Arbor Brewing Company

Serves meat, veg options available. Black beanburger, tempehburger, and several vegetarian and vegan dishes. Cheese can be omitted. As for tempeh or black bean burger instead of meat. Uses some local, organic, and fair trade ingredients. neotech.net/ABC/index.php?site=brewpub Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
114 E Washington St (Main St)
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
734-213-1393

First Review by midwestmicrobrews
Veggie860
Veggie860

Great vegan pub food

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2014

We stopped by Arbor Brewing company in January for the first time in years. We were happily surprised to find that they now have a 2 page "Vegan Menu" in the Special Diet" section at the back of the menu. We loved that the vegan options were clearly identified. They offer a variety of vegan appetizers, salads, sandwiches,sides and entrees. The beer battered tempeh burger is incredible -- so good that we got one to go, and have come back since for more! We also liked the chili dog (I've never understood why more bars/pubs don't offer vegan hot dogs!), and the tempeh superburger. The boxty sounded great, but was a little overdone the time we tried it. They have great seasonal vegatables too and we will be going back to try more of the entrees when we get a chance. ABC is definitely worth a trip.

Pros: vegan options clearly identified, best vegan pub food in town, nice staff
Cons: some portions small for big appetites
Ren87
Ren87

Increasingly Vegan Friendly

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

Since the last review in 2009 ABC has made leaps and bounds in becoming more vegan friendly. Ask your server for their vegan/gluten free/allergen menu. Offers a full page of vegan options and breaks down ingredients in the allergy section. Servers are always happy to answer questions as well.

In addition to the vegan menu be sure to take a look at their weekly specials which often contain vegetarian, if not vegan, options. I've found wonderful meals such as lentil pot pie and vegan coney dogs on it.

Service can be a little hit or miss as far as speed, but I've never had rude wait staff. If you're going for dinner be sure to get there early or be prepared for a wait, they only take reservations for weekday lunch.

Pros: Great place to take omnivours, Vegan menu available
Cons: No evening/weekend reservations
ryangovegan
ryangovegan

No Vegan Buns

2 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2009

Having read the reviews and checked their menu I was excited to check out ABC. Its a great atmosphere with plenty of room and outside seating for those nice days. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. If only they had vegan buns for the vegetarian items. My very nice and knowledgeable waitress let me know that the buns are not vegan. I was pretty bummed, and ended up getting the portabella salad. My vegetarian dining companion thoroughly enjoyed his burger. If you follow a vegan diet ABC might not be for you, if you are vegetarian or looking for decent vegetarian choices, check it out.

Pros: Beverages, Space, Staff
Cons: Not as vegan friendly
AndrewL
AndrewL

More than "pub food"

4 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2009

Arbor Brewing Company is so much better than it needs to be. As far as local bars are concerned, the food is outstanding -- very local, very veggie-friendly, and very fresh. The menu lists all the items made from scratch, as well as the agricultural source of the restaurant's beef, produce, wheat, etc. The tempeh superburger is great, especially since they allow you to add such toppings as hummus and avocado.

Pros: Good food, good beer, Locally sourced
Cons: Can get a bit noisy, Extended wait times when busy
Gretchen Gehrke
Gretchen Gehrke

Small menu but GREAT food

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2009

The tempeh superburger is fabulous. I haven't tried the black bean burger, but that is next on my list. For the pescatarians, their fish tacos apparently are delicious. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, and service is usually pretty quick (except on busy weekend evenings). The beer isn't my favorite, but they've got a fairly wide selection. The best part of ABC is their commitment to local agriculture and local business. Even their meat dishes are geared towards sustainability -- I believe they use local, grass-fed beef. I wish they would put some salads and bread on their menu though!

Pros: tastes great, local source
Cons: small menu, noisy, smokey
Scott Grenerth
Scott Grenerth

Ohhhh sooooo goooood!!!

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2008

The Arbor Brewing Company pub in downtown Ann Arbor is fantastic. Several vegan options on menu. My wife & I both loved the tempeh burger. They are striving to use as many local ingredients as possible. Amazing beer selection from their brewery. Great service too.

Pros: Great locally produced food, Great beer., Great service.
Cons: Can be loud.
midwestmicrobrews
midwestmicrobrews

Vegetarian food from Vegetarians!

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2008

Arbor Brewing is in one of the nation's greatest cities. Ann Arbor is a city with so many great restaurants, vegetarian and otherwise. Arbor Brewing sets itself apart from the pack by providing some of the best craft beer in Michigan along with their great food.

With a relatively new focus on incorporating local ingredients into their menu, the menu is often changing... but changing for the better. As ABC works to become a more environmentally friendly and sustainable company, diners get to be rewarded with fresher ingredients free of petro-chemical fertilizers, toxic pesticides and additives.

As a beer guy, I can't say enough about ABC. Matt and Rene are brewing some of the most interesting beers around. There always seems to be something new on the beer list. Can't decide? Go for the Sacred Cow IPA. It is beyond great.

Cheers!
Michael

Pros: Great beer, Fresh Ingredients, Awesome Owners
Cons: Wish it was smoke-free
Guest
Guest

Even Vegetarians like Football

4 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2007

This is a brewery in a college town, but with many veggie friendly options, and great home brewed beers. My family met there for my brotheres birthday and everyone had a great meal, and I am the only veg. Another plus was that the non-smoking section is a good distance from the smokers.

Pros: Beer
Cons: High ceilings
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Amelia, your review was very helpful. Sometimes these beerhouses can get pretty smoky, but it sounds like this place isn't too bad.

Dear Owner and Manager of Arbor Brewing Company: