel

Fake Meat a Plenty

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2009

If you are one of those who longs for a specific meat dish from your carnivore past then this is the place for you! They make every staple of chinese cuisine with a fake beef or chicken substitute. The food is very good and you will be dazzled by the options. The place is in a strip mall, but it tries to be charming. It has a little pond inside.

Pros: tons of options
Cons: strip mall
fatadam
fatadam

VEGANS BEWARE!!!.

1 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2008

I used to live in Lexington. All of my friends ate here like it was the best thing in the world. I have tried most of their mock meat dishes, and they are OK, OK if you like the same type of fake meat thrown in a different sauce served with cheap rice for $10+!

Needless to say I didn't spend my money there for a long time. One day my girlfriend, vegan too, wanted to go on her birthday, so I gave in. I ordered some fake chicken dish, and she ordered vegan mongolian quabeef. We were on the back of the menu (vegetarian section) and pointed to it when she said mongolian quabeef. We asked to make sure it would be vegan. We were assured that both dishes would be vegan.

Got our food and started eating. Instantly saw what looked like egg in our rice. Called the waitress over, she said oh yea thats egg! Remained calm and asked for rice without egg. Got a new, non egg'y, plate of rice. I tried a piece of her 'quabeef', she tried a piece of my chicken. About half way into our meal, she says "This taste like real meat.." not noticing before by taking each bite with rice and veggies. I said nooo couldn't be. She bit a piece in half and OUT COMES THE BLOOD onto her fingers. She started crying on the spot. I called the waitress over and said hey this isn't vegan, you f*cked her order up and fed her real meat! The manager came over to apologize, APOLOGIZING TO ME FOR GIVING ME NON VEGAN FAKE CHICKEN WITH EGG'S IN IT!!! I had to explain to them that we were assured both would be vegan, up until that point I THOUGHT mine was vegan, and the original problem was they gave my guest REAL BEEF.

The waitress started making up excuses, saying that no no we ordered regular mongolian beef.. She started looking through the menu trying to find where we showed her we wanted regular beef. I snatched it from her, flipped it over to the veggy menu, and instantly pointed at the mongolian quabeef which we ordered.

Left without paying and spent the rest of the day throwing up, trying to comfort my girlfriend who cried randomly for the next 3 or 4 days because "they fed me beef".

Onto the quachick chicken. They try to say some of it is vegan, and you have to ask. It all looks the same. If you look up quachick on the internet, you find ingredient lists for that product. I'm am fairly convinced there is no vegan quachick and that restaurant, or any for that matter. Don't expect an honest/consistent answer.

VEGANS BEWARE!!! NON TRUSTWORTHY CONVENTIONAL CHINESE RESTAURANT. Save your money

Cons: real meat, non vegan fake meat, real expensive
novastarlet
novastarlet

Best Chinese in Town!

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2008

They have an extensive vegetarian menu and the service is great. Vegetable soup is a great starter. Try the Sesame kwachik for an entre.

Best time to go is an early dinner on Sunday when the place is quiet. It can really fill up during peak hours.

Pros: tons of vegetarian options, doting staff, pleasant ambiance
dmlones
dmlones

One of the Best

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2007

Possibly the best Chinese/Pan-Asian restaurant I have ever eaten at. A veggie's dream as Asian Wind offers numerous delicious dishes with their signature soy and gluten based kwachic and kwabeef. Beyond catering to veggie's, the food is prepared with a flair for fresh, crisp, and, if you like, spicy! The ambiance is also very pleasant.

Pros: Fresh, Kwachic!, Spicy
Cons: Too far from my house, Too far from downtown
Guest
Guest

Asian Winner

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2007

Although located on the outskirts of town, Asian Wind is one of our favorites. It offers a variety of very tasty Chinese veg*n dishes (kwa-chik is vegan; kwa-bif contains eggs). The lunch menu is a bargain and its dishes are equal in quality to the dinner menu dishes. The staff is friendly, and the service is speedy. A great place to go with mixed-diet company. If you run out of things to talk about, listen to the tweeting bird soundtrack emanating from the walls.

Bohemianwife
Bohemianwife

Favorite place to go!

4 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2007

I love this place because they have their own fake chicken and fake beef call kwachik and kawabif. Sesame kwachik is the best but has honey. I would eat here often but it is expensive. The staff is really nice and there are alot of veggies who eat here. Give it a chance, its so worth it.

Pros: kwachik, service, choices
Cons: expensive, weird decorations

Dear Owner and Manager of Asian Wind: