Araya's Place

Thai restaurant originating from Seattle, opened at this location Jan 2014. Offers vegan cuisine with an a la carte menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Thai, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by kenvegan
tina x
tina x

Portion Size is Inconsistent

3 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2014

My friend and I have eaten here a handful of times. The avocado curry is nice. If we could give this place 3.5 stars, we would.

One day we ordered several items to go. We made a request to adjust the ingredients in one dish. They know us there, but maybe our request made the cooks feel pressured. Or maybe it's because the place was crowded at lunch. The adjusted dish was a significantly smaller portion than we had gotten on other occasions. One of the servers was nice, but another person at the register seemed ultra-serious, like we were trying to hassle their cooks. Maybe we should not ask for adjustments again. Paying a moderate price for a dish and then getting less food does not seem fair.

Pros: Nice food
Cons: Crowded parking lot, inconsistent portion sizes
Hungwy
Hungwy

best

5 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

Best vegan Thai food in LA. No comparison. Real Thai food taste, not the standard low quality Thai/burger joint. Caring, friendly staff. Brilliant food. Interesting authentic menu.

DynaMo
DynaMo

Pumpkin curry!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

It's really kabocha squash, and it's swimming in a silky curry that tastes like heaven. Everything here is fresh and real and delicious. The family that runs it are warm and welcoming. The lunch special for just under $10 includes soup, main, spring roll, rice and salad. If you want a tasty treat get the Thai iced tea with coconut milk. It's creamy tea-candy in a glass.

Pros: delicious food, different from the usual
earthville
earthville

One of the best Thai restaurants in greater LA

5 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

We've been to many Thai veg*n places in the LA area, but Araya's Place sets itself apart with exceptionally well prepared, authentic Thai food and excellent service.

Our group ordered five items from the menu, spanning appetizers, curries, noodles, and veggies. Everything we tried had exquisite flavor and great texture.

It's a family-owned restaurant — two sisters and their mom — and all of them were delightful.

We're very happy to have discovered Araya's Place and we'll come again and again.

Highly recommended. Enjoy!

Pros: Authentic vegan Thai cuisine, Great flavor and texture, Excellent service
kenvegan
kenvegan

Lovely Ambience, Wonderful Service, Delicious Food

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

Los Angeles is not short of vegan Thai restaurants. There
were 23 until Araya's Place opened last week.

You might ask yourself if LA is really in need of additional Thai vegan restaurants. While I find many of them to have similar mediocre food, I cannot say this of Araya's Place.

Way back in 1987, Araya became the first vegan Thai restaurant in Seattle, and the restaurant has finally made its way to Los Angeles.

How is the food? Delicious, not too salty like many of the other veg Thai restaurants I have been to. The service? Perfect. The waiting staff and owner were very attentive and friendly. The ambiance? They spent over 150,000 dollars renovating the space, and it certainly shows, with large black-framed mirrors, wooden accents and shelves, spices and plants on the walls, and overall a lovely ambiance.

We ordered Thai spring rolls and a papaya salad as an appetizer. Warning! Thai food can be very spicy. Even though we ordered a "2" on the spicy scale, had we ordered anything higher on the scale, I think my mouth would have been on fire. I found this Papaya salad to perhaps more delicious than any papaya salad I have had.

The spring rolls were very tasty and nicely presented, but pretty standard tasting.

For the main course I ordered an avocado curry. This dish is very flavorful, and adding brown rice to the meal is essential if you want something to absorb the delicious curry sauce. The presentation of all of the dishes was delightful and I appreciate that they add live-food touches to each dish.

Araya's Place is a welcome addition to LA's Thai vegan scene.

I recommend this restaurant highly. The ambiance, service and food are all top rate.

Pros: Food, Service, Ambience

Dear Owner and Manager of Araya's Place: