CLOSED: Artichoke Cafe

Previously a Loving Hut, now reportedly still all vegan with a new name (Aug 2012). Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Asian, Vietnamese, Fast food, Take-out
2700 Miamisburg Centerville Rd (Dayton Mall)
Dayton, Ohio 45459
513-668-7723

Open Mon-Sat 10am-9pm, Sun Noon-6pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Amarand
Flekton
Flekton

Awful Experience

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2012

I am not sure if I hit this place on a day when the employee was feeling particularly careless, or what, but it was literally one of, if not THE, most disgusting meal I have ever been served. I was visiting Dayton from Orlando and was so excited to find a Vegan restaurant in town. I ordered the american panini which was served with some sort of slaw and a side of sweet potato fries. The sandwhich was tasted ok, but was mostly bread and pickles with a single slice of Tofurkey placed amongst the condiments. The "slaw" appeared to be some sort of old and wilted fruit salad. I found a hair in it, and quickly pushed it aside. The fries that were served had been sitting in the oil fryer for an extended period of time. They were cold, greasy, and tough. I ate one and lost my appetite. I brought up the quality of my meal to the employee and I truly feel like she could not have cared less. She simply smirked at me, and said "sorry" in a sarcastic tone. I normally don't take the time to write reviews online, but I was blown away by this experience. No wonder many people think vegan food is gross...

Pros: Vegan, Quick
Cons: Awful Service, Terrible Food, Few Choices on Menu
  • JodyPicagli JodyPicagli

I'm the owner and was very sad by this review. We work hard to make our food with love and tasty
    Vegan food. I can only hope if your ever in town u give US another chance. I would love treat u to another meal. And as for the employee who treated u this way they will be worked with on better customer care.

afhill
afhill

Loving Hut replaced by Artichoke Cafe?

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

I went to the Dayton Mall to try to find the Loving Hut, but there was another vegan place there, the Artichoke Cafe. I initially thought it was the same place, but upon reflection I don't think so. The Loving Hut has been described as a cult elsewhere, whereas this place left a lot to be desired. (Although it doesn't affect the food, the fact they spelled "cuisine" incorrectly on their site bothered me!)

I've become spoiled by Native Foods in my hometown of Boulder, because the menu of appetizers, salads, sandwiches and sides seemed pretty underwhelming. I ordered the salad with their vegan shrimp, to be told they didn't have any shrimp. The cashier also told me they only had to-go containers, and she struggled with how to use the credit card machine.

Salads are pretty basic fare, but I was expecting something a little more impressive than the lettuce, sprouts, cranberries and seeds I received. The sauce was nice and tangy, but the presentation wasn't any better than I'd expect from another place in a food court that didn't focus on veg*n fare.

If you're looking for vegan versions of standard fare, maybe this place would be worth seeking out (they offer a vegan lasagna). But I'll probably just head to a more standard chain (Max and Erma's?) for a salad next time.

Pros: convenient, raises awareness of vegan food!
Cons: poor presentation, underwhelming salad
Stephanie Heckman
Stephanie Heckman

Great for mall food!

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2011

I think that the Loving Hut is a great place to go if you are hanging out in or around the Dayton Mall but I wouldn't recommend driving there just for the food unless you live nearby. It's good food but it's not amazing. The portions are a bit small but the food is very affordable. I've only been there once because I rarely go to the Dayton Mall. I would go to Loving Hut a lot more if they added one at the Greene, The Fairfield Mall, the Oregon District or around Wright State. I don't consider the Dayton Mall to be a desirable location. The vegan lasagna and chocolate chip cookie that I tried there was amazing. However, they run out of a lot of items on the menu pretty quickly. Also, the menu said that you could either a salad or rice as a side for any meal but the man working there told me that I could only get salad because "rice and lasagna would be too many carbs". I felt that he was a bit rude about it and I wanted the rice because the lasagna was such a small serving. However, it was still tasty enough that I would eat there again if I ever feel the need to go to the Dayton Mall or if I visit another city that has a Loving Hut.

Pros: Tasty food, 100% vegan, Very affordable
Cons: Located in Dayton mall, Small Portions , Service wasn't great
Amarand
Amarand

Vegan, Tasty and Reasonably Priced

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2010

Dayton isn't too far of a drive from Columbus, and it was certainly worth the trip! This place had it all: salads to sandwiches, soup to fried goodies. I ordered the coconut "shrimp," which had a really nice texture, the American panini sandwich, a southwestern eggroll and the fried dumplings. There were plenty of healthy choices as well, but sometimes you just have to try what you're in the mood for. A great selection of food, beverages and I even had the last slice of chocolate cake, which was pretty decent. Don't let the fact that this place is in a mall food court - the food is tasty, super-fresh and well worth the trip.

As the restaurant is relatively new, they are looking for feedback, and pictures of people having fun eating their food, so don't forget to snap a shot if you can, and send it to them on their web-site.

I'm not sure if this was a counter-measure to prevent people from taking condiments without making a purchase or just an oversight, but there wasn't any obvious ketchup for my (awesome) sweet potato fries. It diminished the experience ever so slightly. Had the fries not been so fresh, crispy and sweet, I might have missed the ketchup a little more - but I still missed it. Maybe I should have asked? If ketchup is important to you, either ask, or bring your own.

My only wish is that they had one in Columbus!

Pros: Super Tasty, Reasonably Priced, 100% Vegan
Cons: Food Court, Dayton, No Ketchup
  • EveGotch EveGotch

There is a Loving Hutmin colombus and the food there is amazing!! (the staff is very friendly too ;)

Enjoy!!