Traditional Vietnamese vegetarian restaurant run by Buddhist nun and monks. Noodle dishes are specialties. Uses milk for coffee but no animal products, MSG or processed sugar used in dishes. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Take-out, Buddhist, Vietnamese

First Review by spiceislandvegan
H
H

Lovely spot

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

The review by "spiceislandvegan" already says a lot of things I'd like to say. The place has a very nice vibe, staff are super friendly and humble, and the food is good. The prices are a bit higher than some of the other Vietnamese places in the area, but the portions are also quite bigger so it compensates well. I'm not blown away by the food, as I think some of the other places nearby are tastier, but I give An Lac Duyen 5 Cows because I really like what they're doing and the energy they keep is great. =)

Pros: Very nice Buddhist nuns, Peaceful atmosphere, Good portions
Cons: Food is good, though not spectacular.
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Traditional Vegetarian Buddhist Vietnamese

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2013

The first time I visited this restaurant, I brought my vegan Vietnamese friend to translate the menu for me. My friend talked to the chef of the restaurant. It's a good thing because of the language barrier. I was told that although the menu says 'eggs', there are no eggs in the dish. Due to language barrier, they don't know how to translate items on the menu from Vietnamese to English. We were also told that they are making new menu.

The chef is a Buddhist nun and when we were there for lunch we (with my Vietnamese friend) were served by nun and monks. We were told that the restaurant does not use MSG or processed sugar. There are no animal products in the dishes. Although they use milk in the coffee drinks.

Location: It's in the New Seoul Plaza in Garden Grove. It is next to a big Korean BBQ place for crying out loud. Parking maybe crowded so I don't know what to do if I can't find a parking spot. Maybe park at the shopping center next door to it.

Food: OMG! This is the best Vegetarian Vietnamese! The second time I visited, I brought my husband and he said that he had the best BBQ vermicelli dish in this restaurant. I had the Smoked Duck Noodle Soup. So yummy! I like the hot tea since it tastes a bit sweet, like it has a flower or something in it.

Price: Reasonable since portion is big. My husband could not finish his BBQ vermicelli.

Service: Very good! The first time I was there, we were served by monks. They were very polite and friendly. The second time, a young guy served us and he can speak English so it was great. All in all, they provide a great and friendly service.

Atmosphere: On the outside, parking lot is crowded and a lot of people come and go to the Korean restaurant. However, once inside, it is peaceful and tranquil. There is a wall of water or a fountain that provides a peaceful sound. The music is also calming all the nerves of fighting for a parking spot outside.

We came back again the following week and this time there were a lot of parking spots. I think Friday night is better than Saturday night. Maybe Sunday is even better with the parking situation.

Food is so delicious. It is our little secret place and not too many people know about it yet.

My husband ordered broken rice. I ordered 'fish' noodle soup.

Service is always excellent. Workers are so humble.

Pros: Yummy food, Large serving, Tranquil environment, quiet
Cons: Parking can be a problem

Dear Owner and Manager of An Lac Duyen: