Serves meat, veg options available. Spanish tapas and cuisine. Offers a specially marked vegan menu, and probably about 40% of the main is vegetarian. Has espresso drinks, organic and vegan wine. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Spanish, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

Neridah
Neridah

Good quality tapas

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

There was a specially marked vegan menu, and staff were knowledgeable about vegan alcohols, including a vegan sherry. Tapas was super tasty, and the atmosphere was friendly.

Pros: Separate vegan menu , Vegan-friendly staff, Vegan Wines
compassionatecook
compassionatecook

Sophisticated and incredibly vegan conscious

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2012

For a non-vegan (non-vegetarian!) restaurant, Ambiente is incredibly conscious of vegans. Everything we ordered was fantastic, and we ordered a LOT of food! The restaurant is so vegan-friendly that they've created a separate vegan menu by marking their regular menu with little dots to indicate which items already are or can be made vegan. Even the wine list indicates which wines are vegan. The decor and ambience were really lovely, and the food we had was fabulous. We had the only vegan dessert, which was churros with hot chocolate for dipping. The service was fantastic, and our experience overall was really, really positive. I'd love to see more vegetarian and vegan restaurants have the kind of sophistication, professionalism and nice ambience that we've seen in many non-vegan restaurants like this one.

Pros: fabulous food, very vegan-conscious, fantastic service
Livinglost
Livinglost

Really pleased

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

I had heard great things about this place for vegans, so one day a friend and I walked in. It was a strange time, around 4pm on a Saturday. We walked in, not having a clue what was going on, there is a small sort of waiting area downstairs, I assume all staff were too busy to find us so others more pushy, ended up being helped first. I do think this needs looked at.

However, having been given the menu, we decided on the vegetable paella for two and as that would take 35mins (as all paellas do take some time) we thought we'd order a couple of dishes first. I checked with the waitress if something had any dairy in it and I was handed the menu again, but this time with stickers next to everything dairy free. This also included the meat items, but the whole menu was covered in little stickers, there were plenty veggie options and apart from the obvious with cheese or cream, they all appeared to be vegan. There were also other notes on this menu so I assume this is for other items which may cause allergies.

I settled on a blackbean and cashew fritter and my omni friend had a chicken dish.

Mine was very tasty and we didn't have to wait long, although we were forced to stand while we waited and were then taken upstairs with our drinks when our starter was ready.

The paella came out and looked small, but was quite deceptive, so the waiter offered to pack it up the remainder for us. Warning if you do this, the package will leak oil! I found this out when my jeans ended up with delightful oily patches.

Still, it was very nice and a great choice for vegans and reasonably priced. I would recommend booking though as it was really getting busy when we left close to 6. I will certainly be visiting again.

Pros: very vegan friendly, tasty, reasonable prices
Cons: slightly awkward but friendly service

Alyson
Alyson

Surprisingly good for vegans

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2011

I was in York for work, arriving Sunday evening. I had checked Happy Cow for veggie/vegan places but none were going to be open at that time. A colleague said that this place came up on her search for vegetarian so we gave it a go. On informing the waitress that I was vegan she went and got a specially marked up menu and many of the vegetarian tapas dishes were vegan, and didn't mean 'missing' the non-vegan thing out either. The three of us had a good selection of dishes - about 3 per person is about right - and it was nice to try lots of different things. All the ones I had were good. Wine list also specified vegetarian / vegan. So, a good place to go if the fully vegetarian / vegan places are closed. Nice decor and surroundings. Reasonably priced, and the food section of our bill for 3 people only came to just over £30.

Pros: Vegan menu, Reasonable price, Surroundings
Cons: Meat/fish served

Dear Owner and Manager of Ambiente: