CLOSED: Amore Mio Pizza

Serves meat, veg options available. In-house baked pane and focaccia. Has seitan, tofu, and fresh veggies topping. Will make vegan panini. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Italian, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
Via de Benci 22r (Corso Tintori)
Florence, Italy 50122

Open Mon-Sat 11am-3am.

• Wheelchair accessible
  • Cash only

First Review by Unaban
GreenGarnet
GreenGarnet

Food preparation let strict vegans...

2 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

... feel uncomfortable.
From outside the "Amore Mio" is strongly advertising for vegetarian and vegan food.
When I came into the snack and take away bar, I had a look at the menu and could not find any vegan stuff... I asked for vegan food and the two men working there told me, that this is not on the menu, because they always prepare it freshly. That sounded great so I ordered a vegan sandwich with seitan. Then I saw that my bread was lying next to a big block of meat on the same slat :-( I really had to calm down. The rest of the preparation I could not see, but unfortunately I can not disprove the things "Unaban" wrote about in her review...
The sandwich I got was not bad, but also not very delicious. It consisted of corn-bread, Rucola, olive paste, tomatoes, mushrooms, seitan and slices of orange. The negative point was that the mushrooms came out of a tin, the positive point was the bread and the slices of orange that gave the food an inventive touch. This is the second "cow" in the evaluation. The first one is for the fact that they offer the opportunity for a vegan snack.

Pros: freshly prepared, freindly staff
Cons: preparation not strictly vegan, two seats
SidheRa
SidheRa

Unexpectedly Cool

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2013

I was wandering around Florence with a number of high school students, and they were hungry. We accidentally stopped here (it's right next to a gelateria), and I'm glad for it.

Getting a vegan sandwich in Italy can be a tricky thing, least of all because Italians don't really understand what you mean by vegan, but the owner helpfully explained that he knew what I meant (and he actually did understand it), and he made a really excellent vegan panino with eggplant and grilled vegetables for me.

I didn't order pizza, so I can't speak to the other review except to say that most pizza places in Italy will serve you "pizza rossa" if you order a whole one (it also helps to specify that you want it without cheese, just to be safe). I do agree, however, that this shop was not the place to try to order a special pizza. It's just got the standard glass case set up.

He spoke English well enough to joke with my students, and he was very kind when I spoke to him in my somewhat rusty Italian. Overall, this was a very nice, unexpectedly cool take away shop to stumble upon.

Pros: cheap, knowledgeable and friendly owner
Cons: only sandwiches are vegan
Unaban
Unaban

Give this one a miss!

1 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2013

The lack of earlier reviews may have something to do with a natural reluctance to criticise a restaurant that makes an effort to cater for vegans. I do not share that reluctance as our experience here was just dreadful. It is a rather scruffy little takeaway that claims to have vegan pizzas, but when I asked for one I was told that I would have to wait about half an hour as they were made somewhere "round the corner". I saw the proprietor slicing cheese on the meat slicer which had not been cleaned and had pieces of animal flesh still clinging to it. We didn't wait for the pizza!

Pros: None
Cons: Too many to list

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Amore Mio Pizza: