Serves meat, veg options available. AS220's Foo(d) works with 44 local farmers and vendors. Provides positions for youth involved in the Broad Street Studio program and/or the RI Training School's culinary arts program. All profits go to supporting AS220's unjuried, uncensored, all ages gallery spaces, performance space and other not-for-profit ventures in the arts. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
115 Empire St (Washington St)
Providence, Rhode Island 02903

sglcklch
sglcklch

No complaints!

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2014

My boyfriend and I came here for dinner and ordered four dishes: arugula salad with heirloom tomato and mozzarella, crispy chickpeas, RKT for me, and a sea food dish for him. Everything was tasty and came in generous portions. The BF even had leftovers for next-day meals. If I had to nitpick, though, I'd say that the chickpeas were actually quite mushy and that the tofu in the RKT was plain and not marinated as advertised. The whole dish was a bit bland and could use more seasoning, but then a few shakes of S&P were good enough as a quick fix. These were just minor issues considering the overall quality and quantity for the $32 total we paid. I also liked their deep support for local farmers and vendors. No complaints really!

Oh, don't forget to check out the specials on the blackboards on the wall next to the register!

Pros: good & inexpensive food, big portions, locally sourced
harrysandy
harrysandy

A lemony experience

3 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

We ordered 9 dishes for the 4 of us (2 teenagers), it was too much food. The small plates weren't as small as we expected.

Grilled tomato and black bean soup with fresh tomatoes and vegan sour cream. This was pretty nice, we would order it again. Flavorful.

Corn succotash, the kids liked this a lot. With some salt, it was interesting. (small plate)

Vegan mac n' cheese with broccoli. At first the cook made us cow cheese mac n' cheese by mistake, but we caught it before trying it, so be sure to make sure what kind you get. The kids liked this pretty well, and I kind of liked it myself--it was tossed with bread crumbs and the broccoli was cooked just right. But I did not detect that much "cheese" in the dish, which maybe is just fine given that vegan cheese really can't be used in the same quantities as cow cheese. (large plate)

Crispy chick peas, highlight of the meal, really interesting and the one dish I thought about trying to make at home. (small plate)

Black bean veggie burger--too lemony and lacked other interesting flavor. Way too soft to stand up to the extremely tough super duty roll that had a diameter 1 1/2 times bigger than the burger (they call it "pillow bread" seemed stronger than a Kaiser roll, our kids, one with a chipped (and repaired) front tooth and the other with braces could not begin to eat this and it was impossible to cut with a knife).

Summer Greens (kale, collard greens, spinach) sautéed in onions and garlic, it lacked salt and interesting taste, maybe it wasn't cooked long enough or had too much lemon, but it wasn't as satisfying as a dish full of greens usually is. (small plate)

Roasted green beans (lemony) with fresh tomatoes. Pretty lemony, beans undercooked and a bit chewy. (small plate)

Roasted Tofu sautéed with shitake mushrroms, bok choy peppers… and rice. Lemony, not much salt. Not really very interesting. (big dish)

Red pepper hummus with pita bread. The pita bread char-broiled nicely, served warm. But the hummus was more lemony than I found appealing. (medium plate)

Pros: Locally sourced, Large portions, even for small plates, Large number of vegan options
Cons: Connected to a performing arts space, Not so kid-friendly, Smoking at outdoor seating
HillaryPerryColey
HillaryPerryColey

Fun Place with Good Food

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2012

They serve good food for a great cause. The barley risotto cakes are very flavorful as well as the grilled cheese. It is also fun to watch them cook.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Friendly staff, Flavorful food
Cons: Small

jgvick
jgvick

Incredible food ...

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2011

I was in Providence with my wife for the Rock n Roll Half Marathon. We arrived around lunch time, and was looking for a place to eat. We stumbbled across this place, and ended up eating there 4 times in 3 days. We had lunch twice and dinner twice. Needless to say, the food was incredible. We had:
1. RTK
2. Sauteed Greens
3. A special called The Scream
4. The Mac and Cheese
5. The Veggie Burger

And a couple of other specials that they had. The Chef's were very helpful, and I am going to attempt to make a couple of the dishes myself.

Pros (I needed to add a few more): Healthy cuisine, huge portions.

Cons: None that I can think of ...

I highly recommend this place ... It is amazing.

Pros: Excellent Food, Great Value, Local Ingredients
kero734
kero734

chickpeas!!!

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2011

loved it! i had the spicy seitan sandwich (so filling!) and shared the crispy chickpeas (only $2) with a friend...the chickpeas were AMAZING. definitely coming back.

Pros: delicious, cheap, friendly staff
Cons: no parking
pisceschic
pisceschic

Yes please

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2010

I had the cajun spiced tofu with sweet potato puree and greens. It was delicious. Soundtrack provided by a seemingly spontaneous group playing Irish folk music. It was fairly busy on a Saturday night, with just a few spots at the counter near the grill, so we got to see our food prepared.

Pros: relaxed atmosphere, inexpensive
Cons: little seating space
freaky fancy
freaky fancy

good stuff

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2010

Ate here a couple of times and I'm really happy that this place exists. It's comfy, cozy, delicious, local, feels healthy...and it's DOWNTOWN...where the vegan pickins are slim!!! I've had both the soups which are delicious...the vegan chicken soup comes with fresh kale and purple carrots and is excellent! The Spicy Portugese sandwich feels a little bit shameful but is a sure-fire hangover cure. The Sweet potato puree is magic and the vegan Mac-n-cheese made me so full that I felt like I had to roll down the street when I was done. The staff all seemed nice and I love knowing that the restaurant is supporting local farmers. There's also a separate bar.

Pros: yummy, food is pretty, good value
Cons: needs more sweets

Dear Owner and Manager of AS220 Food: