Antipasto's

Serves meat, veg options available. Mostly veg but appears to also offer meat despite the name. Small place. Menu is based on tofu, tempeh, and seitan dishes with daily specials, plus pizzas, salads, and desserts. Price: Expensive more-less
Beer/Wine, Italian, Non-veg

First Review by kiki
eighthkid
eighthkid

not worth it

1 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2014

Over priced, mediocre service, and food was meh.
My pasta primavera ($18.95) was bland, and the bread was borderline stale. I ordered vegan sausage as a side which was also bland. The best part of my meal was on the specials- a spinach salad with sautéed mushrooms and veggie bacon. They didn't show the price- I should have asked because it was $11.75 for a SMALL SALAD! To add insult to my $41.79 bill they charged me $2.00 for a small amount of soy parm for my pasta! Seriously- if you go bring plenty of cash and don't expect a great experience for the money.

Pros: portions were ample.
Cons: cash only for such an expensive place
Schmeb2
Schmeb2

Loved it!

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

In town for a wedding, I found Antipasto's on HappyCow and thought we would give it a try. Our server was very nice and helpful. I am a vegan chef and somewhat hard to please and we thought the food was excellent. The ambiance reminds me of Frank Sinantra's favorite Italian restaurant t in Hoboken.

Pros: Great food
Cons: Cash and check only
Guest
Guest

WORST experience I've ever had

2 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

If you have any sense at all...you will save your money and go somewhere else. First off, the service was terrible. We waited nearly 45 minutes for our $9.95/ea. bowls of French onion soup. $10 a bowl??? Seriously, it's onions. To make matters worse, the seating was so cramped that I could hardly take a sip of the outrageously priced soup without being bumped into by either a waiter or passing patron. Now here comes the best part...the bill. $76 for two bowls of soup, two main dishes consisting entirely of veggies, and two glasses of wine. AND THEY DON'T TAKE CREDIT CARDS. What??

Pros: Can't think of any
Cons: Price, Management/cust, service, Wait times
  • bitjockey bitjockey

I know this place well and find this review a bit strange. The French Onion soup is $9.95, but its a huge crock (10 or 12 oz) versus what you get most places. And it's vegetarian...in this case the base is made from porcini mushrooms, which cost around $45/lb, sometimes more...instead of a cheap beef/veal base. So $10 to me doesn't seem out of line...but if you do, here is an idea....DON'T ORDER IT! The price is right on the menu.
    As far as getting a plate of veggies at a VEGETARIAN restaurant....well, that deserves no comment.
    I have eaten at this place maybe 50 times since moving to the Capital District in 1997, and the service has always been good or great. It is small and intimate, but I wouldn't call it tight and have never had an issue with what this reviewer claims...not once.
    Like lots of small family businesses, they don't take credit cards but do accept checks. Maybe I am 'old-school', but I figure if you can't find four $20 bills to put in your pocket to go out to dinner, then maybe you should stay home and make dinner. Or don't drink.
    Speaking of which, the wine and beer selection at Antipasto's is simple outstanding, and VERY reasonable. Just my 2 cents...

007 Elect.
007 Elect.

• non-vegetarian

Untouchable..................................

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2008

The best restaurant in the area by FAR! If you have not been here yet what are you waiting for? You meat lovers I am sorry to say that they do not have much on the menu as for red meat but if you want that then why are you going to a vegetarian restaurant? Unless it is to please the woman and that will not be a problem. However, if you love pasta you need to get down there. The sauce is untouchable as well as the fresh pasta. Salads, if you like them green this is the place to be. The veggie chicken is the best in Upstate NY as well as any other place I have been to. I myself love chicken but must say the veggie chicken is better than any other real chicken you can get out there. So sit back, enjoy the amazing selection of wine and be ready to leave full, with left over's. You will be back...........tell them Chris & Heather sent you!

jessica1185
jessica1185

Ehhh...

3 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2008

Nothing to rave about. The food was alright, but the price was not justifiable at all. It was also so dark! The service wasn't great either. I do not think I will be going back

Pros: Veg options
Cons: Expensive, Mediocre food

eric_s
eric_s

I wish I had read the reviews earlier

2 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2007

I have recently visited Antipasto's after reading raving reviews at the Best of... on Metroland Online. I was very, very disappointed. To sum it up in four words: Bad Service, Mediocre Food.

Cons: Poor service, Mediocre Food, Unfriendly staff
kiki
kiki

Delicious and Inventive

5 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2007

On the numerous occasions when I've eaten at Antipasto's I have had excellent, attentive service. There is a great selection of food and wine and desserts. There are few vegetarian restaurants of this quality and inventiveness in the Capital region. More expensive than most, but you pay for quality, and I'm willing to pay for the food and the service.

Pros: healthy & delicious food, stellar wine list, attentive service
Cons: cash only
  • bitjockey bitjockey

I am a regular at Antipasto's and agree with the review by kiki. I can assure you of this; the comments by "exit" are laughable. Anyone who knows the owner knows he didn't write that review. In fact, it tells me that "exit" has probably never been to the restaurant. But it gave us all a good laugh...keep up the great comedy work "exit".

• Exit Exit

This review flies in the face of the other reviews, giving 5 stars and counters every complaint by the other reviewers. It is my belief that this review is by the owner of the restaurant, if not someone really close.

The user kiki signed up on the same day as the review above and never contributed further. I smell something bad. Perhaps the owner should address the problems by changing the way they operate rather than posting false reviews.

Dear Owner and Manager of Antipasto's: