Serves meat, veg options available. Rock pub offering an extensive rock-themed burger menu. Burger can be made veg/vegan upon request and comes with fries/wedges and salad. Sunday roasts and chili dog Tuesday both have a veggie option. Open since May 2009 and was at Navigation Live Music Venue (but the pub itself has a very old history). Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, American, Western, Non-veg

HannaGarcez
HannaGarcez

scared to come back!

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2015

Me and my friend Kat just went to our favorite place to eat in Notts: Annie's Burger Shack & Freehouse
And we were extremely disappointed. To start from the beginning, kat went there yesterday and ordered "the Greek" burger vegan. They not only served her burger with dairy cheese but lectured her with a condescending speech on how incredibly wrong she was that they would neeever make that mistake, immediately before actually checking her meal and admitting it was in fact not vegan. The manager handled the situation and it was all resolved.
We were back today, ordered some food (same Greek burger for kat and a philly cheese for me, also vegan)
they recognised her and we mentioned jokingly that it was to be really vegan this time.
They brought my burger with ingredients missing and kats burger with dairy, yet again.
We asked very politely to double check with the kitchen because maybe from the day before we were just being paranoid.
The chef then stomped out of the kitchen and borderline shouted at us shoving the tub of vegan yogurt in our faces and turning his back with an angry tone and challenging "Are you satisfied now?"
We were shocked and felt harrassed for being vegan and made to feel wrong or picky at a place that prides itself for being really inclusive. In a case of actual dairy allergy that would be grounds for a law suit and shutting down of the premises.
As a chef I must say, that if one of my kitchen managers pulled some crap like that they would be on the street.
We were completely put off our meals and decided to walk away, kat feeling actually sick from it.
The front of house manager Adam dealt with it the best he could and tried to contain the situation and keep us appeased, never the less it is highly disrespectful. And we are so upset because again, its our favorite place, we go there 3 to6 times a month for the past year or so, and after this incident we are honestly not keen on ever coming back.
We walked down the Alley Café to have some proper safe vegan burgers for half the price I might add.
It comes back to vegans not actually feeling safe that chefs will take the time and care to respect their dietary requirements in a place that is not fully catered to them.
As far at Annies go, still love their burgers but not a place I would come back to or recommend since their kitchen can't be trusted.

jennyc32
jennyc32

Spoilt for choice

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2015

Annie's has an extensive burger menu, with all options available as meaty, vegetarian or vegan. It's nice to be spoilt for choice! Despite the popularity (we booked for Easter weekend 2014, and, despite booking weeks in advance, there was only one time slot still available), service is really fast. The burger was tasty, with plenty of accompaniments, and a really hearty size. My only complaint is that they'd just run out of vegan desserts when I'd ordered.

LeanneV
LeanneV

Nice food, Huge portions!

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2015

Great selection of Vegan burgers. Nice treat for once in a while but if you're like me and you have eyes bigger than your belly you might end up feeling a little sickly afterwards as the portions are absolutely enormous!
Great food, great atmosphere, perfect for special occasions!

Pros: Great selection of burgers , Friendly service , Tastey food
Cons: Very busy , Can be hard to book , Walk ins can be waiting for over 1 hour

Racheld
Racheld

Annie's burger shack

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

Amazing restaurant all burgers have vegan and vegetarian options. Over 30 flavour combinations to chose from.

Really nice restaurant

HelenAthena
HelenAthena

Best burgers ever!

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

Annies does the best burgers ever, something for everyone as all burgers can be meat, veggie or vegan, i think they can offer gluten free options but check on their fb page. They now have the option of sweet potato fries for an extra £1
The new venue is amazing, much much better than the Navigation, the new staff are really lovely and the wait time for food has been decreased.
You need to book in advance if you want a table at a set time, but if you get there for opening time then you should be ok for a walk in.
There was only one vegan beer on tap when I visited but more options in bottles.

Pros: the best burgers ever, vegan puddings :), fantastic atmosphere
Cons: more vegan beer would be nice
Libra77
Libra77

Love Annie's!

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

Been here twice now and love it. The atmosphere is great, staff very friendly and the food so tasty.

All the burgers, about 30, can be made Vegan and Vegetarian. The staff ask you once you have chosen the burger whether you want meat, vegetarian or vegan and I really like this attitude. I have a mix of veggies, vegans and meat eaters in my family and this is one of the only places we could all go to and be really happy with the food, choice and atmosphere. We are also a varied age group, youngest 13 and oldest 75, and everyone felt comfortable and at ease here despite the "trendy vibe".

Portions are pretty substantial, none of us have been able to manage a sweet afterwards! Although there are some vegan puddings available if you can fit it in.

I've had the Mushroom & Swiss cheese burger and the Bacon & Cheese burger. Always cooked fresh and to order, and on both occasions didn't take very long to arrive at the table. Roughly £9.00 for the burger which included a side, the curly fries are a must! I feel that for the portion it is incredibly good value.

I definitely will return if they can fit me in. Annie's is so popular and if wanting a table in the evening you might have to wait a few weeks. Bookings currently by email and it may take a few days to get a reply, from their social media page they are receiving approximately 500 emails a day. Gives you an idea of just how many people love this place!

Pros: Huge menu for veggies and vegans, Great atmosphere, Staff are lovely
Cons: Gets extremely busy, book ahead
Superfry
Superfry

Loads of Very Tasty Vegan Burgers

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2014

Execellent selection for vegans and vegarians as everthing on the menu has vegan option (vegan bacon, cheese etc. Taste amazing! The Deathray (previously the Howlin Wolf)burger is amazing and super hot served with a complete scotch bonnet on top.

Pros: Loads of Choice, Fantastic Vegan Burgers
Cons: Serves Meat!, Can get very busy.
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Incredible range of vegan burgers!

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

I was amazed to go in and find that all of the burgers on the menu could be made in vegan versions, with an incredible range of choices. I ended up getting a hawaiian burger, which was a vegan burger, vegan bacon, vegan cheese and a pineapple ring in a bun with curly fries on the side and it was absolutely delicious! I really never expected that I would find such a vegan-friendly non-vegetarian restaurant, or that vegan burgers like this existed. The only improvement to this place could be if it was all veg!

Pros: Amazing range - all burgers veganisable, Tasty comfort food, Friendly, helpful staff
Cons: Can be busy!
becky8ball
becky8ball

Best burger you'll ever have

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

Annie's used to be in The Old Angel but has relocated to The Navigation, so it's not quite so loud anymore.
I've had quite a few of Annie's burgers but the best one was at my last visit in May - a tower of a burger with cheeze, mayo, hot sauce, olives, jalapenos and onion rings with a big bowl of curly fries.
I'm going back later this month for more.
Yum!

Pros: Amazing food, Amazing food, Decent price
Cons: A little out of town
Stephamoose
Stephamoose

The best burger I've ever had

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2010

My boyfriend and I were in Nottingham for the weekend and I found Annie's Burger Shack on Happy Cow so we decided to check it out. "Rock AND vegan burgers? How could we not!" I believe was the phrase I used.

The place itself is a tattered rock bar, all the charm of somewhere that doesn't spend much money on appearances so the customers get more for their money. The music was good, there's a pool table, and the staff were lovely. We settled in by a window and grabbed menus.

Holy crap ALL these burgers have a vegan option! Cue twenty minutes of umming and ahing as we work our way through the pages and pages of choice - something any vegan will tell you is a novelty, especially in a bar.

I settled for the Slayer burger, complete with "Reign in Blood" (the name of a Slayer album) sauce and my boyfriend opted for the Doom burger. We waited.

To say we were not disappointed would be a massive understatement. Our jaws dropped as the plates arrived, mine dripping with vegan cheese AND mayo! and heaps of home-made potato wedges (which my partner says are the best wedges he's ever had, and he's had a lot).

"Oh jesus, oh god this is a good burger. Oh, the cheese, the cheese!" etc., etc.

We left completely stuffed and very sad we couldn't take the whole place back home with us. I would definitely give Annie's Burger Shack 5 cows, though I appreciate the site not allowing it for places which serve meat.

Pros: Best burgers ever!, Great place, great music, Best burgers ever!
Cons: None, unless you're not into rock
rachell37
rachell37

Best burgers ever!

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2010

We went to Annie's Burger Shack at the Old Angel Inn on 1st, 3rd, and 4th July 2010. The first night, I had a chili dog and my husband had the chili burger, both of which were good. The second night, my husband had the nachos with dirty rice sub, which he thought was just OK (he didn't read the description properly and ended up with things he didn't like much). I had the Drunken Bastard burger, and I can honestly say it was the best burger I've ever eaten in my life! We had breakfast on the 4th, and it was OK (one of my Linda McCartney sausages was overcooked, and there was no vegan sub for the eggs in the non-vegan breakfasts). I wish we could go back again and try the other burgers, most of which can be made vegan (including the cheeseburgers).

My only complaint, which can't really be helped, is that the atmosphere can be a bit loud, as it's in a punk pub. But it is definitely worth going, especially early in the evening and/or on a weekday (Saturday night, during the World Cup, was quite loud, and the service was much slower).

Annie's is incredibly vegan-friendly and has a wider vegan selection than most vegetarian restaurants I've been to. I would give this place 5 cows if I could!

Pros: great vegan selection, best burgers in the world, friendly and knowledgeable staff
Cons: can be loud and crowded, not 100% vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Annie's Burger Shack: