Amico Bio - Holborn

Intimate vegetarian organic Italian restaurant with plenty of vegan options. Award winning chef co-owns. Most produce used is from their own family farm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Italian, Beer/Wine

Miggi
Miggi

Veggie Italian

3 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

Amico Bio had a good range of vegan / vegan-option dishes and a three-course set meal with wine offer.
We tried the bean hummus and bruscetta for starters, side of onion rings, a pasta dish and seitan burger for main and chocolate cake and vegan cheese board for third course.
Everything was beautifully presented and had good flavour, with organic ingredients grown on their own farms. The bean hummus and pasta dish were a bit bland but pleasant. The onion rings were fabulous. The burger was very meaty. The chocolate cake with pear sorbet was a bit disappointing as the cake was quite dry and the sorbet very icy. The vegan cheeseboard with slices of four different Vegusto cheeses showed there is no excuse for anyone to refuse to quit cheese!
Overall, a pleasant meal and vegan Italian made a nice change but felt they could do better.

Pros: range of vegan options, vegan cheese board, onion rings
Cons: dry cake, some dishes bland
CathX
CathX

Not as good as the Cloth Fair branch...

2 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2014

Have eaten at the Amico Bio in Cloth Fair and have always had a nice time - good atmosphere, very friendly and helpful staff and nice food; so was very disappointed that the Holborn branch wasn't up to the same standard. A waitress went off to find us a table and never came back; other customers came in and left as it took the staff so long to see to them and then seemed to have a problem if people hadn't booked even though the place was half empty; two members of staff had a noticeable dispute in front of diners; our drinks never arrived; the vegan options were poor and the staff unhelpful in recommending, not seeming to know what was on the menu; food was lukewarm; it took a number of attempts to get the bill... Won't be going again.

Pros: Easy to find and central
Cons: Bad organisation
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Wouldn't Bother

3 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

Varied menu with lots of vegan options and good choice for coeliacs too. However the meagre portion sizes and average quality are not reflected in the quite expensive prices. The salad I had sounded amazing on the menu but turned out to be mostly lettuce with some tiny quantities of garnish. My pasta arrived lukewarm to cold. There are many other places I would rather eat in London.

Pros: Varied Menu, Friendly Staff
Cons: Expensive, Average Quality, Small Portions
Sciurus85
Sciurus85

Ok

3 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2013

This place is very nice and the staff is very friendly. Food on the menu sounds amazing and there is a very good variety, but the portion are quite small, taste a little bit plain and it is quite expensive. we were 4 people, taking a 2 starters, 4 main courses, 1 pizza and and 4 desserts, we spend 110£.

Pros: Good vegan selection, Friendly staff
Cons: plain taste, quite expansive, small portion
SpyraSea
SpyraSea

Delicious Italian cooking

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2013

We though the food was delicious, really Italian-tasty. We both had set vegan menus for 12 pounds each (vegetable soup, pasta/pizza, ice-cream). We loved the fact to be able to try vegan pizza. The dough was excellent, vegan-mozzarella something to get used to but a nice try. Vegetable soup was excellent but small portions. Vegetable pasta was just as good. Ice-cream was fly-me-to-the-heaven delicious. The only reason I was a bit disappointed in the end was when the lady brought us the receipt totaling 45 pounds but we had 2 set menus for 24?! All was settled in the end, but nonetheless it ruined the experience.

Pros: Vegan pizza, Vegan ice-cream

henj
henj

good restaurant

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

the menu contains signs for vegan dishes and for vegan-optional dishes. in that case, I would expect a good dish if I order a VO dish and asking to make it V. I was wrong. I ordered the risotto and it was very disappointing. the waiter said he's very sorry but the truth is the rissoto is much better if not vegan. well, I think he should have said it before. any way I ordered the vegan lasagna and it was great. the waiter was super nice.

Pros: good food, good service, central
Cons: don't ask to make vegan a VO dish
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

Bread-ish awkwardness redeemed by vegan affogato.

3 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2013

My bloke and I came to Amico Bio for lunch, quite early in the day we thought, but it was already pretty busy -- a good sign! We were seated by a very friendly waitress and waited on by her and her colleague -- they were both pleasant and cheery throughout :)

We weren't too hungry and we knew we were going to be eating a fancy dinner in the evening, so we decided to just order a main course option each, even though the menu is classic Italian style with lots and lots of courses. However, our waitress had other ideas and seemed totally baffled by the idea of ordering just one course! I'll admit, this did bug me a LITTLE, as we felt kinda bullied into ordering the bread-basket starter. Again, our waitress was friendly and nice but really, we didn't WANT bread! But bread we ended up getting... and actually, it was very nice. There was a LOT of it and we didn't want to finish the whole thing, but we did enjoy it! Unlike your usual bread basket there was a lot of variety... however, we were a bit leery of the fact that there seemed to be cheesy breadsticks in there, when it's marked as vegan on the menu!

Anyway, after the slightly awkward bread-basket course (would've been better to get everything at once TBH), we got our mains. I had the tofu sausage dish and my bloke had the roasted pepper with puy lentils. When the plates arrived we kinda realised why the waitress had been so insistent about the bread -- the portions are not large. However, by this time we were full of carbs, so all was well. The tofu sausage was really delicious, well cooked and in a lovely arrangement with beetroot etc. I liked it a lot! My bloke was less impressed with his roast pepper -- the pepper itself was kinda lukewarm when it arrived (had maybe been sitting under the hotplate waiting for my dish?), and the puy lentils could have done with more flavour.

Being full of bread I HADN'T WANTED DAMMIT, I couldn't try dessert :( However, aforementioned bloke was EXTREMELY excited by the vegan affogato, and claimed it made up for his less-than-fabby main dish. Yay?

(Fun unrelated anecdote: While we were eating, two women came in and were seated. Upon realising the place was veggie, they looked horrified and started to leave. A waiter very pleasantly tried to convince them to stay, and one of them snootily announced, "WE DON'T EAT VEGETARIAN FOOD BECAUSE WE DON'T LIKE VEGETABLES!" The waiting staff looked so sad and baffled! It made us giggle, so thanks, Snooty Lady!)

Pros: Lots of courses = lots of choice, Vegan affogato :), Nice, cheery staff
Cons: BREAD-RELATED PEER PRESSURE, Quite small portions, Roasted pepper dish a bit meh :(
Kris G
Kris G

Great fresh italian food

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2013

The restaurant is Italian and at its best. Full of flavors, ran by very energetic Italian lady which will ensure you have all you need and you can enjoy your food. We had best mozzarella and best pizza ever. Even the olive oil was to die for. Place is small but definitely worth visiting. Happy to found it!

artiechoker
artiechoker

Amazing Vegan Pizza

5 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2013

I went here last night and had some amazing vegan pizza. It was a proper thin and crispy base with rice mozzarella on top, tasted amazing. And only £7.50! For dessert I had some apple fritters with chocolate sauce which were slightly greasy but pressing in a junk food kind of way. The meal plus a soft drink came to £16, good value in central London. It had a lovely atmosphere and there were quite a few repeat customers coming through the doors.

Pros: Vegan Pizza!, Authentic, Good Value
lauraXsynthesis
lauraXsynthesis

Great atmosphere

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

I'd been to the Barbican branch once before and was very impressed and this was my first visit to the new Holborn Amicio Bio. I really liked the atmosphere - the place was packed though that did mean a bit of a wait for ordering and receiving so I wouldn't go here on my way to the theatre. It's not a cheap place to eat, though they have various deals including a particularly good one at lunchtime.

On to the food which ranged very widely. The ingredients were clearly good quality, but some had lots of flavour and some was bland. I recommend the peppers on bruschetta and the seitan kebab but not the artichoke main course or the barley pudding or pear cake. There was lots of other vegan stuff on the menu and I'll certainly be returning and trying those. The juices are great too - an organic brand from Italy.

Pros: Unusual cuisine - organic Italian veg, Good for special occasions, Location
Cons: Food hit & miss, Can be slow service, Will be too pricey for many
cade
cade

Amico Bio - Holborn

2 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

This is the worst vegetarian food I have ever had in Europe.
Tasteless pizzas - the pizza base was a bland disk without flavour, the completely bland tomato sauce's only connection to a tomato was a similarity of orangeness to varieties of tomato, the small sliced disks of mozarella tasted smoked. The risotto was more like rice cooked with cabbage water, and a dish of mixed vegetables was utterly bland. The ice cream was full of granular ice crystals, a very unpleasant texture and hardly chocolatey. I thought the food here was a disservice to vegetarianism.

Pros: Location
Cons: Awful food
Edent
Edent

A New Favourite

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2013

A great assortment of vegetarian and vegan cuisine. Booking is a must as the smallish restaurant gets very busy in the evening.

Food is delicious - especially the desserts - and there's a wide range of wines.

Pros: Italian, vegan
Cons: crowded, limited beer

Dear Owner and Manager of Amico Bio - Holborn :