Asian Grill

Serves meat, veg options available. Chinese restaurant with a separate menu for vegetarians featuring mock meats and veggies - ask if the mock meats contain whey or not. Price: Moderate more-less
Chinese, Pan Asian, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by nycvegan
Saramste
Saramste

Good Customer Service

3 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

My family and I were looking for a restaurant last night that would meet our vegan needs for the evening. Typically, we go into DC, or closer to the DC area, in order to find restaurants that can accommodate our diets. I found this restaurant in Springfield after a quick Happy Cow search. :-) I was a bit skeptical, as there were only 3 reviews (one of them was terrible), and they were all at least 2 years old. I called in advance, as I typically do, because unfortunately, I've found myself in numerous situations where the restaurants either no longer exist, or no longer offer vegetarian food options. The first individual I spoke to had a very heavy accent, and was unsure of what vegetarian was. She handed the phone off, and the second person I spoke to was very helpful. She explained that they did still have vegan options on a separate menu. When we arrived, I immediately asked for the vegetarian menu, and the server directed me towards the owner, Darrin. I explained to him my specific dietary needs, and he said that he would be back to personally take our order to ensure that our needs were met. We asked about the best options on the menu, and he told us that if we trusted him, he'd bring out 3 of his favorite vegan dishes. For appetizers, we ordered spring rolls (which I was not particularly impressed with), and the lettuce wraps. For our main dishes we had the General Tso Vegan Chicken, Black Pepper Vegan Beef, and the Lemon Pepper Tofu (the tofu was not listed on the menu, but Darrin suggested it). Our favorite by far was the General Tso Vegan Chicken, but the Vegan Beef was not bad either. Neither of the appetizers were amazing. Additionally, this appeared to be an average restaurant, but we paid above average prices. The Lettuce Wraps (2 small wraps) were 8.95, the Vegan Chicken was 14.95, and the Vegan Beef was 15.95. In total, for 4 spring rolls, 1 order of lettuce wraps, and the entrees described above, we paid about $62. In this area, with the amount of restaurants that do have vegan options available, it's a bit unusual to pay those type of prices . . . especially considering the fact that this was not *that* type of place. All things considered, the food was fairly good, the customer service far exceed my expectations, and we will definitely be back! **As for the rating, I would give it somewhere between fair and very good (for example: Good), but as I'm limited to a 3 or 4, I'll have to give it a 3**

Pros: Customer Service, Vegan Options, Variety
Cons: Pricey
Cristie
Cristie

Beware of meat in veggie food!

3 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2010

We looked up this place on Happy Cow driving through from Orlando FL. We started off with spring rolls and mine had CHICKEN in it! They weren't very apologetic. Our main dishes were ok, but service was horrible. Had to wait for check and water refills. And as far as a seperate veggie menu, in consisted of spring and summer rolls and 2 other dishes, one of which you could get fake chicken several ways. I would go there again but only under extreme caution and it nothing else was open.

Pros: Candles on tables, Veg options
Cons: Real meat in food, Horrible service, No respect for vegetarians
xfinalconflictx
xfinalconflictx

• non-vegetarian

Good times !!

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2009

After reading the only other review on here for this place,myself and good friend Erica went to the Asian Grill as we were going to see LIFE OF AGONY the next block down and wanted to get some dinner before hand. First, as far as the vegan/vegetarian menu goes, you MUST ask for it. It is not provided with the regular menu. Service was a little slow at first, but once they did take our order, the service was really good. We got an appetizer, garden rolls I believe with a peanut sauce.Very good,very tasty. For Entrees, Erica got the vegan chicken with mixed vegetables, I opted for the vegan beef Gen.Tso style. Both were excellent on every level!! Erica had one small issue with hers feeling that it was maybe a little saltier than she would like. Mine was very good, and I tried Ericas as well and it was also very very good. We did not get a dessert course, but was offered a vegan apple dessert which we declined.We did see someone with some fried bananas that looked and smelled great. The waitress was always quick with filling up the water glasses and overall it was a great experience and we definitely plan on returning in a few weeks.

Pros: great taste, good service, friendly
Cons: a little pricey
nycvegan
nycvegan

A happy surprise on a great day

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2009

We came here after the inauguration; we found the place from here, but there were no reviews.

The owner, Darrin Ho, personally helped us and is charming man. Although we didn't order it, he gave us a plate of Braised Broccoli which turned out to be the best broccoli we've ever had. It was lightly braised with oil (not greasy) with chili peppers and garlic.
The restaurant has a separate and small vegetarian menu, prepared with care by Darrin in collaboration with a local vegan. He was so proud of this that he brought out a couple of newspaper articles about the menu to share with us. We tried some mock chicken which was very good, the spring rolls were great (again, not greasy) and the staff could not have been friendlier.

We highly recommend the restaurant if you are in the Springfield area, just outside of DC.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, wonderful owner
Cons: not vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of Asian Grill: