Indian food restaurant, became all-vegan in summer 2013. Has sugar-free vegan desserts and drinks and sometimes raw vegan cheesecake; uses organic tofu sweeteners, agave syrup, and coconut sweetener. Weekdays is a la carte menu. Raw food night on Monday. Vegan buffet on Friday nights and all day Saturday & Sunday. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Indian, American, Organic, Raw, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery
2508 W Devon Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60659
773-274-5800
OPEN NOW

Mon 6:30pm-9:30pm, Tue-Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-9:30pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-9:30pm

First Review by Laurie24Sutra
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

All Vegan Indian Food

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2014

It's Indian, AND it's healthy. It's not only all vegan, but the owner is very conscious of health problems with gluten and soy as well. My only issue is that I like very spicy food, and this food is for most Americans - mild.

justathought1988
justathought1988

Delicious food and friendly owner

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2014

The food here was great! Very authentic Indian food in an interesting neighborhood. The owner was very friendly too, she came up and spoke to us for a while and personally delivered some of our dishes. The staff was a bit too friendly though, we sat around and waited for our food when we knew it was ready, but the staff was too caught up talking to another table... Oh well, it was worth the wait, they still get 5 stars.

Pros: great food, friendly people, interesting neighborhood in Chi
Cons: slow service
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Good food

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

I like Arya Bhavan. I can't say that I have ever had a bad meal here, but, with any buffet, it can depend on WHEN you are there. If you are there at the start of the buffet, you are eating great, fresh, tasty Indian food. If you show up while they are trying to replenish, items can be missing and that can be a little frustrating. If you show up at the end of the buffet, as things have baked for a while or as they are trying to keep from having to cook up more food before they shut down, you may get some slim pickings and/or overcooked mush. It's a buffet. That's the way they are. When I order off of the menu, it is always fresh and always tasty. The owner is very active in the restaurant and she is very keen to veganism and will advise you about the items that are not vegan and will watch her wait staff to ensure that they do not accidentally give you something non vegan. Last night, for instance, the waitress asked if I wanted plain naan or garlic naan, since I never get naan, as it usually has milk in it, I thought it would be a great treat to have garlic naan and ordered that. When it came out, it was slathered in either oil or butter, which I would prefer neither, and the owner asked the waitress if she was sure that it was not buttered. The waitress didn't know and went back and checked. It turns out, in this case, it had coconut butter on it. I would prefer not to eat coconut butter, but I also didn't want to waste it.

This place is 99% vegan, but that can be problematic, as you can easily get lulled into just assuming things are vegan and not asking. When you get there, ask up front to be shown which items are not vegan. She'll show you before you are seated.

Pros: Good Food, Very Vegan Friendly, Good Value
Cons: Buffets can sometimes be overcooked , Not 100% vegan, ask

redrunner
redrunner

Absolutely delicious food!

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I got delivery from this place purely by accident, and the food was AMAZING! I found it just by searching for Indian restaurants and went with them because I liked that they clearly label their vegan items on their website's menu. Since then I've discovered that they have all kinds of other vegan-friendly things like a raw buffet Monday nights--I can't wait to go there.

The food was seriously top-notch. Really flavorful. I woke up today actually wanting more of their food for breakfast, but I ate it all last night!

Pros: excellent food, very vegan-friendly
mariec1
mariec1

Delicious Vegan Buffet

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

I finally got to eat at Arya Bhavan after trying several attempts. It was terrific! I usually eat down the street at another "semi" vegetarian restaurant but since I'm vegan, thought my money would be better spent supporting this restaurant. Buffet is Friday dinner, all day Saturday & Sunday. Many items to choose from. The samosas are the best I've ever had! Their staff is friendly and helpful. I can't wait to go back.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Buffet
Cons: No mid-week buffet
tori444
tori444

My favorite Indian restaurant in Chicago

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

I love this place! The food is now all vegan. The buffet was fantastic -- absolutely delicious with many healthy dishes. They use a lot of organic vegetables, use very little oil in the cooking, and offer brown rice (only one other Indian restaurant in Chicago offers brown rice - Bombay Spice Grill). Making such tasty, yet healthy, food without use of a lot of oil, butter, and cream, as most Indian restaurants do, shows how truly talented the chef is. This is now my favorite Indian restaurant in Chicago!

Pros: healthy cuisine, excellent food, good value
Cons: tables are a bit dark
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great Buffet - Lots of Vegan Options! :)

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2009

I came here on a Saturday night and had the choice of buffet or to order off the menu. I chose the buffet because as soon as I walked in I was immediately greeted by Kirti, an amazingly pleasant employee of this establishment, who asked if I was Vegetarian or Vegan right off of the bat. She went through the entire buffet telling me what I (as a Vegan) was able to eat. To my surprise a majority of the things were Vegan. She even told me she'd bring Vegan naan to the table as well as Vegan Indian pancakes. Overall I found the food to be very good. I've been to several Indian buffets in my lifetime and I will say this one at least made their buffet items spicy; although she did say they make the dishes off of the menu even spicier.

I still can't get over how nice everyone was here and how knowledgeable Kirti was regarding the Vegan diet. She even came over later and asked me if I knew of the Vegetarian meet-up group that Vadim runs here (I did know ;)) and mentioned future meet-ups that will occur in the area - how nice! ;)

Overall I thought this place was good all the way around and I will certainly be back!

Guest
Guest

Vegetarian-friendly, but mediocre as Indian food

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2008

I went here while visiting Chicago and thought the owners were very nice. The service is very good and the food is vegetarian- and most vegan-friendly.

However, the food is so-so. If you really like Indian flavors, this is probably not the place to go. There isn't much flavor at all, in fact. I have had quite a bit of Indian food and I had trouble identifying a lot of it because it just didn't taste right. Mind you, it's not bad food. It just isn't great food. If Indian food is generally too spicy for you, you might like this place a lot. But, I like my Indian food to taste like Indian food and this didn't.

I was really hoping this place would be better, but it was just okay, in my opinion.

Pros: Decent variety, Prices are not bad, Friendly service
Cons: The food is mediocre, Lack of flavor
Laurie24Sutra
Laurie24Sutra

Great Vegan Indian Buffetf!

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2008

The owner...whose real name I do not know but who lets you call her Kathy..is great! She always remembers my fiance' & I when we come in and truly makes us feel welcome. She remembers that we are Vegan when we walk in the door, so she always comes directly to the buffet and points out which food items are vegan vs. vegetarian. This restaurant serves no meat whatsoever which is great! Also, Kathy (I'll call her) knows what Vegan means. She knows that we can't have the Naan if it's made with Ghee; she knows we can't have yogurt, etc.. The last time when I ordered coffee she made it with soy milk for me.

If this doesn't convince you..the Chicago Vegan Meetup group had its January 2008 vegan meetup here.

Kathy has told my fiance' and I on more than one occassion that the restaurant is moving in the Vegan direction because it has so many vegan customers.

If I remember correctly, the restaurant has all you can eat buffet on Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night..for around...$10-$12 or so. What a deal!

I have always loved Indian food, but when you're a strict Vegan it can sometimes be difficult to eat at certain restaurants because of the language barrier..it can be difficult to communicate what it means to be a strict Vegan and what you can and cannot eat. It's so relaxing eating here because Kathy knows what Vegan means and is really cool about pointing out which items in the buffet are Vegan-safe.

Oh...and out of the total buffet I would say that about 80% or more of it is Vegan. :-) Laurie

Pros: Great Vegan Buffet, Great Value, Friendly, personable staff
Cons: Parking not always easy around restauant

Dear Owner and Manager of Arya Bhavan: