Aquarius

Small veggie restaurant. Food is mostly lacto-vegetarian with dairy, and limited to no vegan options. Has organic beer and wine. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine
40 Rue de Gergovie (Arrondissement 14, Metro: Pernety)
Paris, France 75014

First Review by SarkeBeeley
theoutsider
theoutsider

Very good, simple and not expensive.

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

Good food; vegan options available. Friendly staff, good value. Nice fat cat wandering around.
We ate there 3 times as was very close to our hotel.

Pros: Good food, Good value, friendly staff
Cons: location away from city center
runnerdave
runnerdave

Dissapointing

2 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

I've been twice to Aquarius. As a vegan the first time, I had the (vegan) Indian plate, a selection of small dishes inspired by India. I found most dishes uninspiring, prepared without imagination or flair and without proper Indian spices.
The second time I had the Ocean salad (or similar name), combining different see weeds and algae. It was ok, but again the salad wasn't seasoned, no vinaigrette, basically a few spoonful of various algae around a plate of green salad. Plus that second time we had a little annoying issue with the drink order, having asked specifically for Roiibos tea (or red tea) and being served something that contained black tea and then having to argue with the waitress about it.
We will not go back to Aquarius. It might be ok as vegetarian restaurant and I understand that it has been around for a while, but as a vegan, there are many better alternatives managed by passionate vegan cooks who are doing much more than vegetable on a plate, who are trying to really create tasty and exciting food. If Aquarius was cheaper, it could at least redeem itself on a price/quality basis, but it's not even cheap.

Pros: Good location in the 14th district, Interesting decoration
Cons: Uninspired cooking, Unexperienced staff, Too pricy for what you get
Krolou
Krolou

Disappointed

2 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2013

The first times I went there, I really liked it : "pâté végétal", "feuilletés aux pleurottes"... almost everything seemed vegan and tasted nice.
Then they changed the menu and marked clearly what is vegan and what is not : actually, they put eggs and cream in virtually anything and only two dishes remain available for vegans.
The last time I went, I was also extremely disappointed by the food : it did not taste particularly good, and this goes for the vegan meal and my sister's vegetarian meal.
Besides, they do not seem to care about seasonal food (tomatoes and zucchinis in the middle of winter...)
It's a pity because I live right next to it but I don't think I will go there again.

Notre-Dame
Notre-Dame

Just if you are in the neighborhood...

3 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2013

It's not bad, but it's not worth making a detour to eat there. The place seems to have remained stuck in the 70s. It is very cheesy ... It is a vegetarian food without any originality, but we have enough to eat.

Pros: Good portions
Cons: Noisy
veganjenny
veganjenny

Pricey but great atmosphere

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

My partner and I went here the other day while on holiday. It was our first night and we arrived late so couldn't be bothered quibbling over prices and decided to splurge a bit. The restaurant is slightly crowded but I took that as a good sign - there was never an empty table. It had very cute decor with carved wood tables with candles and flowers. The waitress spoke no English but with our little French and some general gesticulating we didn't have any trouble ordering. The menu had English descriptions which made it much easier for us. The vegan items on the menu were clearly marked which I suppose must have been a recent change as other reviews have said they had to ask.

We ordered the raviolis for a starter which were delicious and packed with flavour and came with a small side salad. For mains I got the mushroom tart and my partner ordered a meatless loaf. My tart was slightly dry but the mushrooms were delicious and the side vegetables - seasoned carrots in sauce and zuccini/courgette in tomato sauce - were very nice. My partner enjoyed his loaf slice which he had with the same carrots as I had and some roast potatoes. Even though we were quite stuffed we got a slice of chocolate gateau which was also very tasty.

My only real complaint was the price. On top of our food my parter ordered a small glass of cidre and altogether the bill came to over 40 euros which I felt was a bit extortionate. However, it was our first night in Paris and if you don't mind splashing out a bit the food is pretty good, the staff are lovely, and the experience feels very 'French'.

Pros: Lovely staff, Clearly marked vegan, Large portions
Cons: Expensive
Poundie
Poundie

Delicious food

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

A charming place in Montparnasse. The staff is friendly, and the food tastes great. There are many fine vegan choices, and the staff seems quite willing to accomodate vegans. Even so, vegans should be aggressive here--we were served one dish that we were suspicious about, and waiter then realized that we were served something with dairy in it by mistake, though promptly made amends.

Pros: great taste, charm
Cons: vegans need caution
KinPhx
KinPhx

Yummy Veggie Food in Paris!!!

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

We're a veggie and veggie-friendly spouse and in Paris the last week in APril 2012. Both of us enjoyed our food. Was able to do several courses with wine affordably and sooo very happy to have had soup! Seriously, can only trust veggie-only places to truely use only veggie broth and this was very delish (even with needing a little more seasoning). My husband commented later in trip that he was more pleased and full with their meal then at other places later on in our trip. Got there at openning so no trouble getting seated, staff was very helpful, waitress' english was better than she believed it to be (and our jet lagged french was prob'ly worse). Cannot recomend it enough! Reminds you of the college town "hippie" places we've all been to and enjoyed the food at (decor and food wise!)

Pros: Great Food, Good Prices
gerritholl
gerritholl

Excellent

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2012

I ate at this restaurant tonight. In France, it's usually quite difficult to be vegetarian. In restaurants, and particularly in lunch-canteens, the vegetarian dish is at best the entire dish with the meat left out. Result: I'm always still hungry after lunch/dinner and need to get a snack to satisfy my hunger. Not so here. For the first time in my life, I leave a French restaurant happy and had more than enough food. Considering the high quality and location in central Paris, the price is reasonable: 20€ (March 2012) for a three-course dinner with soup, lasagne and chocolate pie with cream (all but the cream were okay for vegans, I think). They also had a much better option for non-alcoholic drinks than most restaurants do. Usually I pay 2 euro for a glass of juice from a carton one can buy at ALDI for 1 euro; here I got delicious fresh juice (several fruits available), a bit expensive but worth the money. In summary, I can strongly recommend this restaurant!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, big portions
Cons: possibly too big portions for some
Heatherjayne
Heatherjayne

Nice Place

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2011

Whilst in Paris we had evening meals here and at Potager du Maris and Saveur VegetHalles. This place had the smallest portion sizes of the three (we were very hungry after a full day of sighseeing!), however it was definitely the best value for money - 30E for two for two courses (drinks not included) as opposed to the 50E at Potager du Maris. Food and atmosphere were good and the Italian waiter was very helpful.

Pros: Menu, Price
Cons: Portion sizes
Nicolas
Nicolas

Nice little place

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2010

I did not know what to expect. Having been living in Paris for 8 years, it was the first time I visited the place.
I went there on a Monday lunch and I must say that for 12€, i had a very pleasant 3 course menu starting with a green soup, some kind of lasagnes with potatoes as the main meal with creams and side-cooked veggies and a part of cheesecake as a desert. Really honest.

Pros: Warm , Friendly, Tasty
Cons: Unvegan
Sarayna
Sarayna

Great atmosphere

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2010

The thing I really liked about this place is that it you really wouldn't have known it was a vegetarian restaurant - although I like all the health drinks etc that you can find in vege restaurants it was very nice to be in a nice restaurant where the food happened to be vegetarian ratehr than feel like I was being difficult. I think it's the kind of place you could definitely take a meat eating friend! It was great to be able to have a set menu too, which I can't normally do in France as in restaurants which serve meat there won't be vege options on the set menu. Cosy atmosphere, very reasonable prices, felt like a family place (not sure whether it is) and had things like home made pear cider (although they had run out). Went there twice in a 4 day trip! It's a bit of a hike from central paris but well worth the trip.

Pros: Tasty food, Very healthy, Good set menu
Cons: Bit of a hike!
conservomom
conservomom

A great find!

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2010

We loved this place! The food was excellent and the waitress was fun & helpful. She struggled with English; we struggled with French. And we all did a lot of laughing. She even took my notebook and wrote down the name of the wine we were drinking. Was the food 100% vegan? I don't know. We were having such a good time we forgot to ask.

Pros: excellent food, friendly & helpful staff, nice atmosphere
vixh
vixh

What a gorgeous little place.

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2010

I think I may make myself unpopular with this review, judging by some of the others, but I found this petit resto to be a wonderful little find.
I had a beautiful veggi (not vegan) meal with a bottle of wine for about 25 euros.
The food was great, the atmosphere was warm and friendly, the portions were huge and the decor was beautiful.
I would highly recommend this place, on its quiet little side street in a lovely neighbourhood (I was staying there anyway), to anyone, veggi or otherwise.

Pros: Friendly staff, Huge portions, Good value
Cons: Non vegan
  • conservomom conservomom

I agree. Aquarius was our favorite restaurant in Paris.

+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

Vegans, do not go there!

2 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2009

I used to eat the couscous, which was supposed to be vegan. Then they changed staff and the new waitress told us that the couscous was not vegan! In addition the food is not organic and isn't cheap!

Joyface
Joyface

Perfect!

5 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2009

The title sums it up really... as others have written, the menu is in English and French, which is helpful, and is 100% vegetarian. I chose from the specials menu (which the English chef willingly translated to us through the very friendly waitress who was really trying her best at talking in English!), which was $15 for 2 courses. Meals average about $12, the only thing that bought the cost up was the wine ($20 for the bottle), as the house wine was out of stock. The food was truely fantastic, really rustic-style home cooking, but clearly made with care for detail and taste. The restaurant was decorated in a kitsch but cute way, and along with the staff, was really welcoming.

The chocolate truffle log is to die for!

Pros: English-friendly, Great staff, Attention to detail
Cons: $20 wine brough the cost up
Philippe
Philippe

Not my first choice in Paris

2 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2007

I tried Aquarius during my recent trip to Paris and was disappointed by the lack of vegan options on the menu. The location is slightly off-centered in the 14th arrondissement, the restaurant itself is cute and welcoming. I had hummus as a starter and an Indian dish as my main course. The only vegan option for dessert was an apple compote, and I passed on that.
They serve organic wine.

Pros: 15 euros prix fixe dinner, organic wine
Cons: not enough vegan options
supervegan
supervegan

Hard for non-french-speaking Vegans

3 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2007

I had a lovely dinner here with a friend, but had one heck of a time trying to figure out what was vegan. I ended up picking the safest-sounding dish. I don't see why a vegetarian restaurant would choose not to label things that are vegan.

Pros: Good, fresh food
Cons: Opens late, Not vegan-friendly
dirtandskirts
dirtandskirts

I didn't find it vegan-friendly, either, but...

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2007

My only visit to Aquarius was this past winter or spring, while living in France (we did try to go one other time, but they were full). I remember nothing about what I ate, or even if I had dessert, which doesn't say much for whatever it was. But I do remember that I had a hell of a time trying to find something vegan, and seemed to have no luck getting through to our waitress.

As it turns out, she gets a get-out-of-trouble-free card -- we finally succeeded at communication at the end of our meal, and as it turns out she is somewhat hard of hearing and usually works the quieter lunches (not dinner), so she was having trouble understanding everyone, not just me, because of background noise. *Vegans take note:* She explained that while the menu is indeed fairly devoid of vegan options, if you call ahead and tell them you're vegan, they can usually make something for you. I have had great luck with the "make me something vegan" option at other places (in the States), though I never got a chance to try it here. Would love to see how well it works...

Pros: nice décor, they have the english-language expat mag
Cons: can suck for vegans
O-liv
O-liv

Vegans, beware!

2 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2007

I've been there twice. I find the place to be pleasant, and the food is very nice although there is not much choice (and a little on the expensive side). First time I went I had this couscous with loads of stuff on the side: seitan, tofu,... I checked and was told it was vegan.

Went back a few days later, and wanted something else, but it wasn't vegan. So I said I would have the couscous. They tell me it's not vegan. I explained about last time, so they checked. Turns out it contained eggs, cheese and butter. Very vegan! And I had eaten that.

In the end, there are only 2 vegan dishes and one vegan desert. I wouldn't recommend the place to vegans.

Pros: tasty
Cons: not-vegan friendly, not much choice
Marieke
Marieke

moderate...

2 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2007

Because my friend and I are going to stay one year in Paris for studies, we have to find a good veggie restaurant over here to satisfy our vegetarian needs :)
Unfortunately, it won't be Aquarius...
The food is moderate, the atmosphere was moderate, the service was moderate... I had a soup with not to much taste and "le friand forestier" who wasn't that special for 15€...which can count already for a student.

Pros: A bit cossy, Quick service
Cons: Small portions, A bit noisy
Guest
Guest

Stars were not aligned

2 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2007

A really bad experience. We stepped in the door to be told by a man sitting at a table eating, "Rentrez pas, c'est pas la peine". Which meant don't bother coming in. This man happened to be the owner of the restaurant and definitely needs some work on his sense of humour. The food was fair, the service was poor and the jokes were terrible. Will not be returning.

Pros: BIO beers and wines
Cons: Un-accomodating, Small dining area, Not kid friendly
  • dirtandskirts dirtandskirts

"Rentrez pas" or "Entrez pas"?

SarkeBeeley
SarkeBeeley

Maybe if we had been there earlier?

3 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2006

I was looking forward to trying Aquarius after reading the reviews on this site but I have to say I was a bit disappointed. We unfortunately arrived about half an hour before they were closing after lunch which may well have changed our experience. The staff seemed really disgruntled that we'd turned up, plonked us on a table and didn't even bother to refill the water jug that had been there from the last diners. The waiter (manager?) was english and talked down to us as if we were really stupid. There were some decent options on the board but limited choice for vegans. The tabbouleh starter was lovely but there weren't really many options for a main course. In the end the only thing I could eat was the chilli which was basically a big bowl of kidney beans with a tiny bit of sauce and a couple of chunks of fake meat. As for dessert there wasn't anything that was vegan (that they were willing to cook at the last minute) so I ended up with a bit of fruit. Not very impressed. I have to say the waiter did write down how I should explain that I'm vegan in French which was really helpful but other than that I felt as though he thought we were stupid. He told me I'd really struggle to eat as a vegan in Paris in a tone of voice that implied that it was stupid to even attempt it. We didn't get the chance to go back on an evening when they may have been friendlier without the time contraints but perhaps it may have been better then.

Pros: Nice layout, Okay prices
Cons: Limited vegan options, Attitude of staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Aquarius: