Albuquerque vegetarian restaurant, Annapurna's Cafe features Ayurvedic Indian cooking and a variety of teas and chai tea (with soymilk option), and in-house bakery. Vegan-friendly with gluten free options. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, International, Ayurvedic, Bakery
2201 Silver Ave SE (Yale, by University of New Mexico)
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106
505-262-2424

Mon-Fri 7:00am-9:00pm, Sat 8:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-8:00pm

First Review by Sprout
claryb
claryb

Amazing

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2014

While traveling to New Mexico on business for two weeks, I visited Annapurna's on a regular basis. All of my vegan meals were delicious. The entrees and desserts were amazing. All vegans should visit this location when in the area.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Menu Variety
Evolving
Evolving

Vegan Food that's Comforting

4 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2014

This was my very first visit....I'll be back. Thanks HappyCow.

When 1st walking in, I was unsure what to do (do I wait to be greeted, do I find my own table) the girl behind the counter must have saw my confused look-she asked of I'd ever been there- she told me to take a menu, have a seat, the. Go back to order when ready....

I have to say it was a little overwhelming since I'd never been- I ordered and it came out fast and was good. It was a very large portion (I took over half home with me).

I asked for a to go box and she brought me a paper bag, foil, and container -a bit of a strange experience but good overall.

Pros: Quite a lot of vegan options and flavorful , vegan desserts, fairly fast service
Cons: parking was difficult
mbentz
mbentz

Very Delicious, relaxed and nice people

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

I've had some very delicious things here, like the Samosa with coconut chutney. Their muffins are moist and amazing, and their chai tea is really good too. I ate here even before I was vegan/vegetarian and still liked the food. The people are also very nice and mellow.

Pros: good food, not too expensive, friendly staff
Cons: some foods are strange/unique

81Jess
81Jess

Favorite food of all time

5 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

Annapurna's is my favorite place to eat by far. It is the most vegan, gluten free friendly place I have ever been. The one in Santa Fe is the most consistent and tasty but I now live in ABQ and have to say the Silver Ave spot is the best out of the 2 here, 4th street undercooks stuff a lot. If you have dietary restrictions like I do this place is a haven. Dosas, GF vegan lentil burgers, and Idli sambhar are my favorites. Thai stir fry and veggies and soup of the day are always great too!

Pros: variety, Chai happy hour, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: no soy free, caffeinated chai
satrn4lulu
satrn4lulu

Fresh & Satisfying!

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2013

Was thrilled to have a place to get some really fresh vegan food while visiting Albuquerque. The atmosphere is pleasant and visually exciting. I had the lebanese wrap with fries & chipotle dipping sauce. The entire dish was wonderful. Having a dish with lots of veggies is wonderful when so many veg restaurants offer up fake meats instead of glorious veggies. I took about half of my food to go and unfortunately didn't have room for dessert!

Pros: lots of veggies, yummy flavors, large portions
Cannabliss
Cannabliss

South Indian Sampler

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2013

The food here is good not great and the service can be a little lacking. The South Indian Platter is really tasty as well as any quinoa dishes.

Pros: Good food.
Cons: Long wait times
hjader
hjader

Wish it was in my home town!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2012

Great options. Tasty. Fast service. Great value. Will stop in next time I'm in town. Enjoyed the vegan Shepard's pie with an excellent salad and the chilled ginger mint drink. Ahhhhh....

Pros: Many vegan and veggie options, Tasty, Quick service
Cons: Not in my town :(
theflyinglentil
theflyinglentil

great food, great perspective!

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

We stopped in off of I-40, on our way from NJ to CA. Some SERIOUSLY tasty grub was much appreciated after recovering from crazy car troubles a few hours before.
First of all, I have to say that the restaurant is absolutely beeyuutiful! Colorful murals grace almost every wall and table-top.
Secondly, THE MENU. It is veryyy extensive. We ordered the samosa, masala dosa, and masala fries with some kind of chipotle aioli. Deciding what to order took forever, I would have been happy with almost anything on the menu. Because the restaurant follows the hindu practice of Ayurveda, the quality of their food and the health it provides is vital to their philosophy. I swear you can taste the positive energies and love. They share, on back of their table-number card, the wisdom of an ancient ayurvedic proverb, "When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need." You can't beat that.
Anyway, when you walk in, there are open tables for you to take a seat. You can grab a menu, take a look, and then go up and order from the counter. In a little bit a friendly server will bring out your food and perfectly steamy mug of soy chai =P. It's pretty cool, the way they operate. It feels like a mix between a coffee shop, cafe, and little lunch bistro; so it's really comfortable whether you're just looking to grab a mango lassi and study by yourself, or have a nice sit-down lunch with friends.
So all-in-all, the restaurant was a beautiful paradise. The staff were so pleasant and easy to talk to. The food was delicious and unexpected, and we left with smiles and full stomachs.
Totally my happy place, considering moving to albuquerque just so I can hang out here everyday ;)

Lily925
Lily925

Vegan Oasis

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2012

We enjoyed everything we had. The Kitchari was delicious. I would also recommend the shehard's pie. It's cooked lentils, vegetable, with sweet potatoe on top then baked. We went again to the Santa Fe Annapurna's and it wasn't as good, but still good, so I guess it depends on the chef of the day.

Pros: Vegan, lots of choice, tasty
Cons: location a bit hard to find
desertpig
desertpig

Absolutely delicious!

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2011

My partner (an omnivore) and I (vegan) ate at the north location last year and decided to try this location for breakfast. We were not disappointed! Our meals were delicious. Excellent food, good value, friendly staff, clean dining room and restrooms. We shall return the next time we travel by ABQ.

Pros: many vegan options, good value, healthy, tasty food
Cons: none
JasonFiegel
JasonFiegel

great food and atmosphere

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2011

I have had almost everything on the menu there, and love most of it, I try to copy their recipes at home. I like the masala fries, mango lassi, mango cheesecake, and the chef's plates. I think the burger is my favorite entree, all the parts of it are made from scratch. My wife's favorite is the bhaji with basmati rice. Eat something from the pastry rack when you go, I like to support the baker there, she's a cutie.

Pros: unique atmosphere, unique food, kid friendly
Cons: ayurvedic water, hot in the summer
Laurie K
Laurie K

some pluses

3 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2010

The main advantage of Annapurna's is the ability to accomodate special diets, gluten-free, dairy-free, etc. There are a few good dishes, and some of the food seems to be made in advance. Service is inconsistent. Still, for those with special diets, it is a light in the dark.

Pros: special diet friendly, healthy food
Cons: service inconsistent
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Slow service, but good food

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

We stopped here around 2pm before heading to Santa Fe as it was close to the airport and I-25. The decor is bright and cheerful and the menu has color photos. The service was slow. It took over a half hour to get our food even though we ordered at the counter. The people who ordered right before us had pretty much finished all their food by the time ours showed up. Except for the service, the place was good. We ordered the utthapam, brunch burrito w/fries and chipotle ranch sauce, a samosa with a side of beet soup and the sweet potato pie for dessert. The utthapam had too much cilantro for Dirk's taste, but otherwise it was tasty with two chutneys included (coconut and date-tamarind). The burrito had an Indian twist to it and was excellent. The fries were awesome as they tasted baked, not oily. The samosa was good, but the soup was really good. Lastly, the pie tasted more like pumpkin pie, but good nonetheless. Overall, we are glad we went, but good thing we weren't in a hurry!

Pros: good variety , tasty
Cons: slow service
vivaluv
vivaluv

Wonderful

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2010

I loved it. Being a vegetarian that's pretty strict about my dairy consumption as well, this place was perfect. I am a avid eater of Indian food too - so it's perfect for me. Try the ABC - it's fantastic. I love the decor, the vibe and the chai tea!

Pros: Everything Vegetarian, Healthy, Great Energy
Cons: No Vegetable Korma
Peach Tree
Peach Tree

Not too Good

2 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2009

I have seen mixed reviews of Annapurna. We stopped by for lunch a few days ago. The restaurant was not busy (mid afternoon). The service was very slow. The samosas were filled with mushy overcooked veggies and were pretty tasteless. The chutney was good. The kitchari was equally mushy and tasteless. Another time we tried the cardamom pancakes, which were huge, underdone, and other than cardamom, tasteless. I have had friends tell me that they had wonderful meals here, but I have yet to visit on a 'good' day.

Pros: vegetarian, can be gluten-free
Cons: service, food prep
ABQrobint
ABQrobint

fantastic vegetarian food!

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

This cafe is just a few blocks from UNM campus so my daughter and I decided to try it one day after getting a positive review from a co-worker who is vegetarian. The menu is very large, the variety of dishes is quite extensive, and every dish we have tried there (we have been 5 times now) have ALL been excellent. The soups and "veggie of the day" are a definite must (coconut soup with sweet potatoes and greens is to die for!), along with the puri bread. My carnivore husband even ate there with us one day and really enjoyed his veggie burger with fries, even though he thought the bread was too heavy. The choice of teas is also HUGE, the black orange mint and the freshmade chair are fabulous!
If you love veggies, or just love spicy food, go to Annapurna and give it a try. We will be pleasantly surprised.

Pros: healthy, fresh, spicy
Cons: service can be slow
shanif
shanif

Good food, typically lousy service

3 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2009

Visiting from out of town, my wife and I were delighted to find this vegetarian option. The food is very tasty, affordably priced and plentiful. However, unfortunately, as is typical of most vegetarian restaurants, the decor is non existaent, and service is cafeteria style. As a vegetarina, I wonder why don't vegetarian restaurants aspire to the same level of service and ambiance as other restaurants?

Pros: Taste, Portion Size, Value
Cons: Ambiance, Service, Cleanliness
lawill
lawill

Looking for Veg-Friendly Breakfast?

2 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2009

As happy vegetarian foodies, we are always on the lookout for a new place, especially for breakfast. We were excited when we found Annapurna's here on Happy Cow. Having said that, my partner and I were incredibly disappointed by both the food and service (and even the chai) at Annapurna's. We waited nearly 40 minutes after ordering (there were only 3 other patrons), watched as both of the other tables and even one of their own servers were given their food. When we finally asked after our food, they brought us our pancakes and tofu scramble stone cold. Aside from the temperature, the pancakes were soggy and the tofu scramble WAY salty. Disappointed, we're still looking for a great veggie-friendly breakfast joint in ABQ. (If I could rate this restaurant 1/2 or 1 cow, I would).

Cons: SLOW service, Cold Food, To much salt
XoDamienne
XoDamienne

So Good!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2009

We had breakfast and tea, though didn't have room to try some of their delicious-looking vegan cakes and cookies. Their tofu scramble was good w/ Indian spices and the owner combined it w/ sides he thought would be best for each person (I don't know if that's based on the ingredients we ordered in the scramble, or what). Annapurna is based on making food that is more than just physically nourishing, but the best for an individual's overall "dosha". I would say this was the best veggie food I found in ABQ.

Kiran
Kiran

Simply Fantastic!

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2009

My wife and I tucked in here for lunch while in town this week and ended up returning for dinner. The Uttaparam, Kitchari, Samosas, and soups are tasty and cooked to perfection - not to mention the great selection of teas. The service is great and they seem to have (good) live music now and then. The atmosphere is friendly and welcoming and they even offer free wifi!

We plan to return here every time we return to Albuquerque!

Pros: Food/Teas, Variety, Atmosphere
Cons: Parking
Anisabellydance
Anisabellydance

Love it!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2009

I ate at Annapurna and was sooo glad I did! There were many vegan options and lots of vegan desserts too! The spices used were wonderful and rich. The staff was very nice and friendly. I can't wait to go back!!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Many vegan options
Cons: ---
SnuggleBear
SnuggleBear

Great place, especially if you are into the spirit

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2009

Great location in ABQ, right across from the University.
Plenty of vegan options including desserts.
The food may NOT be for everyone, but the servings are always abundant. The food is usually heavy on spice, but it gives this place a unique taste. The tofu scramble plate is awesome with lots on it. I also suggest getting the diesel curry fries with that wicked veganaisse. The curried ketchup is good too, but that other sauce is a real treat. Definitely check out if you are in town for a conference.

Pros: lots of spices, veganaisse sauce, all the options
Sprout
Sprout

Loved it

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2009

We ate here a couple of times during our stay in ABQ and had to resist a third trip in order to add a little variety to our visit. The food is hearty and really different from other vegan options I've found elsewhere (different in a good way). The tofu scramble was particularly good, and I couldn't get enough of the Masala fries. The portions are huge and the prices very reasonable. Plenty of vegan desserts to choose from, too. You really can't go wrong at this place, and if anything the amount of vegan options is pleasantly overwhelming.

Pros: Delicious and different, Plenty of vegan options, Masala fries and garlic vegannaise dip

Dear Owner and Manager of Annapurna's World Vegetarian Cafe - UNM:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Albuquerque page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/10/16