Anandamide - Psychedelicate...

Raw vegan chocolatier and confectioner. Emphasis is on chocolate and desserts. Opened since Jan 2013. more-less
2040 E 4th St (Cherry Ave)
Long Beach, California 90802
562-991-8019
OPEN NOW

Tue-Sun 11:30am-9:30pm

First Review by AnjiBee

So intense!

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2014

If you love dark chocolate, I've found your heaven.

Like the chocolates they serve, the establishment is small, but concentrated. Opened just this year, everything is beautifully presented, inviting, and "nice and new". The interior design is psychedelic by having four different checkered prints up curving walls. The cashier was cute, enthusiastically helpful, and made us feel like we were going on a chocolate adventure with a new friend. My new cashier friend guided my college friend of fifteen years and I through eight different offerings and liked them all and what I wasn't in love with, she was in love with, and vice versa. However, neither of us cared much for the "white" chocolate which was neither white nor chocolate nor reminiscent of my childhood white chocolate.

It's not on the menu of the website, but the Chocolate Shot is a warm shot glass of melted chocolate that you eat with a spoon and is sweetened with tropical fruit (banana, mango, and guava) as opposed to processed refined sugar. IT IS THE MOST INTENSE CHOCOLATE EXPERIENCE YOU WILL EVER HAVE. We both wished that they served it with some vegan ice cream like a hot fudge sundae. My friend described it as "Death by Chocolate". In my opinion, in comparison to other "Deaths by Chocolate"s, this Chocolate Shot shoots you in the face making all others seem like drowning in chocolate.

Other choices of note were the Super Greens Energy Cake and the Nut Butter Fudge Brownie. For my vegan friends, be aware that the Super Greens Energy Cake is made with honey. It's a new experience of green superfoods, soft granola bar, and topped with intense chocolate. Following the recommendation of a customer that came in after us, we tried the Nut Butter Fudge Brownie. She comes in everyday to get her daily fix and her two methods of ingestion are the Nut Butter Fudge Brownie because it reminds her of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup or the S'mores Bar (which we would've tried too if we hadn't been on chocolate overdose mode already).

If chocolate is your drug of choice, try out Anandamide Psychedelicatessen.

Veg out,

veggiearmy.yelp.com
(coming soon - VeggieArmy.com)

Pros: Fun, Unique Experience, Fresh Chocolate Shot
Cons: Parking, Honey in some items , Only one location
earthville
earthville

Heaven

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2014

If you're in Long Beach (or anywhere in Earth's solar system), do not miss Anandamide. It's a chocolate/cacao lover's dream come true, offering everything from creative gourmet cacao creations to old-school chocolate shakes.

Service is very friendly and knowledgeable, and the whole experience is great.

Enjoy!

chobesoy
chobesoy
  • herbivore

delightful, quaint, chocolate bomb

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2014

Wow I had the most intense chocolate drink here ever. That milkshake is for serious chocolate fans. A bit reluctant to go all out and get everything I wanted since the prices are a bit high, but I'm glad I at least opted for the drink: a chocolate and coconut milk blend of the ultimate dark raw stuff. By the time I got home I had a little bit of it left, mixed it with the almond milk I had a home and made myself a diluted yet still incredible second drink. It was the drink that kept on giving.
Yes, this is a review solely on a milkshake, like pulp fiction, there is plenty one can say about something you think at first is too much to pay for but when you drink it, it's a damn good milkshake :)
I'll splurge again on other items next time I drop by.

Pros: the real stuff, can drool for hours at items
Cons: price

vegannomad2
vegannomad2

What a treat - a unique offering of vegan desserts

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

Pure ingredients, extremely carefully and well made products - fudge, truffles, chocolates. It was a real treat to find Anandamide. Very creativ, brilliantly done. Nothing is too sweet - pure taste of the cocoa and fruits. Clean, made on site in peaceful atmosphere. A treat for vegan chocolate lovers. I definitely intend to go back anytime I am in the area. Don't know of another place like it in the world.

Pros: Vegan, well done
AnjiBee
AnjiBee

Imaginatively conceived raw cacao candies + more

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

With bated breath I've awaited the opening of Anandamide. When store creator, Justin, revealed the concept to me a year or so ago, I was completely enthralled. Having enjoyed his Substantial brand raw chocolates (previously sid&moLLy brand) at local events and cafes -- as well as his previous culinary contributions to the LB brand, Elevated Edibles -- I knew we were really in for something special.

And Anandamide has not disappointed in the least! The array of naturally sweetened, super-food laden, richly filled, and imaginatively conceived raw cacao candies is AMAZING, and added to that plentiful bounty is a growing selection of super-rich raw pies, bars, cakes etc - often with a more fruity bent - from Justin's partner, Adriana. Between the two of them, just about any sweet tooth should be satiated.
As a health conscious vegan with a sophisticated palette, I have to say that these are the ONLY chocolates I am interested in eating (aside from Chef Ito's when I'm down at Au Lac) and I greatly look forward to seeing how Anandamide's line of raw desserts continue to unfold.

Favorite selections thus far: the Boxes of Boxes of Chocolate Delights collection, the limited edition sid&moLLy 'A holistic approach to substance abuse. Vol. 1' collection, the Caramel Filled Monkey Bar, and the S'mores.
Updated from previous review on Friday February 08, 2013

Pros: All Raw Vegan Treats, Naturally Sweetened, Healthy Ingredients, Imaginately Conceived Food & Storefront
Cons: Closed Monday (LOL!)

Dear Owner and Manager of Anandamide - Psychedelicatessen: