Amico Bio - Holborn

Intimate vegetarian organic Italian restaurant with plenty of vegan options. Award winning chef co-owns. Most produce used is from their own family farm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Organic, Beer/Wine
43 New Oxford St, Holborn
London, England WC1A 1BG
020-7836-7509

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Edent
vegan_for_life
vegan_for_life

We like it here, we like it a lot

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2015

We have been here MANY times. I've been here with vegans and omnivores, everyone has really enjoyed it.

The main guy (don't whether he is the owner or manager or what) is really friendly. We haven't seen him in a while there but most of the other staff are friendly too, particularly one waiter recently who was quite the entertainer with all his jokes.

The food is brilliant. And is great value for money, with portions being very good. I'm told by friends and family that the vegetarian dishes, such as the goat's cheese starter, are brilliant as are the vegan dishes, like the tempura vegetables main.

Their desserts don't really do it for me. I find their cakes too dense, but the ice-creams are nice.

Pros: Great food, Very friendly staff, Good value for money
LCremona
LCremona

Lovely dinner experience, wholesome food

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2015

We emailed regarding a reservation, and despite no reply showed up at 7:30 on a Friday evening anyway to find plenty of room. By 8:30pm the restaurant was completely full. A cheerful, diligent and quality-focused server was fine accepting our order in 2 parts.

We started with an amico bio salad, which consisted of a giant bowl of greens, fennel, pea shoots and sides of sampling of little bowls of marinated, grilled vegetables and oil. Very wholesome, fun and visually appealing.

Next we had a "pie" which was really a vegetable casserole with mashed potatoes on top. Delicious, but my husband wished the vegetables had been more dense and plentiful.

Finally we finished with the Piatto Unico which included soup, risotto, beans, salad, focaccia, potatoes, mayonnaise and cabbage. Delicious. The vegetables are not seasoned - so you have to appreciate the quality of the produce and preparation. My husband said he would have preferred a bit more creativity on the seasoning however.

Wonderful service and delicious vegan food. Delightful space to dine. Would recommend to anyone looking for very high quality dining experience but not a flavor extravaganza!

Pros: High quality food and preparation, Cheerful service, Great atmosphere
Cons: Lacking rich flavors, Ability to make reservation
konlish
konlish

Nice place, good food

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2015

They used to have very nice pizza's shame they have stopped them now. They are a lacto ova vegetarian restaurant with Vegan options.We have been to both Amico Bios. The owner Pascal is such a friendly guy.

They have a paper based lunch menu that changes every day.They also sell some of their organic vegetables from their own garden which I just love. They also sell organic pastas and beans.

Good food, nice environment.

As it has non-vegan options I give it a 4 star.

Pros: Good Food, Nice Environment
Cons: Staff English needs improvement

Pitaya
Pitaya

Nice Italian restaurant

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2015

We had hard time to choose from different delicious sounding options on the menu. There are also lots of vegan options. Finally we chose set Christmas menu. Some of the dishes were really tasty, some of them a little bit boring. But everything tasted really fresh and I really value that they use biodynamic products that they have largely grown by themselves in their farms in Italy.

Pros: Central location, Authentic Italian restaurant, Organic products
Cons: Some dishes a bit boring
floopylou
floopylou

bland

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2014

I went for a work lunch to the New Oxford Street branch. A couple of the dishes people had were enjoyed including the goats cheese starter and a risotto main from the set menu but the vast majority were poor. The polenta starter on the set menu was completely tasteless and not eaten. I had bruschetta to start which was nice but the vegetable and mushroom burger I chose for my main at £14 was completely bland again. There is nothing Italian about non-seasoned food! My colleague had the filled pumpkin pasta, the pasta wasn't cooked properly, another colleague's bake was cold, so both were left. The staff were not unfriendly as mentioned in previous comments but the toilet were not clean and overall the food at lunch time was rubbish. I have seen quite a few comments about it being tasteless food, it is a shame they aren't taking on customer feedback.

Pros: organic, gluten free options
Cons: tasteless food, unclean toilets
megs828
megs828

average food

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2014

We ate here because it was the closest vegan restaurant to our hotel. The food was ok but nothing special. We ordered the bread/olive oil starter which came with a lot of bread. The gnocchi was good but the pasta with pumpkin was tasteless and the pumpkin was a bit too hard. I ordered a side salad that had way too much salt on it. We had a dessert (I think it was an apple crumble) which was nothing special.

Pros: Vegan options, Good service
Cons: Salty or tasteless food
MSR
MSR

Pretty Good

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2014

Had an excellent lunch here. Inexpensive considering its location. Also tried the Cloth Fair branch - just as good.

LauraMay
LauraMay

Pretty average

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2014

I've been to many vegans and vegetarians across Europe, as well as knowing proper Italian food, and I'd have to say although this place isn't bad, it's not great either.

I took two omni friends who were equally not impressed and one admitted to still being hungry upon leaving. The portions were small and not filling, I actually ordered two mains after my starter, the Aubergine and the gnocchi. The sauce/pesto for both dishes was watery and quite bland, as well as my friend's risotto. The Aubergine dish was just a small half of an Aubergine with a couple pieces of onion, tomato and chick peas, no herbs or real distinct taste. The pumpkin slices in my starter were the only well-seasoned food I had there. The portions were way too small for the price (each of my mains was about £10-my bill was £33 without service charge and no drinks) I actually spent less money for exceptional food and setting earlier in the week at la suite west's vegan restaurant which is much fancier. the menu for this place is far more exciting on paper.

The staff was nice but the waiters were pretty distracted, forgot my dessert etc.

This place is fine for a quick pick-me-up but with all the amazing veggie places nearby, some just around the corner, I would go elsewhere if you want a dining experience as opposed to food you could just make at home.

Pros: central location, nice setting, varied menu
Cons: expensive, small portions, bland flavours
Miggi
Miggi

Veggie Italian

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

Amico Bio had a good range of vegan / vegan-option dishes and a three-course set meal with wine offer.
We tried the bean hummus and bruscetta for starters, side of onion rings, a pasta dish and seitan burger for main and chocolate cake and vegan cheese board for third course.
Everything was beautifully presented and had good flavour, with organic ingredients grown on their own farms. The bean hummus and pasta dish were a bit bland but pleasant. The onion rings were fabulous. The burger was very meaty. The chocolate cake with pear sorbet was a bit disappointing as the cake was quite dry and the sorbet very icy. The vegan cheeseboard with slices of four different Vegusto cheeses showed there is no excuse for anyone to refuse to quit cheese!
Overall, a pleasant meal and vegan Italian made a nice change but felt they could do better.

Pros: range of vegan options, vegan cheese board, onion rings
Cons: dry cake, some dishes bland
CathX
CathX

Not as good as the Cloth Fair branch...

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2014

Have eaten at the Amico Bio in Cloth Fair and have always had a nice time - good atmosphere, very friendly and helpful staff and nice food; so was very disappointed that the Holborn branch wasn't up to the same standard. A waitress went off to find us a table and never came back; other customers came in and left as it took the staff so long to see to them and then seemed to have a problem if people hadn't booked even though the place was half empty; two members of staff had a noticeable dispute in front of diners; our drinks never arrived; the vegan options were poor and the staff unhelpful in recommending, not seeming to know what was on the menu; food was lukewarm; it took a number of attempts to get the bill... Won't be going again.

Pros: Easy to find and central
Cons: Bad organisation
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Wouldn't Bother

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

Varied menu with lots of vegan options and good choice for coeliacs too. However the meagre portion sizes and average quality are not reflected in the quite expensive prices. The salad I had sounded amazing on the menu but turned out to be mostly lettuce with some tiny quantities of garnish. My pasta arrived lukewarm to cold. There are many other places I would rather eat in London.

Pros: Varied Menu, Friendly Staff
Cons: Expensive, Average Quality, Small Portions
Sciurus85
Sciurus85

Ok

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2013

This place is very nice and the staff is very friendly. Food on the menu sounds amazing and there is a very good variety, but the portion are quite small, taste a little bit plain and it is quite expensive. we were 4 people, taking a 2 starters, 4 main courses, 1 pizza and and 4 desserts, we spend 110£.

Pros: Good vegan selection, Friendly staff
Cons: plain taste, quite expansive, small portion
SpyraSea
SpyraSea

Delicious Italian cooking

Posted on 10 / 23 / 2013

We though the food was delicious, really Italian-tasty. We both had set vegan menus for 12 pounds each (vegetable soup, pasta/pizza, ice-cream). We loved the fact to be able to try vegan pizza. The dough was excellent, vegan-mozzarella something to get used to but a nice try. Vegetable soup was excellent but small portions. Vegetable pasta was just as good. Ice-cream was fly-me-to-the-heaven delicious. The only reason I was a bit disappointed in the end was when the lady brought us the receipt totaling 45 pounds but we had 2 set menus for 24?! All was settled in the end, but nonetheless it ruined the experience.

Pros: Vegan pizza, Vegan ice-cream
henj
henj

good restaurant

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

the menu contains signs for vegan dishes and for vegan-optional dishes. in that case, I would expect a good dish if I order a VO dish and asking to make it V. I was wrong. I ordered the risotto and it was very disappointing. the waiter said he's very sorry but the truth is the rissoto is much better if not vegan. well, I think he should have said it before. any way I ordered the vegan lasagna and it was great. the waiter was super nice.

Pros: good food, good service, central
Cons: don't ask to make vegan a VO dish
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

Bread-ish awkwardness redeemed by vegan affogato.

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2013

My bloke and I came to Amico Bio for lunch, quite early in the day we thought, but it was already pretty busy -- a good sign! We were seated by a very friendly waitress and waited on by her and her colleague -- they were both pleasant and cheery throughout :)

We weren't too hungry and we knew we were going to be eating a fancy dinner in the evening, so we decided to just order a main course option each, even though the menu is classic Italian style with lots and lots of courses. However, our waitress had other ideas and seemed totally baffled by the idea of ordering just one course! I'll admit, this did bug me a LITTLE, as we felt kinda bullied into ordering the bread-basket starter. Again, our waitress was friendly and nice but really, we didn't WANT bread! But bread we ended up getting... and actually, it was very nice. There was a LOT of it and we didn't want to finish the whole thing, but we did enjoy it! Unlike your usual bread basket there was a lot of variety... however, we were a bit leery of the fact that there seemed to be cheesy breadsticks in there, when it's marked as vegan on the menu!

Anyway, after the slightly awkward bread-basket course (would've been better to get everything at once TBH), we got our mains. I had the tofu sausage dish and my bloke had the roasted pepper with puy lentils. When the plates arrived we kinda realised why the waitress had been so insistent about the bread -- the portions are not large. However, by this time we were full of carbs, so all was well. The tofu sausage was really delicious, well cooked and in a lovely arrangement with beetroot etc. I liked it a lot! My bloke was less impressed with his roast pepper -- the pepper itself was kinda lukewarm when it arrived (had maybe been sitting under the hotplate waiting for my dish?), and the puy lentils could have done with more flavour.

Being full of bread I HADN'T WANTED DAMMIT, I couldn't try dessert :( However, aforementioned bloke was EXTREMELY excited by the vegan affogato, and claimed it made up for his less-than-fabby main dish. Yay?

(Fun unrelated anecdote: While we were eating, two women came in and were seated. Upon realising the place was veggie, they looked horrified and started to leave. A waiter very pleasantly tried to convince them to stay, and one of them snootily announced, "WE DON'T EAT VEGETARIAN FOOD BECAUSE WE DON'T LIKE VEGETABLES!" The waiting staff looked so sad and baffled! It made us giggle, so thanks, Snooty Lady!)

Pros: Lots of courses = lots of choice, Vegan affogato :), Nice, cheery staff
Cons: BREAD-RELATED PEER PRESSURE, Quite small portions, Roasted pepper dish a bit meh :(
Kris G
Kris G

Great fresh italian food

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2013

The restaurant is Italian and at its best. Full of flavors, ran by very energetic Italian lady which will ensure you have all you need and you can enjoy your food. We had best mozzarella and best pizza ever. Even the olive oil was to die for. Place is small but definitely worth visiting. Happy to found it!

artiechoker
artiechoker

Amazing Vegan Pizza

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2013

I went here last night and had some amazing vegan pizza. It was a proper thin and crispy base with rice mozzarella on top, tasted amazing. And only £7.50! For dessert I had some apple fritters with chocolate sauce which were slightly greasy but pressing in a junk food kind of way. The meal plus a soft drink came to £16, good value in central London. It had a lovely atmosphere and there were quite a few repeat customers coming through the doors.

Pros: Vegan Pizza!, Authentic, Good Value
lauraXsynthesis
lauraXsynthesis

Great atmosphere

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

I'd been to the Barbican branch once before and was very impressed and this was my first visit to the new Holborn Amicio Bio. I really liked the atmosphere - the place was packed though that did mean a bit of a wait for ordering and receiving so I wouldn't go here on my way to the theatre. It's not a cheap place to eat, though they have various deals including a particularly good one at lunchtime.

On to the food which ranged very widely. The ingredients were clearly good quality, but some had lots of flavour and some was bland. I recommend the peppers on bruschetta and the seitan kebab but not the artichoke main course or the barley pudding or pear cake. There was lots of other vegan stuff on the menu and I'll certainly be returning and trying those. The juices are great too - an organic brand from Italy.

Pros: Unusual cuisine - organic Italian veg, Good for special occasions, Location
Cons: Food hit & miss, Can be slow service, Will be too pricey for many
cade
cade

Amico Bio - Holborn

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

This is the worst vegetarian food I have ever had in Europe.
Tasteless pizzas - the pizza base was a bland disk without flavour, the completely bland tomato sauce's only connection to a tomato was a similarity of orangeness to varieties of tomato, the small sliced disks of mozarella tasted smoked. The risotto was more like rice cooked with cabbage water, and a dish of mixed vegetables was utterly bland. The ice cream was full of granular ice crystals, a very unpleasant texture and hardly chocolatey. I thought the food here was a disservice to vegetarianism.

Pros: Location
Cons: Awful food
Edent
Edent

A New Favourite

Posted on 03 / 18 / 2013

A great assortment of vegetarian and vegan cuisine. Booking is a must as the smallish restaurant gets very busy in the evening.

Food is delicious - especially the desserts - and there's a wide range of wines.

Pros: Italian, vegan
Cons: crowded, limited beer

Dear Owner and Manager of Amico Bio - Holborn :