Annapurna Cuisine

Vegetarian Indian food restaurant. Offers a daily lunch buffet with many choices, all-you-can-eat. Also offers an a la carte menu: dosas, curries, breads, etc... Most dishes contain dairy - vegans to ask. Simple setup with many tables for seating and view of kitchen. Has parking lot. Note that restaurant food is vegetarian but catering menu is not all vegetarian. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Catering, Take-out

First Review by heatherveganmom
Chia
Chia

Tastes good but...

3 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow. Here's my Annapurna Cuisine review.

I had known about this place for a few years and finally decided to give it a try. From the outside, the restaurant seemed like a typical family restaurant. The set up inside is very simple, with the buffet spread to one side, and many tables for seating inside throughout. Diners can see the kitchen and the cooks working from the seating area. On this day, there were a good amount of Indian lunch crowd (a good sign that the food is authentic).

We looked at the lunch buffet, and it offered a good range of dishes, but it had only 2 vegan hot items, so my husband, the vegan, decided that he didn't want to eat here. Instead, I bought an order of masala dosa and also samosas to-go.

While waiting for my order, I watched men bring in grocery by the boxes and cart loads... corn oil, canned beans, conventional vegetables, tubs of yoghurt, white sugar - basically all conventional ingredients and not particularly healthful. Sigh. Personally, I prefer to eat healthy and organic, so I was disappointed by the sight of these products. But this is an Indian restaurant, which I suspect is no different than most other Indian (or Chinese, etc.) restaurants. In other words, just because a restaurant is vegetarian does not guarantee that they use healthful, natural, better quality, or organic ingredients!

Anways, onto the food. The malasa dosa, to my surprise, tasted really good with its large crispy crepe and spiced potato stuff. Very flavorful. It came with tasty dipping sauces (a red chili and tomato sauce as well as a coconut one). I raved about it to my husband while eating. Well, shortly after eating, my stomach felt very heavy and slightly pained for about an hour. Then it got better.

It's not unusal for me (or many people, non-Indians, I know) to experience discomfort after eating Indian food in general due to the spices and oils.

I've yet to eat the samosas... I will toast them tomorrow and eat them with the dipping sauces (a sweet tamarind one and a green mint-yoghurt one). I hope I feel okay.

Overall, I would say to eat here if you like authentic and flavorful vegetarian Indian food... BUT you should have a stomach of iron.

Pros: authentic and tastes good, has parking lot
Cons: conventional ingredients, sensitive stomaches beware
Naan Cee
Naan Cee

Spicy but Good

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2009

Went here with a few friends. The buffet looked really good (we got there early) but we opted to order. I had a lentil dish that was made to my request-ginger spicy. My friends had saag paneer and another dish with cheese and peas in yellow sauce that was also very yummy. Good stuff!

Pros: fair price, yummy
Cons: parking
heatherveganmom
heatherveganmom

Great Indian food

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2007

we love this place. it has very yummy south indian food. they are aware of vegan issues and let you know what to have. great buffet. very nice people run it.

Pros: great food, very friendly service, internet access
Cons: not very good atomosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Annapurna Cuisine: