CLOSED: Annapurna

Edinburgh vegetarian restaurant. Specializes in vegetarian Southern Indian cooking. Has brown rice. Local orthodox Rabbi approved. SHUT DOWN, SEPT 2013 CHANGED TO BINDI. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Kosher, Beer/Wine
45 St. Patrick Square (Clerk St, Midlothian)
Edinburgh, Scotland EH8 9ET
0131-6621807

Closed Sunday.

First Review by KelseyApple

Not recommended at all

2 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

All in all, a great disappointment. We went there with a great expectation just to find out that it didn't live up to the mark.

He offers us Popadums to start with followed by main course just to find out at the time of bill that the popadums are charged 5 pounds, instead of being complimentary or just starters for nibbling as suggested by the Manager/waiter. The food was 'OK' and the service was 'POOR'.
We were not given tap water in spite of asking for it 3 times. We were instead advised to order for drinks, and on refusing to order any, we were not even served with simple tap water. I wouldn't recommend this place to any Indian food lover.

Cheers

Pros: The food was average, Located in city center
Cons: Bad Service, Over charged, Rude staff

Annapurna, Edinburgh

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2013

When I ate here it was a perfectly pleasant experience. The food was fine, the waiting staff were happy to help me along with what was vegan on the menu and it wasn't overly expensive. I thik it was a Sunday when I was there and it was very quiet so of course there was no problem getting prompt waiting staff service. Its not too far out the city centre either.

As others have said it is close to Kalpna on the other side of the street allowing you take a look at the menu in both and then decide which you prefer. Both are great in my view.

Pros: Vegan veggie friendly, Tasty food

holiday

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2012

I visited this restaurant whilst on holiday in Edinburgh for a few days. The food was excellent, and the staff knowledgable and very friendly. The bill however was somewhat higher than anticipated

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly, knowledgable staff, generous portions
Cons: More expensive than advertised on menu o

superb

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2012

Have eaten here many times including today. Really deserves a 5 star rating for food and service every time. Easily equal to Kapla which is also good. Give both an equal try as food is excellent

Pros: staff, food, great vegan choice
Cons: none

Expensive and Ask CAREFULLY about Vegan Items

3 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2012

We went in for the lunch special--which was supposed to be 5 pounds per person, but it turned out to be twice that. Also, we were explicitly told that many items were vegan, but when we asked other waiters, we were told differently. The two of us each got a lunch special and 2 beers a piece and it ended up being over 30 pounds. Way too expensive for lunch. The food was very good, though.

Pros: Excellent food, Location
Cons: Misleading price, Unclear about veganism

very disappointing

2 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2012

We ate here about two years ago and decided to go back there. We were sorely disappointed. Staff was extremely pushy and kept trying to get us to order more, which made us feel uncomfortable. Food was bland, one dish consisted mainly of peas that weren't quite done yet and overpriced. There were some issues over the bill too, we were charged too much.

Pros: all vegetarian, location
Cons: dishonest, pushy, bland

A taste of Southern India

4 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2012

Ann Purna is an Indian restaurant serving real Gujarati vegetarian food. Staff were very friendly and welcoming, and they put us at ease and satisfied all our requests. Specify that you are vegan, and they will replace ghee with oil in preparing your food.
To taste a sample of their offer, it is possible to order a thali (portions are good sized), with brown basmati rice and a selection of Indian breads.

Pros: friendly staff , good value , good food

tasty tasty

4 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

over the road from kalpna, but more traditional food.
Good selection of food, with nice owners. Much more of the curry based food we are used to in indian cuisine. However, you could tell the vegetable were cooked in the sauce, rather than just added, flavour flavour flavour! Now run by the previous owners nephew, he has introduced a lunch buffet. The food has improved since he took over and is very good. Has started to use meal websites to offer deals, I recently had a two mains and two starter deal, with a glass of wine. It was £30 for two people, however rice and breads are too expensive. Overall a god option.

Pros: tasty, good location, nice staff
Cons: Expensive add one

Pleasant food, pushy staff

3 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

A good menu, and the food was very nice. The waiter was very pushy, trying to get us to order more food. They understood gluten-free issues, whuch was nice. Some issues over the bill but they were sorted out without difficulty. Overall, nice if not perfect.

Pros: Menu, Gluten free
Cons: Over selling

Decent food, inexperienced waiter

3 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

Both items that we ordered were decent, but it was a bit awkward that the waiter seemed to be trying to push us to order more and seemed disappointed when we didn't (we had said that we were in a hurry). The ambiance was fair- not dirty but not carefully looked after.

Pros: tasty food, approved by local rabbi
Cons: inexperienced staff, ambiance

Food OK, misleading pricing.

2 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2011

I ate here in January 2011 with my partner, during a city break to Edinburgh. We ate in the evening.
We had printed out the register of veggie restaurants from this website in advance. On arriving, we had a look at the menu posted in the window and liked the look of the dishes, so decided to go in for a meal.
After sitting and being handed the menu, I immediately noticed a discrepancy between the prices in this menu and those displayed in the window (approximately £1 more expensive for a main course). I quizzed the waiter about this - he checked the window prices and apologised, saying that the menu in the window was out of date. We were given complimentary popodams. Now, you can draw your own conclusions, but I feel this is very dishonest. It may have been a genuine mistake, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could see the same menu in the window right now. Perhaps I'm too cynical.
I had a spicy aubergine dish for main, with rice and bread. It was very tasty, but much too small, and rather expensive.
I left feeling ripped-off and not full. Not recommended.

Updated from previous review on Thursday January 27, 2011

Pros: tasty food, pleasant staff
Cons: portions much too small, dishonest pricing, expensive

Good food, only OK atmosphere and service

3 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2009

The food was good, but the atmosphere and service were only OK. Ordering was not flowing smoothly, and the place did not look as good as Kalpna on the other side of the street.

Pros: Food
Cons: Service, Atmosphere

my favorite in Europe

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2009

I live in France and I'll return to Scotland just for this restaurant!
The thali was sublime and also the dessert,goulab Jamun.
I'm Vegan, as there was no symbol on the map to differentiate, I asked the lady and she tolds me I could choose what I wanted, they could decline all vegan.
I hope she has not lied, which is often in Indian restaurants in France.

Good and tasty Indian food

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2009

Conveniently located just ahead of the North Bridge. Food tasted very delicious and very Indian. Slightly expensive but that's worth the food being served.

Pros: good staff, location, excellent food
Cons: slightly expensive

food good but honesty an issue

3 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2006

The food here was very good and the prices fair. We left the restaurant at closing time (we were the last to leave) and I realized shortly after that I had forgotten my camera and lonely planet at our table. When I called they said that they had found nothing even though it was not possible for that to have been the case. As a matter of principle, I wouldn't go back.

Pros: good food
Cons: dishonest

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Annapurna: