Serves meat, veg options available. Located on the 2nd floor opposite Hobby Store, this air-conditioned restaurant with view of the shopping streets below advertises a 'vegetarian tourists welcome' sign. Has 4 items on its vegetarian menu, written in both English and Japanese. Vegans specify and staff will assist. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Western, International, Non-veg

Odinson

RIP OFF

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2014

basically serves Costco stuff for over 300 percent value
portions are small service is slow and the owner lurked like a zombie around my table all the time i was there

Pros: if your not starving , and have loads of time , and are fans of cosco foods
Cons: COSTCO , soooooooo sllooooow , to serve heated costco
Berylvt
Berylvt

excellent Egan-friendly service

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2014

Great service. See rate vegan/ veg menu. Two f us had the european lunch set and found the pancakes a bit bland. Two had the Japanese set and really enjoyed it. The men found the servings a little small and we would all have liked more of the mushrooms! We all enjoyed the vegan mud cake though. definitely worth a visit.

Pros: vegan menu. great staff
Cons: small serves, some bland dishes. , limited choices.
ravivasudevan
ravivasudevan

Good food, Friendly staff

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2014

Had a really awesome time at Artcafe ELK while staying in Hiroshima. Their vegan chocolate cake was great and they have a nice vegan set Japanese menu. The price is a little high, but the staff was amazing to make up for it. One night I went there to just get a drink and some cake and I sat with some people trying to work on their English. I had a really fun conversation with people at the bar and the staff and then they ended up paying for my food because I helped them with English. Definitely stop by if you are vegan and support this awesome place.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great taste, Chocolate Cake!
Cons: A bit pricey, Could use some more vegan options

LiaTraballero
LiaTraballero

ELK we'll miss you

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2014

We went to Artcafe ELK twice, the first one we instantly felt we were in the right place, surrounded by a friendly atmosphere. The place was full, so they let us stay at the lunch counter, that was in front of the kitchen. We had the chance to talk all evening long with the owner, the chef and some customers.. We loved it! We felt like in a friend's house.
They have a Vegan/Vegetarian Menu, with multiples options. We tried 3 different things and we liked them all.
We've been traveling around Japan for a month, we've been trying lots of Vegan restaurants and we can tell that it is not easy to find places like this in Japan! If you come by Hiroshima, you must come here (and have Yaki Udon!).

Pros: Friendly atmosphere, Great food (and cake!), Staff speaks english very well
jenchal
jenchal

lovely

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2014

The food was nice, although a bit overpriced (slightly over 1000 yen for a small plate of food), but it was vegetarian and the staff were very careful to ask what I could and could not eat (e.g. dairy). What made the place so great were the staff. They spoke very good English, and let me sit there all afternoon talking to them, and they gave me lots of recommendations of places to go in Japan. The place is easy to find. I will definitely go back if I ever in Hiroshima again!

Pros: lovely staff, English menu, happy to accommodate different diets
Cons: slightly overpriced
necius
necius

Friendliest restaurant I've ever been to

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2014

We arrived at Artcafe ELK very hungry after a long day with little food, to find them closed. However the owner/chef was still inside and opened up just for us. There were no vegan items on the menu, but after saying I was vegan, the owner/chef understood and modified the meal for me. I had vegan panini with a salad, lotus root chips, and mashed potato. It was delicious, and I was overjoyed.

The next day was our last day in Hiroshima, so we decided to go back. This time we sat at the bar and spent the evening talking to the two people working. They both had excellent conversational-level English, and were all round incredibly friendly and helpful people, advising us on various vegan ingredients that can be sourced in Japan. That night I had vegetable stir-fry (not on the menu, but it was delicious), the "vegetarian plate" which was just miscellaneous vegan food items (very nice), and a dessert of green tea flavoured shaved ice with red bean (don't judge it, it was much better than it sounds).

Overall it was a fantastic experience. If I ever go back to Hiroshima I'll be sure to visit again.

Pros: Friendly, helpful staff, Excellent English, Great food
Cons: Limited vegan options on menu
BradenPollock
BradenPollock

friendly service

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2014

The place was nice and the staff very friendly. It also helped that they al spoke English. The portions were small so we each ordered 2 dishes. Much better for vegetarians than vegans. Not many options.

kylaah
kylaah

Vegan relief!

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2014

We spent several days in Hiroshima and were fed up of rice balls and inari, when we stumbled upon Artcafe ELK on our way back from Hiroshima Peace Park. Right at the end of Hondori Shopping St on your way to the park, the big sign 'Vegetarian Tourists Welcome' was a massive relief! The staff spoke perfect English, were incredibly friendly and accommodating, and had a separate vegetarian menu offering a lunch plate, pizza, panini and soup and understood exactly what vegan meant and how to adapt the menu to suit. We ordered the panini no cheese and no original sauce (they added salsa instead) and the pizza with no cheese - and it was delicious! At 700 yen each, it was an incredibly cheap meal too :) We went twice, and would recommend it to any vegans/vegetarians in the area!

Pros: Cheap and delicious, Friendly staff, Relaxed vibe

Dear Owner and Manager of Artcafe ELK: