Vegetarian Indian restaurant. Note that ghee is used in many items. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian
1085 Bathurst St
Toronto, Ontario M5R3G8
416-537-8513

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by veggiewoman
michaellanfield
michaellanfield

Not for vegans! DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT..

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2014

I went here in 2011 with a huge group of friends and it took us almost an hour to order because almost everything in the restaurant has ghee in it and not suitable for vegans. They couldn't even accommodate us. Eventually we found something on the menu, but it took time and we had to discuss it with the owner and chef. The price is moderate, but I am very unhappy that they are not vegan. Cruelty everywhere on their menu. I do not recommend this place.

I would give the restaurant one star, but happycow doesn't let me.

Pros: Moderately priced
Cons: Cruelty everywhere, Not many vegan options, Unaccommodating
Meowmeow
Meowmeow

I'd give it one star but HappyCow won't let me

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2014

This is one of the worst veggie restaurants in Toronto. It's one of these Sri Chimnoy guru followers restaurants that's bland pan-Asian hippie stuff. Think: White people in saris. I've eaten hear 3x and that's more than enough for my lifetime. The place has zero ambiance, the decor is hideous. It looks like a nursery school classroom walls. If you're visiting Toronto or justices here, don't waste your time here.

Prone to being randomly closed!

As a side note, it's very unfair that HappyCow does not let you give 5 stars to places that serve meat but make world class vegan food and 1 star to veg spots that give veganism a gross hemp sandal and granola bar reputation.

Pros: none
Cons: bland over priced bad food , randomly closed, only non-veg ppl recommend it
krissimi
krissimi

Toronto's 1st is boring and bland-Needs an update

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

I'd go back but I keep hearing the same feedback I experienced when I was brought there once. The food is boring the experience was surreal and I ordered the dessert but just as the waiter went to give it to me, the other waitress grabbed it from him and put it on someone else's table. This was on my birthday and they had no dessert left. The waiter went to the corner store and brought back some fruit and made me a fruit cocktail. They do their best to please but experiencing that was pretty rude. The person who got my dessert showed up after me and ordered after me. It was so wrong.

Cons: bland

yvettexo
yvettexo

Good Food for the health-conscious Vegetarian

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2012

Yes, the decor is awful, and the atmosphere is a little odd, since the restaurant is run by some sort of religious, guru-based organization, but the food is simple, healthy and tasty. It's a good place to go if you're doing a cleanse but still want to eat out.

It's not all Indian food; you can get a delicious vegetarian french onion soup, for example, or steamed vegetables and tofu on rice smothered in a delightful mushroom gravy. I do love the Indian options, even though it's not the best Indian food in town.

Yes, the service is unhurried and slightly odd, but they are all lovely, kind people, and that's good enough for me.

Pros: Healthy, Inexpensive, Good variety
Cons: Decor
VegCA
VegCA

Just okay

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2011

Yes, vegetarian, but not stellar food (or decor). I wouldn't rush back.

TravellingPud
TravellingPud

Relaxing with delicious food

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2010

I love going to Annapurna for the tasty selection of vegetarian food and the relaxing, peaceful atmosphere. It's wonderfully cheap with always comforting food. The daily special meal is always worth a try and the french onion soup is divine!

melskunk
melskunk

Reasonable but nothing stood out

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2010

I used to live near this restaurant, but have only eaten there once. It's surprisingly easy to overlook. As others have noted, the decor is best described as eccentric, and the wait staff are curiously highly laid back.

I took a friend there for a slow and casual lunch, and for that, the laid back staff was ideal. I admit I was a little worried as the waitress looked like an older American hippie as to the quality of the vegetarian cuisine, and she seemed surprisingly void of suggestions when asked for what she liked, but the food I ordered was nicely spiced, not overly hot, but hot enough, and reasonably tasty. The portions were smaller than I expected, being used to the super cheap, super large Indian and Sri Lankan restaurants in the city. Unfortunately, I went home not feeling full, and the amounts I thought I had bought us should have filled us easily.

I think the biggest thing I can say is though I lived closest to this vegetarian restaurant for a year, and went past it for two years to get to work, I went in there once. It's not a place I think most people would travel out of their way to, and I didn't bother when it was on my way. I'd go there again if I was in front of it or around the block, but any farther away and I'd just as soon go to a different Indian place.

It's just "Okay", and even then given how much you eat, might be less than okay. And in a city full of Indian food, you have to be more than just "Okay."

Pros: Friendly staff, Very casual
Cons: Unsatisfyingly small portions, Not exceptionally Indian
NovazMom
NovazMom

unpleasantly surprised

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2010

We'd heard so many good things about this restaurant and were surprised that we didn't enjoy it. Agree about the non-appetizing atmosphere; but could definitely get around that and the friendly but spacey wait-staff if the food was good. It was not. Mostly Indian, small portions and little flavour. We won't be going back.

Veggie88
Veggie88
  • herbivore

Good!

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2010

Ive eaten here twice and Ive enjoyed both times. Most recently I had the masala dosai and loved it! I really liked the laid back staff and atmosphere. Our waitress was attentive, but I never felt disturbed by her. The food was fantastic and if I found myself in the area I'd go again.

Pros: Delicious, Good atmosphere
Ken4057
Ken4057

Ugh

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2009

If you're into Indian food, there are tons of other veg and veg-friendly places to go in the city.

My gf and I tried going here twice b/c I lived around the corner. Should have known to stay away after the first visit.

The place looks like a pastel paint factory threw up. The servers were both space cadets. And the food is the heaviest, greasiest and most unappetizing Indian I've ever had (and I've eaten at dozens of joints).

Do not go, I urge you.

One sad cow.

Cons: Blech
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Great food in a paint-store setting

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2007

Ok, the bright walls and overall atmosphere feel a bit like I am eating in the middle of a paint store. It is very clean and there are some books and incense for sale. Atmosphere aside, the serving staff are all very pleasant (we think they must be smoking something in the back! J/K) and the food is extremely cheap and very delicious.

Pros: yummy, cheap, nice staff
Cons: unusual atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Annapurna: