Asian Bistro

Serves meat, veg options available. All of the VEGE imitation meats and fish are made from vegetable products; Pork is made of gluten, Chicken is made of soybean protein, Duck is made of layers of tofu skin, All dishes are cooked in pure vegetable oil. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Thai, Non-veg

First Review by khb
DC Vegan
DC Vegan

Meh--not worth the trip

2 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2010

I recently went to Asian Bistro after over a year of not visiting after experiencing rude service. I wasn't crazy about the food anyway. Sadly, Asian Bistro has not much improved. I don't know what mock meats they use, but I have never been able to really get into them, and anyone who knows me knows I love my analogues. So this time I tried a tofu dish.

It's a good thing I was eating with a fork and knife, as the tofu pieces were HUGE. There were some vegetables here and there, but it was all about the tofu. I also love tofu as much as the next gal, but really, this was too much. The sauce was also, well, funny. I can't explain it, but I just didn't like the brown sauce they used.

One thing I do absolutely love here, the only thing I find consistently good, is the veggie lettuce wraps. But it's not worth a trip up to Silver Spring.

Pros: near Metro, veg options, really good lettuce wraps
Cons: not so good food, okay service
orchid53
orchid53

awful

1 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2009

I ate here a few times and felt a little ill afterwards on occasion, except when I only got sushi (the sushi is not so great), but kept wanting to like it because of its convenience. The food is mediocre. one time, though, i'm sure their fake meat gave me something serious as it was all I had that day. Will never go back.

Pros: none
khb
khb

Not too bad, but not the best in the area

3 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2008

The veggie chicken and veggie beef are both a little textureless and mushy for my taste, and they're both served in enormous pieces that are not at all easy to eat, especially with chopsticks. You can get much better food for the same price or less at the Vegetable Garden, Yuan Fu, or Harmony Cafe. However, since Silver Spring is most convenient to my house, I will likely come here again. Portions are huge, so if you plan on leftovers, it's a pretty good deal.

Pros: lots of veggie choices, huge portions
Cons: not the greatest mock meats, so many better options in the area

Dear Owner and Manager of Asian Bistro: