Restaurant vegetaria, Arco Iris means "rainbow" in Spanish. Offers daily changing 4-course lunchtime only menu. Vegans to specify, and the kitchen will alter a dish for you. Simple rustic decor. Popular with locals. It's next to av Diagonal, nearest metro is Verdaguer exits L4, L5. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Spanish
C/ Roger de Flor 216, Eixample
Barcelona, Spain 08013
Closed now

Mon-Sat 1:00pm-4:00pm

First Review by meatisfordummies
TaylorDovala
TaylorDovala

Great food and great service!

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2014

I went here after visiting Sagrada Familia and had the absolute best meal of my trip at Arco Iris. The four course vegetarian meal was delicious, creative, and fresh. There was plenty of variety in the choices so everyone could get something they wanted. There was a lot of great quality food for the very reasonable (9 euro) price. Additionally, the manager and waitstaff were friendly and made the experience one I won't forget. Our waitress was very sweet and helped me understand what the different dishes were in spite of my poor spanish. The dessert I ordered was not my favorite but since I was so full from the meal I was happy to leave having only a few bites of it. However, the manager noticed I hadn't finished it and while I was at the front paying, he offered me another dessert without me even mentioning not liking the first dessert. Considering every seat in the restaurant was full and he was not personally serving us I was beyond impressed that he noticed this small detail and went out of his way to make sure I was completely happy with the meal. You can't go wrong going here, I'd eat there every day!

Happy Veg Man
Happy Veg Man

Great value.

Posted on 04 / 26 / 2014

Had a very nice fixed price menu here for €9/pp with my wife and children. There is no English spoken, but don't let that scare you. The host showed us all the plates that he was serving so that we could see them before ordering, which was appreciated. He spoke French (which we do), and was able to indicate the vegan options. A nice meal, and my wife left in love with the gentleman host who helped us out.

cxms45
cxms45

Decent

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

The menu price was good at 9 euros, but the offerings were pretty basic for vegans. The soup was little more than broth, my seitan was not great, and the dessert was just plain (albeit tasty) pineapple. My friend did get the vegetarian pizza and it was amazing, but he also wasn't impressed with the rest of his meal. If I had to eat something in the area I'd go there again, but I wouldn't search it out again otherwise.

Pros: price
Cons: boring

irgon
irgon

Perfect lunch spot

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

During our weeklong visit to Barcelona my wife and I ate at Arco Iris twice, and were completely satisfied both times. This is the best lunch spot in Barcelona for clean, tasty, and well-prepared vegetarian or vegan food. The value delivered for 9 euros per person should impress everyone. On our first visit the charming and cheerful owner greeted us warmly in English; on the second, like old friends, as he greets many of the locals who clearly savor eating here.

A salad or soup will begin your meal, followed by a second course with dishes including well-seasoned grains like bulgar or rice and perhaps a bit of tofu. Your third course will be the heartiest. On our second visit I had cannelloni stuffed with spinach and pine nuts and covered in a light cream sauce scented with nutmeg, and my wife had a satisfying vegan "bolognese" of eggplant and several other vegetables. Dessert will be a mousse of coffee or chocolate for vegetarians, perhaps a tart; vegans have a choice of freshly cut ripe pineapple or other fruit. We didn't see vegan baked desserts during our visits, so dessert may be the least satisfying course for vegans. There will be at least two choices for each course, and often three or four.

Service is pleasant, warm and efficient -- the servers take customers' requests a course at a time, and there is ample opportunity to observe others eating each item to help one decide. The space is charming and sunny, with pretty white and blue tiles and paint colored burnt umber.

People eating alone can feel very comfortable here, especially sitting in the open second floor loft with views of the first floor seating area. We saw several people comfortably eating alone and reading next to animated groups of friends.

If you enjoy clean, carefully-prepared, unfussy and tasty vegetarian or vegan food in a charming setting I can't imagine a better lunch spot. I wish my hometown was blessed with a restaurant like this.

Pros: Satisfying, tasty food, Amazing value, Charming setting
heliorodrigues
heliorodrigues

not impressed

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

i been to this place with some friends and thought it was more an alternative place with nice atmosphere but seemed a bit elitist. food is nothing special and staff OK... but i just do not recommend this place ot pretend to go again. much better places in barcelona please dont waste your time and money on this one!

Pros: food was OK
Cons: elitist, strange vibe
ChefeVegan
ChefeVegan

Amazing!!

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2013

For 9€, they offer you 3 first plates plus dessert. As I'm vegan, the chef did offer to adjust one of the dishes. This was the seitan. The food was amazing & the service was even better. If you are in Barcelona, you must visit Arco Iris. I'll be back.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 05, 2013

Pros: service, clean, price
Cons: none
Blueberries
Blueberries

Basic food, friendly atmosphere

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2013

I went to this restaurant on a Saturday afternoon. The room was bright and airy and the staff were friendly despite the place being very busy. There is one set 4-course menu for the day (€10) with three choices for the first three courses and more choices for dessert. The waiter I asked did not know what vegan was but was very nice once I explained (in Spanish, I am not sure if they speak much English)and told me that only the first and second courses were vegan.

So I got a vegetables consumé, spaghetti with pesto (being assured that it had no cheese) and boiled potato and broccoli. A bottle of water and bread for the table were also included in that price. I was told that none of the desserts were vegan. The food was nice, but basic and my potato and broccoli came with no sauce as there was no substitute for the yoghurt sauce that accompanied it. The menu changes every day so perhaps there are more vegan options on other days.

I think if you are in this area of the city and need some filling vegan food this is a good option but there are much better vegan places to try in other parts of the city which offer much more creative food.

Pros: Friendly, busy, good service, Bright, airy, clean, Filling vegan food, many courses
Cons: Little understanding of vegan options, Basic food, not much choice
Ned Harding
Ned Harding

Not bad

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2012

It was OK for vegan, but not great. "Lunch with Locals" is correct - good local flavor.

Niels Van Och
Niels Van Och

Lunch with locals

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

If you want to experience a meal like the locals, this the the place to go!

My girlfriend had a quick lunch here during our trip to the city, and we weren't disappointed. The restaurant has a fixed four course menu, with about three options per course. The dishes were very tasty (with especially nice herbal flavourings) and came in reasonable portions, we definately didn't leave hungry. This might not be the best place for vegans though, because the menu is fixed.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the dishes followed each other very quickly. You could easily have a quick lunch here if you were in a hurry. The meal also included free water and bread, a rarity in Spain. On that note, this place is very, very cheap: the menu was 9 euro for the four courses (and the water and bread), which is incredible value for money.

One more note: being a local place, the menu was only available in Catalan, but the staff was quite helpful in translating the options we couldn't figure out ourselves.

Pros: good, honest food, very cheap, fast service
Cons: menu only in Catalan
kilgore
kilgore

A local restaurant - great food but no vegan main.

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2011

After been told by the "Maitre'D" on the door that vegans were well catered for, our waiter told us that neither main course was vegan. The two vegans in our party decided to stay, and the waiter was more than happy to substitute their mains with a choice from previous courses. Nice selection for vegetarians from the Menu del Dia, and the food, especially the soups, was exceptional for the price.

The restaurant was very busy, mainly with locals, which itself is testament to the quality of fare and value for money - but not having a vegan main loses them one cow I'm afraid.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly service, Quick
Cons: No vegan main course
jellybean
jellybean

Tasty meal!

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

We enjoyed our lunch. A couple items were not vegan but they could tell us what items were not and there were otehr choices. My husband and I ordered different things so we could try more dishes. Everything was good, staff was nice. It was crowded but they were prepared so food was served quickly. They are only opne for a few hours in the afternoon so it's not real convenient. We got there early so looked around the neighborhood before they opened. It's in a nice neighborhood.

Theaudacityofboats
Theaudacityofboats

Yum

Posted on 11 / 04 / 2010

This was our second best meal in Barcelona after mosquito tapas. Agree with everything below - stupendously quick, friendly, sometimes luke warm etc! First two courses - lettuce with Roquefort sauce / consomme, then celery soup / bulgar wheat with tofu and peppers - were average but the mains - lasagne (but actually an open spinach and ricotta tortelloni) and wild mushrooms with garlic - were great (I'd been on the hunt for wild mushrooms all stay) and the chocolate and coffee mousse was the best thing ever.

Pros: Great value, Friendly staff, Great location and setting
Cons: No scope for a lazy lunch - very quick
laceygean
laceygean

Cheap and Fresh

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2010

Great place to eat after doing a walking tour of the Gaudi sights which ends at the Sangra Famillia. Quick - the dishes are pretty much already made you just order the first course eat, order the next, ect. Only complaint is that since its premade stuff they came out kinda luke-warm.
Seems like the kind of place where the menu might change often. 4 course meals. Examples:
1st course: Salad of bean sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, red cabbage, ect. OR a simple vegetable soup OR leeks with a orange sauce
2nd course: Fettuchini with cheese sauce, butternut squash soup, potatoes with green beans
3rd course: cous cous stuffed eggplant, lima beans in mint sauce
4th course - fresh fruit, yogurt with honey or granola

Pros: friendly staff, inexpensive, quick
Cons: food not hot, very little english spoken
meatisfordummies
meatisfordummies

Delicious!

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2009

Best meal in Barcelona. 4 courses for 9 euro. Staff speaks minimal English but very knowledgeable as to the vegan items and very willing to help. friendly. Great Spanish food. seems to have a lot of regulars. owner seemed to know everyone. fun place to eat and a must in Barcelona...3 blocks from Sagrada Familia!

Pros: good food, cheap, friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Arco Iris: