Vegan kitchen in the heart of Newtown on the ground floor of Berkelouw Books shop. Features in-house made primal pies plus hearty food, desserts, organic fair trade coffee, vegan scones and freshly baked sweets. Previously named Naked Espresso. SHUT DOWN AT THIS LOCATION SEPT 2013 DUE TO BOOKSTORE CLOSURE. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Bakery, Take-out

First Review by lindafacemcgee
Gobbledock
Gobbledock

Quite bland and average

2 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

I went here for breakfast a few weeks ago and I must say I was VERY disappointed. On the basis of the all the glowing reviews here, I had high expectations of an outstanding vegan cafe, but instead I would say the food was at best bland and boring, and dare I say it... this place gives vegan food a bad name. I feel bad not writing a glowing review, because I WANT to support vegan businesses, but ultimately perhaps some critical feedback might be what this cafe needs in order to boost business (it was pretty much empty on a Sat morning).

The main problem I had with the food was that it lacked creativity, and was extremely under-seasoned. If I had been served a similar breakfast in a non-vegan cafe, I would have put the blandness down to a lack of understanding of vegan cooking, but at a vegan cafe, there is no excuse...

Pros: all vegan, cute location
Cons: bland
Phoegan12
Phoegan12

Real vegan

4 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2012

Found at the back of a sweet library. Limited menu I ordered a newly added burger made with just l3 different types of legumes & seeds ( what I mean by real vegan- whole foods & healthy not processed and fake) with roasted potato's & salad on bread with sweet chilli sauce. I recommend to not get sweet chilli sauce but peanut the sweet chilli spoiled the burger, but still a beautiful lunch, it is also very large so if your with someone SHARE! I also recommend the smoothies they are incredible - you can get berries, banana or mango. Nice staff but prices abit expensive but good quality food. There is a big breakfast menu- scrambled tofu, omelets, baked beans. There are delicious looking desserts such as the almond and cherry tart. A very cute eatery worth a visit

Pros: Good whole food vegan, Nice staff, Flavorsome food
Cons: Abit expensive, Small menu

JodesG
JodesG

Best vegan breaky in Sydney!

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

Wow, what an awesome vegan cafe! It took a while for our meals to come, but it was worth the wait! I had the BLAT which was delicious, my daughter had the pancakes (ok, I helped eat them too) and my mum had the 'meatball' tacos. HUGE meals and really yum! Also grabbed an Anzac cookie and a GF melting moment to take home-the melting moment was to die for! Wicked book store too :) we rolled out of there in food comas haha

Pros: atmosphere, variety
Cons: none
amaranth
amaranth

fantastic breakfast spot!

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

I had breakfast here last weekend, a massive morning after feast. It's a cute cafe at the back of a bookstore, very cool. Great food, great coffee. 5 stars.

Pros: great breakfast , yum coffee , lovely staff
peterjohnchen
peterjohnchen

Vegan paradise in Sydney

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

The _best_ vegan place in Sydney. Now that they have decided to expand their menu, the place just keeps getting better and better. If you are a vegan, you must go here.

Pros: Food, Drink, pure vegan
Cons: Weekends only
VeJo
VeJo

Yay, the real Naked* is back!

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2012

*Or should I say Apt?

Anyway, so relieved to have a vegan breakfast I can trust in this town again. A great b'fast, and now open for lunch. I'm yet to try the blue cheezly risotto (!), but can heartily recommend the tofu scramble and BLAT. I'm also keen to try the apple turnover and scones, but am usually too full after breakfast :(

One word of warning: the breakfasts are large. One might say too large... but at least you won't need lunch.

Did I say they're in a bookstore?

Pros: Yummy food, all vegan!, great service, In a bookstore
Cons: Servings perhaps too large
veganjess86
veganjess86

Amazing

5 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2012

My favorite place in Sydney, the only downside is they are only open weekends. I love their new location and their staff is really nice. I had the vegan scones, which I don't think you can find anywhere else in Sydney. I also had a delicious apple tart. I love the new location at the back of a book store.

sbszine
sbszine

New location

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

Naked has now moved to the bottom floor of Berkelouw books, in a laneway just off King St (hang a left at T2). As well as the original menu of breakfasts / pancakes / BLATs there are now scones and some lunchtime foods like risotto. No pies at the moment, though.

The new space is much nicer than the old location and the new chef has made some improvements (rosti added to the feasts, frozen banana added to the pancakes, fresh juice instead of bottled, etc). Good stuff -- welcome back.

Pros: Even better food, Great space
Cons: Soymilk used isn't my favourite
rhod
rhod

Brilliant vegan breakfast

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2010

Visited Naked for brunch Feb 10. Such a treat to have so much choice for a vegan breakfast. I had the big breakfast (cant remember the actual name) which was sausages, rashers, mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns, toast, beans etc etc. Everything was very good and very generous helping. Only slight complaint was that it didnt all come at once but minor moan. Finished with the custard slice which is more decadent and well presented that you'd expect. Was extremely good though.

They take their coffee very seriously and as a result its very good. Each cup is a double pour so nice and strong and very nice flavour. I'd come for the coffee even if I wasnt eating which is extremely rare for a restaurant, particularly a vege one.

The owners were very friendly, helpful and generally nice. I was given a pie to try which I felt obliged to stuff down before my brunch. Definitely one of the best vegan pies I've had so it seems everything here is good!

All in all it's by far the best vegan breakfast place in Sydney and it's definitely good enough to bring your non-vege friends to.

Pros: Loads of vegan stuff, Lovely Food, Lovely Coffee
Cons: None really.
lisathevegan
lisathevegan

Incredible

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2009

I went there about 5 months ago for brunch with a group of people. I was amazed by the quality and taste of everything that I ate. My favorite thing on the day were the gluten free buckwheat pancakes.

philjdomm
philjdomm

Awesome Vegan Breakfast

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2009

brought my carnivore friend and he was thinking of a reeally weird set up but it turned out to be one of those chique and contemporary set up in newtown.
there's this overly wired GERMAN who owns the BARISTA area!
very perky that sometimes i think he could be one of those clown characters!

Lea
Lea

My new Saturday morning hangout

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2009

I've been here twice now and LOVE it. I had tofu scramble the first time and couldn't eat it all there was so much - very tasty. But even better was the buckwheat pancake stack the next week, with sliced bananas and strawberries and maple syrup. Yum! My partner had the big breakfast fry ups which would be a bit full on for me, but I did sample everything from his plate and it was all scrumptious. Haven't been able to have hash browns for years now, so that was a real treat. The coffee is delicious and mellow and it is just such a thrill to me to be able to order "a flat white" without even having to specify soy milk, because that is all they have! Not only that, it is bonsoy, the creme de la creme of soymilks. The owner is also making aussie style pies made from mushroom 'steak' rather than tvp. The one we sampled was incredible. Can't wait to take one home to try with mash potato and peas (or it would be even better if they put that on the menu). This is now our regular breakfast spot.

Pros: Friendly atmosphere, Bonsoy, Hash browns and pies
Cons: Should be open longer!
jaylopez
jaylopez

Naked

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2009

Naked was one of my memorable dining experiences in Sydney ... for all the right reasons!! Friendly service, good prices and delicious vegan food fresh from the kitchen. I ordered scrambled tofu and was treated to a side serve of beans, spinach, hash browns. The coffee they served was so good I went back for a second cup. It's good to eat vegan / vegetarian food made by someone who actually lives as a vegan rather than many support meaty cafes that add unimaginative vegetarian "options" to their menus. This will be the first cafe I head to whenever I'm back in Sydney.

Pros: healthy food, friendly staff
nikkidynamo
nikkidynamo

Great food and Great Service!

5 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2008

My partner and I headed over to Newtown this morning especially to try out this place. We weren't disappointed. The menu had some great choices and the service was excellent. When we sat down a waitress came to take our drinks order. I asked for peppermint tea which they didn't have (I didn't think to look at the menu) instead of asking me to choose something else the waitress ran outside and upstairs and grabbed some peppermint tea from her house for me!! Talk about great service!

We ordered the "Big Aussie Vegan Feast" and it was really great, crunchy hash browns, delicious seedy sourdough bread - with nuttlex, fried, smoked tofu, mushrooms, spinach, tomatos and organic baked beans. Everything was delicious. We will definitely be going back to this place! I can't wait to try the scrambled tofu and the buckwheat pancakes.

Pros: Fabulous Service, Delicious Food, All Vegan!
Cons: signage needed
lindafacemcgee
lindafacemcgee

Best vegan breakfast I've had EVER

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2008

I came in last weekend after hearing whispers of a vegan breakfast in Newtown and I'm so glad I did! I got the 'morning after fry up' which consisted of vegan sausages, bacon, hash browns, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans and sourdough toast. It was amazing. The bacon was smokey (hard to come by with vegan bacon), the hash browns were crispy, everything was perfectly seasoned.

On top of the awesome food, the service was incredible. When I heard about the breakfast, I called up beforehand to hear more about it and the lady on the phone was more than happy to tell me about it (and without me having to ask, even told me about how they use separate sets of cooking equipment to ensure the vegan-ness of the vegan food!). When I came in, I needed to get takeaway because I had just picked up my boyfriend from the airport and he was waiting in the car. It didn't seem like takeaway was usually an option for breakfast, but the staff made the effort to accommodate my needs, which I was really grateful for. It was a tiny bit of a wait as they were quite busy, but I didn't mind at all considering how lovely everyone was and that they were doing take away for me - plus they served me a complimentary hash brown as I waited!

Pros: Great food, Best breakfast, Lovely service

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Apt: