Indian vegetarian restaurant in Perth. Servers are volunteers, and proceeds go to promote art and culural activities at Annalakshmi Cultural Centre of WA. Payment is "eat all you wish and pay what your heart feels." No alcohol permitted. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by Michael Tait
FRUITnVEG
FRUITnVEG
  • fruititarian

No longer has my business

2 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

Updated from previous review:

Frequented Annalakshmi for 15 months but will no longer give them my money or recommendations..

I have always been polite, respectful, grateful and paid anywhere between $10-$25 per meal per person. I have been a regular face here for 15 months & some weeks I frequent everyday up to twice a day. More times than not on a grand scale over my visits I have received rude and disrespectful service after always being so kind to them. I have placed shinning reviews for this place in the past but enough is enough now when it causes so much disconcertment after and during my visits here.
I will happily provide examples upon request in response to my submitted review.

There have been 2 or 3 inconsistent exceptions to it's staff here in my frequenting over the months but, is just isn't enough in comparison to the majority of mine and friends experiences.

Pros: Potato curry dish is delicious , Plenty of seating
Cons: No food labels, Lack of ingredient knowledge , More time than not service is very rude
jasonlheath
jasonlheath

Great place for a value meal

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2014

Has a nice range of curries and other vegetarian foods, in a lovely location on the balcony in summer.

Pros: Good value, Tasty
Cons: Can get busy
Cynthia1998
Cynthia1998

Amazing!

3 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

Amazing atmosphere, amazing food and just an outstanding place. When you enter Annalakshmi there's a real sense of community. The workers don't treat you like intruders and are kind and always willing to help! The only 2 criticisms i have is that it gets really busy, so you will wait for a long time in the line to get your food and i would love it if the food was labelled so that people know what they're plating up! Must eat at this place! I love how you pay how much you can afford or want to give, but they certainly deserve at least more than $10!

Pros: Lovely food, Great atmosphere, Inexpensive
Cons: Busy, Food not labelled

IsabelleTamm
IsabelleTamm

Delicious food

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

I've been to this restaurant about 5 times now and each time and every time it's amazing food. The desserts are great but not always vegan and there's a good selection of food at the buffet.
There's lots of tables but they fill up quickly so if your bring friends or a big group be sure to make a reservation. The views of the swan river are great and there are tables outside to get a better look.
It's super good value for money, it's pay as you want so some people pay $5 some $25 and you can go back for more as many times as you like. It is spicy though but so are most Indian restaurants.
A great restaurant all around.

Pros: pay as you want, location/view, delicious
Cons: none
Maddi
Maddi

You must go here!

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

Amazing views of the Swan River, gorgeous dockside location and tasty food which "you pay whatever your heart thinks it's worth". I can't imagine how they afford the rent on this prime location while relying on people's goodwill, but this is a great restaurant well worth a visit. The day we went everything was vegan, some of the reviews mention a poor selections for vegans but this wasn't our experience. A good choice of curries and dhaals and rice, absolutely delicious and a view to die for. You're mad if you miss this little gem ;-)

Pros: Amazing location - river views, Delicious food, Pay what you think it's worth
Cons: Limited menu
Moix
Moix

An Indian Gem!

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2012

Had a group dinner here just before christmas.. it's always a fun experience to pick & choose the content of your plate & the buffet is fresh, colourful & delicious. Definitely all vegetarian but I don't believe that it is vegan, at least the dessert is not. The views of the swan river are lovely & the ambience here is buzzing & I have never seen it quiet! Yes you will probably have to line up to get food but the line moves quickly & it's worth it. They do frown upon leaving leftovers & I think this is a good thing for many people to consider. It's "pay what you feel" and I usually pay $10 - $15.

Pros: Delicious Buffet, Great atmosphere, view & decor., Great Value
berrygirl
berrygirl

Nourishing food and great view

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

Just recently had dinner here on a Sunday night. Have been a few times over the past couple of years and each time the options have been vegan. Had yummy potato curry, bean curry, cabbage dish, with plain and spiced rice plus a spicy soup. Enjoyed it very much. We booked a table and glad we did as it was very busy.

Pros: Tasty food, Eat as much as you like, Pay what you like
wellread
wellread

Delicious vegan food

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2011

I thought the quality of the food at Annalakshmi was quite good, so perhaps some changes have been made in the kitchen since some of the older reviews. Not a huge variety of dishes, but enough for a relatively diverse meal including bread, soup, rice, dahl, and 2-3 other curry type wet dishes. An attendant told me nothing had dairy, so perhaps this should be classified as a vegan place now. Or perhaps we got lucky that night. A lot of people did pass through but they never ran out of anything. It's a huge seating area that never completely filled while we were there on a Wednesday. I'd expect crowds on popular nights and when the weather is good. Definitely reserve. Considering the giant hall type seating, the atmosphere is decent. All in all a good experience but certainly nothing super fancy. We paid $15-20 per person for our meals.

Pros: tasty food, cheap, location
Henley
Henley

Good veg option in Perth CBD

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

The food is good, but the place can get pretty packed. As it's served from a buffet, that can mean long lines that snake through the place. Not sure how vegan it is, but it's 100% vegetarian. They frown upon wasted food, so it's best to take a smaller amount and go back for seconds if still hungry.

Pros: Buffet style, location, pay by donation
Cons: big queues, very indian
daftdog
daftdog

Good Basic Food

3 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

A nice place in a beautiful setting with basic but nourishing food. As they have a donation policy I think the range of food is adequate. Very popular.

Pros: Pay by Donation, Friendly Staff
vegan_simon
vegan_simon

left me hungering for something else

2 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2009

The views over the Swan River would be nice except it was so crowded that all the good tables were taken. The vegan food was bland and watery (and there wasn't much of it because the crowd had beaten me to the buffet). I hardly had anything of substance to eat (and was left hungry) so I gave them $3, but was promptly told that $5 was the minimum (so much for paying the amount you thought the food was worth)!!

robo_disco
robo_disco

Has gone downhill

2 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2009

I have always loved the Annalakshmi however since it has moved location the food quality has gone down hill. The location is fantastic and the service and atmosphere lovely. I have also seen some wonderful sitar concerts here. The 'pay what you think it's worth' concept is still there however I once would have paid around $30 - $40 and felt I had got wonderful quality I now feel that it's not worth $10. Still worth it for the location - don't go expecting the same quality with the food.

Pros: Location/ view, sitar concerts, supporting a great concept/ ideology
Cons: watery/ bland food
thelink
thelink

Food with a view

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2009

We went for dinner at Annalakshmi on our first night on holidays in Perth and we liked it a lot, so we went there again on our last night in Perth.

The location of this volunteer run restaurant is fantastic. Upstairs in the Barrack Square Jetty with unobstructed views over the swan river, lucky us! The decor of the place is also very nice.

The friendly volunteers explained to us which dishes are vegan (only the sweets weren't vegan) and we really enjoyed the food.

Enjoy a little walk along the Swan River before or after your meal.

Michael Tait
Michael Tait

Uninspiring food made by volunteers

2 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2008

Large modern permises on the foreshore promise much but deliver little. Food is bland thali style with very little variation. Watery vegetables, thin dhal, sauerkrout-style salad choice of plain or safron rice. No bread at the lunch (Sept 08).Watery cordial. Watery coconut desert passable

Pros: Nice venue, Nice views, Donation
Cons: Bland food, little to choose

Dear Owner and Manager of Annalakshmi: